vent install

mtnaddict

Reaction score
Hey guys what are you using to cut the hole to install vents on your hood. I am trying to put the dash vents in but I just dont know the best way to cut the hole. Thanks

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used a dremel but a jigsaw would probably work as well. I would also take your hood off cause it does make a mess and u dont want all that crap all over your engine bay

mtnaddict

Reaction score
K thanks I tried the dremel but I thought there has to be something better. I guess I will just keep at it.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drill holes in the corners , makes them a little cleaner

Use a small torch to warm the edges and the rub them with a wet cloth or your fingers if you have little feeling in them just wet them first

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a drill for the corners, and then use a mini reciprocating saw (Blue Point or equiv air powered unit. Very clean cuts, not too fast.

belch22

Reaction score
Depending on the size of the vent, I used a hole saw...worked awesome.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep I've always used a holesaw as well. Trace out the vent; cut out a bunch of holes with the hole saw. This keeps some of the strength in the area you are installing the vents.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X3 on the hole saw, guess it's the construction background lol Works slick, makes nice clean holes any size you want, and cuts right through the cross ribbing on the side panels with ease!

kamo kitty

Reaction score
You don't want to drill or cut out the cross ribs on your side panels or they get too weak and flex in easy and hit clutches, etc. Just thought i would throw that out there.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't want to drill or cut out the cross ribs on your side panels or they get too weak and flex in easy and hit clutches, etc. Just thought i would throw that out there.

If you cut them so you don't lose the panel strength it's totally doable. Mine show no signs of weakness. I bump lumber here and there in the back country and they are holding up nicely! Be careful where and how many holes you cut through the panel. Place your holes in various locations on the panel in order to retain the strength. When you look at the panel, you can get a good idea of where to hole saw and where not too :) Most reputable vent makers usually include a template of where to hole saw... Let me know if you need a few links to some, also there is threads on this site with info on the vent makers and their products. Hope that helps all of you who are looking to get some extra cooling!

Top Bottom