Waiparous Conditions?

cbk7

Reaction score
Anybody been out that way? Wanted to do a day trip this weekend, but not sure if there's enough snow....

Thanks

Cliff Clavin

Reaction score
I have quaded in waiporous but never sledded...did not really know that sledding was allowed....do they get much more snow than calgary?

cbk7

Reaction score
Here's the map I've been looking at....

In some older posts I've read the staging area is the Ghost Airstrip.

Was hoping someone would know if the trails were any good and how much snow is around there... it's in the foothills so I would think it's got a bunch more snow that Calgary.

Masterquadman

Reaction score
I have been to waiparous (ghost area) several times in the winter to go 4x4ing ,quadding and some sledding. The air strip area does not see that much snow, that is why the 4x4ing is open year round there. Make sure you have the most current map of the area and only go on the designated trails. They have changed the map every year for the last 4 or 5 years. :eek:and the wardens are fairly particular about it.
They typically get about the same amount of snow as Calgary. The most I have ever seen was about 2' max in mid season. you can find more snow the further north you go(past mountain air lodge). The trails also have some large rocks and hidden hazards that could be lurking just below the surface so stay on the trail. Maclean Creek usually gets more snow if that means anything but, it could give you a basic idea of what you will find in ghost. The best time to ride would be after a recent snow fall in Calgary unlike Maclean which can get snow when Calgary does not. It will also take you 1 1/2 hours or so to get to the ghost airstrip. Time that would be better spent driving to Cataract area.
Hope That helps.

Top Bottom