Was Lucic's penalty a good call??

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
grey area.....it was a blatant hit from behind, it did cause injury......I'm on the fence but all in all i think it should have been a 5 min major in my books
Well, I do agree about the injury part, I'm not sure about the blatant hit from behind though. Spacek saw Lucic coming and he created that situation. When I saw the hit and him walking around bleeding I thought Lucic made a mistake but seeing it after the fact, I don't blame him fully. I can see a 2 minute and maybe even a 4 but certainly not a game misconduct. Bruins could have used him last night but that's hockey.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Should have been a 2 min boarding penalty. That has been the standard this post season.
Hopefully no suspension. That would be a real stretch after what others have gotten away with.

true enough but i try not to base any calls on other calls made in other games, every ref sees things different, maybe he made a bad call and to harsh of a call, but with the amount of guys gettin they're heads taken out.......

i'm a guy who loves big hits, loves the rough high speed game, but i still hate seeing guys put out of action by hits that could have been avoided. lucic could have taken him in the shoulder, didnt have to get him strait from behind...and thats coming from a lucic fan

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But how does he avoid hitting him from behind when Spacek turned at the last second? I don't see how he could have avoided it.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
According to the rule books, the refs screwed up BUT, I am not going to whine about it, instead, I'd like the opinion of my Canuckian friends here at S&M. Check out the link.
Referees got Milan Lucic's ejection wrong | Yardbarker.com

I looked at the video several times. I dont see where he turned away like the writer says or that it was not a boarding call because his feet were touching the boards. I dont see his skates touching until he gets hit. This is a penalty IMO but not a game misconduct. As for making it out that he exaggerated the injury, I dont think he did. That was a hard hit and I would assume it would knock out the wind for anyone taking that kind of hit. Getting the wind knocked out of you takes a few mins. to get back.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
But how does he avoid hitting him from behind when Spacek turned at the last second? I don't see how he could have avoided it.

imo weather the guy was facing the boards or not, lucic was honed in on the #'s, he could have shoulder to shoulderd him, it was a boarding call regardless but given the injury, the cut, anmd the fact it was blatently from behind, i think a mayjor would have been a good call, but like i said with things the way they are with injuries in the NHL, i think the ref was making an example.....bad call maybe but like i said, now adays its such a grey area when it comes to hits that its up to the ref and thats that

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you look at the video at .29 seconds you can see his right foot go up against the boards. If his breath got knocked out of him how does he get up and skate off the ice? I've had the wind knocked out of me a bunch of times and I was never able to get back on my feet, all I can remember is gasping hard for air.

Tough call I guess, I can certainly see a penalty but not a game misconduct. It's going to be a good one tonight and I can hardly wait to watch it.
My poor wife, she doesn't like this time of year.:rollingpin:

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I like the call, he could of avoided making the hit that bad. But the calls are everywhere. One night that wouldn't even be a 2 minute, the next it's a 5 and a game.

Keri Fraser said it should be a game if the player gets cut. Well, Kane got cut last night by a hit, not even a 2 min, looked a lot like a lucic hit actually.

Ref's need to stop calling it how they feel and call it by the rules so there is no grey area.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you look at the video at .29 seconds you can see his right foot go up against the boards. If his breath got knocked out of him how does he get up and skate off the ice? I've had the wind knocked out of me a bunch of times and I was never able to get back on my feet, all I can remember is gasping hard for air.

Tough call I guess, I can certainly see a penalty but not a game misconduct. It's going to be a good one tonight and I can hardly wait to watch it.
My poor wife, she doesn't like this time of year.:rollingpin:

I looked at it again and hmmmmm close but I still think we are splitting hairs. Tough for a ref to make that decision when we have the luxury of frame by frame review and they have live action to make the call. Yeah tough call. I like what one sport commentator said, call a penalty if it could result in a serious injury or the result of a potential goal due to a infraction on the play....like Burrows penalty last night. :)

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm all for calling a penalty if it is legit, if a guy draws blood on a legal hit there should be no penalty. I believe that because Lucic drew blood on the guy, that was why he was ejected, I don't believe that the hit was the reason for the ejection. Spacek made it look a lot worse than it was IMO but again, such is hockey and your not changing the refs mind once he makes a call.

Top Bottom