Vest style avy pack

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently am wearing just a backpack but i have been debating stepping up to an avy pack. It seems that a lot of people find the vest style to be more comfortable. My questions is on heat evacuation. I tend to run a little hot and am concerned that adding a vest in to the mix will make me boil over. This is really hard to test in a showroom so i was hoping that i could get a little insight from the folks that have been using them.

Thanks

baker8

Reaction score
I also run hot and use vest pack warmer temp riding is hot have a hard time getting rid of heat. I typically only wear t shirt and shell of jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smc

Reaction score
It makes you warm! In mid winter I usually ditch my fleece layer once the trail ride in is done and it's ok. In the spring all jacket vents are open and I sweat hard. The vest is very comfortable but it kind of defeats the purpose of wearing a gore-Tex jacket. I wish I would have gotten a backpack over the vest.

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
been running the vest for 1 season now and also run pretty hot. I like it though as it allows me to wear less base/mid layer most of the time. I also like the extra protection from it as i visit the bars sometimes.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm big 6'3" and 270# and the vest fits me fine. It does run warm moreso in spring. The new light version from Snowpulse looks like it would be cooler. The protective padding does add insulation though.

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A vest doesn't swing around or droop like a pack. Fits way more snug. Love it! Way better than a pack imo, and you can put the armour in instead of wearing a full vest.

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would never go back to a backpack after having the vest. Takes all the weight off your back and distributes it over your whole body. Hardly notice it's there. I don't notice it being any hotter than the pack.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Does the vest hold all your crap like a backpack does? I have a first aid kit, spare gloves, spare goggles, a few protein bars, fire starters, lighter, etc in my pack. Not to mention, my shovel, handle, and probe. Would all that chit go in a vest? Or is it JUST an air bag?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the vest hold all your crap like a backpack does? I have a first aid kit, spare gloves, spare goggles, a few protein bars, fire starters, lighter, etc in my pack. Not to mention, my shovel, handle, and probe. Would all that chit go in a vest? Or is it JUST an air bag?
Holds it all and more

sent while drinking tea's

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Mine holds 18L and it is stuffed right full. I don't know many people that carry more survival and first aid gear than I do. Everyone winces when they feel how heavy I have my vest packed. I just keep non-emergency gear on the sled.

Redrock Kustoms

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I currently am wearing just a backpack but i have been debating stepping up to an avy pack. It seems that a lot of people find the vest style to be more comfortable. My questions is on heat evacuation. I tend to run a little hot and am concerned that adding a vest in to the mix will make me boil over. This is really hard to test in a showroom so i was hoping that i could get a little insight from the folks that have been using them.

Thanks
Vest is the way to go hands down, trauma protection, extra warmth and weight distribution. Pack pack light with the essentials and keep all the other gear on the sled Imo

I have a slightly used black protech Vest with armour and cylinder I'd sell if someone was interested.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a brand new tags still on it snowpulse high mark extreme back pack I would trade for a vest......... price on pack is 999.00

kmcl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks

I use the snowpulse lt vest. It's new this year and super lightweight also you can get armour inserts for the front so you don't have to wear any chest protection underneath it

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am quite happy with my BCA vest. I walk around at 6'1" and 250lbs and don't find it too warm. I also run pretty hot , and love my vest. I did run a float 30 prior to this and the vest holds a little less. I wont ever o back to the backpack style.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am quite happy with my BCA vest. I walk around at 6'1" and 250lbs and don't find it too warm. I also run pretty hot , and love my vest. I did run a float 30 prior to this and the vest holds a little less. I wont ever o back to the backpack style.

Another 6'1 250lb rider who loves the bca vest. I have it packed heavy, and fit all I need for survival over night but still hardly notice it on my back threw out the day. I have the external shovel carry on it for if I ever end up apart from my sled, and I carry my dig out shovel on my tunnel bag. I do run hot as well, but with less layers on I totally love my vest. No looking back.

one more thing to consider when buying a pack is a spare bottle in case of intentional/accidental deployment. A trip to the truck for a canister swap is much better than riding the rest of the day without the pack, or calling it a day early.

Top Bottom