VHF radio settings for logging roads in Revy

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what the radio frequencies are and what the tower settings need to be in order to communicate with the logging trucks?

Shelter bay?

Keystone?

I am not sure what has to be set besides the frequency? offset? etc. I dont know much about these vhf radios.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
copied post:

There is active logging taking place on the Keystone. There is absolutely no room for parking any more than about 5 pick ups at the 11 km, there is no room for trailers of any kind and no turn around beyond the 3 km. Do not unload your sleds and travel up the road, this is not only very dangerous for both yourself and any logging traffic (a loaded logging truck does not stop very fast when coming down an icy road), but is it also illegal and you will be ticketed. Do not block the road to industrial traffic, this has been happening and it makes for a very dangerous situation for loaded logging trucks and any other type of traffic.

There is no logging on weekends but there could still be logging traffic in the form of service vehicles and the moving of heavy duty equipment. This is a radio controlled road, the frequency is 153.515.

Help us keep this area open by playing by the rules, make it safe for both yourself and especially for the logging traffic in the area. If not, the road will be closed until they are finished logging up there

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357319226.684111.jpg
These should do it. If you need more I have them

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Mine isa icom . I just put them in as needed .
Ya I know it's illegal but whatever. Best thing is to take it to a place and get them to load up the radio with all the channels

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine isa icom . I just put them in as needed .
Ya I know it's illegal but whatever. Best thing is to take it to a place and get them to load up the radio with all the channels

Tried a couple of places and they wont set it up because these oversea models and the ability to be programmed from the unit plus they give you all the software to put in the information you need.

Guess I am looking for what other information would be required to allow communication with the vhf radio. There 3-4 other settings that are possible.

Maybe I will see if i can get a hold of forestry BC and see if they will provide the necessary details.

So on your unit you just dial in the frequency or do you have channels that are preset with information?

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your radio is user programmable just put in the frequency you need off the list. No offset etc. required on logging frequencies.

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be contacting the revelstoke engineering officer on monday to see if they can shed some light on the issue. I was directed to this office from bc forestries they tired to give me some information but that are not up to date with every area and there logging channels. He as pretty sure that the tone also had to be set as well as the frequency so we will see what happens.

These are "public" roads with frequencies posted at the trail heads. For safety concerns they would prefer we have a communication device.

I will let you know next week what I find.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
really..well mine came with a bunch and then i followed the programing directions and put a dozen or so more in myself..If the directions are realtivly easy a guy can do it..
Tried a couple of places and they wont set it up because these oversea models and the ability to be programmed from the unit plus they give you all the software to put in the information you need.

Guess I am looking for what other information would be required to allow communication with the vhf radio. There 3-4 other settings that are possible.

Maybe I will see if i can get a hold of forestry BC and see if they will provide the necessary details.

So on your unit you just dial in the frequency or do you have channels that are preset with information?

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
really..well mine came with a bunch and then i followed the programing directions and put a dozen or so more in myself..If the directions are realtivly easy a guy can do it..

I can put in the info......just need to know all the specific info required for each area.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
Should be just the freq. leave the tones the same .TX and RX are the same number,unless its a repeater.

If your around airdrie stop in .we can get it figured if you have the instructions to program it .

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, my brother lives in Airdrie I will give you a call next time in town if the forestry guys are not very helpful.

I agree I think I just plug in the frequency to send/receive and leave everything else.

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
Okay, for all you radio frequecy searchers.
Industry Canada link for referance http://sd.ic.gc.ca/engdoc/help/sections_radio_frequency_search.html

Go to TAFL homepage and scroll to the bottom to search. Search Canada's TAFL

For example select BC southern interior in choose the area box then next drop down type in revelstoke - Search for box.
You will have all frequencies assigned to the area. They usually come up in numerical order.
If you scroll down to 153.5150 you will notice it is slated to DOWNIE CREEK - This would be the Keystone road logging frequency.
You can also type in companies and see their particualar frequencies.
These are registered allocated frequencies.

This is a canadian wide frequecy search. hope this helps all concerned.
You must load the TX and RX frenquencies (you will notice some have differn`t carriers) or you will not be able talk and-or hear all communications.

Remember that these are registered channels and using them could constitute breaking the law. Use at your own risk!

Last edited:

Tuesday

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is helpful, doesnt look like most of the channels have tone setting? Majority of them send/receive on the same frequency as well. I am not too worried about using the public posted channels at the trail heads. They would prefer you use them for safety concerns.

Thanks again,

kimrick

RIP Fellow Sledder
Reaction score
That is helpful, doesnt look like most of the channels have tone setting? Majority of them send/receive on the same frequency as well. I am not too worried about using the public posted channels at the trail heads. They would prefer you use them for safety concerns.

Thanks again,

Your absolutely correct! Safety first! Courteous calls before heading up and during transition of any road that has a posted frequency is normal.
operation.
Most companies never remember who they did or did not give permission for their frequency use anyways.
Proper radio ettiquette and you will never have any problems.
The same radio frequencies are given out in differnt provinces, so it is not uncommom to have a freq programmed in as say HUSKY 1 and find out that it may be SIESMIC 2 in saskatchewan.

Glad the info was helpful Tuesday and if you have more questions post away and I will try to assist.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a few programmed into the scanner (can’t transmit).
the only problem with a scanner is that a lot of times the truckers or any other workers will not transmit their location until they hear another user oncoming. even though they are supposed to call their km's some do not. can still lead to a dangerous situation

Top Bottom