Vehicle Window Tinting

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys realize you are now giving legal statements that could/can incriminate all the mentioned tint installers. And especially the ones saying its done under the table, you are best to keep your mouth shut and do it through pm.

Alberta tint law

No film is permitted on the driver’s compartment, right and left. Any film may be installed on the side windows behind the driver. Any film may be applied to the rear window, provided the vehicle has 2 exterior rear view mirrors.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You guys realize you are now giving legal statements that could/can incriminate all the mentioned tint installers. And especially the ones saying its done under the table, you are best to keep your mouth shut and do it through pm.

Installing illegal things like tint, DPF deletes, etc happens all the time. The thing is everything like that is just labeled "off road use only" so the place can't have any issues. Yes saying under the table etc is not a good idea on a open forum.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the factory tint on my 97 gmc, is that a smoke or a tint? also can it be tinted over to darken it up? i got my front ones done but they arent dark enough. can they tint over the tint or have to rip it off and start over? any suggestions would be great!

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont like double tintn a window that slides up and down. makes it thicker and easier to peel. better off removing it and doin it rite once. sum shops wont do a moveable window wit double tint.

Reaction score
Drive to red deer and use details... 403-348-tint. These guys are great... They do 3m film as well ... I have used these people quite a few times and their work is great.. And if there ever is a prob they fix it for ya no hassles..

Waka

ps front windows are illegal to tint so not really endorsing that... But if you do it get your backs double tinted ... They did it to my bros LT and it looks wicked
YA he is right only the police man can tint front i got a 250 dollar ticket they want to see in and are really cracking down on it so be careful man

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MALCOLM'S TINTING IS THE ONLY PLACE TO GO IN EDMONTON

780-487-3030

HE HAS DONE ABOUT 10 VEHICLES FOR ME OVER THE LAST 8 YEARS, I'VE SENT DOZENS OF PEOPLE OVER THERE, THEY ALL LEAVE HAPPY. HE DOES ALL TYPES OF VEHICLES, HIS SHOP IS USUALLY FULL OF 50k PLUS CARS AND TRUCKS.

HE EVEN DID A FEW HOME AND OFFICE WINDOW TINTS FOR US, THEY CAME IN AFTER HOURS AND DID AN EXCELLENT JOB.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. here is and Idea.... Find a crewcab with rear smoke tinted windows, remove the rear windows and install them .........:d

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used Ziebart West (talk to mike) they have done my VW, Audi and just recently my 09 GM, doesn't remove the windows as far as i know but does excellent work, he brings in a guy that does it so i think he's a roving tinter but anyways, it was NOT DONE UNDER THE TABLE!, but the price was good, they did do whatever level tine i wanted on the front windows but they give you the disclamier that its illegal blah blah. Definately will go back. My buddy has a shop in the same building as Malcoms and I seen alot of their work and its very good but their stupid busy so be prepared for a wait, they also have some really nice cars going through there.

m8cat

Reaction score
Alberta tint law

No film is permitted on the driver’s compartment, right and left. Any film may be installed on the side windows behind the driver. Any film may be applied to the rear window, provided the vehicle has 2 exterior rear view mirrors.
The police always tell you before they give you a ticket for side window tint that it is because you cannot make eye contact with other drivers while your vehicle is in motion, ie. making a turn etc.there is some validity to that but in fact the real reason is that side window glass is designed to shatter and blow out in the case of an accident there by lessening the injury to the front occupants of the vehicle. Installing window tint on these windows defeats that design by holding the glass together in a nice window shaped cheese grater design just waiting to turn your face or your wifes,kids into hamburger.. That is not told to most drivers , but it should be. I have seen this many times, the damage that tint on windows causes the occupants is really not worth the price in my opinion...

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just talked to Malcolms and there pricing is just about half of what others charge. I will be taking my wifes jetta there soon.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta tint law

The police always tell you before they give you a ticket for side window tint that it is because you cannot make eye contact with other drivers while your vehicle is in motion, ie. making a turn etc.there is some validity to that but in fact the real reason is that side window glass is designed to shatter and blow out in the case of an accident there by lessening the injury to the front occupants of the vehicle. Installing window tint on these windows defeats that design by holding the glass together in a nice window shaped cheese grater design just waiting to turn your face or your wifes,kids into hamburger.. That is not told to most drivers , but it should be. I have seen this many times, the damage that tint on windows causes the occupants is really not worth the price in my opinion...

You are very correct, and validated by my family members that work for RCMP.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are very correct, and validated by my family members that work for RCMP.

I though we already cleared up that myth? The tint will NOT make the glass cut you! The windows still shatter into little pieces that are pretty much harmless! The tint will keep the tiny pieces together it will NOT change the size of pieces the glass breaks into. Heck it's actually safer, no chance of glass flying into your eye, or anything else.

O maybe it is true, but if your in the back seat who cares if the glass will cut them right?

YEP!! That is why tint is illegal :rolleyes: :nono: :nono:

Tint is illegal because the gov't says so. There is no rhyme or reason why. Just another stupid law that the sheep got to follow.....baaaa

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just talked to Malcolms and there pricing is just about half of what others charge. I will be taking my wifes jetta there soon.

You won't be disappointed his tint is great, I wish I could find more people in other lines of work who did as good of job. Soon as it's spring out I am getting another layer of 5% on all my back windows and a windshield stripe. Pondering 50% on the whole windshield but don't know....My truck is just a huge red flag to cops as it is.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I though we already cleared up that myth? The tint will NOT make the glass cut you! The windows still shatter into little pieces that are pretty much harmless! The tint will keep the tiny pieces together it will NOT change the size of pieces the glass breaks into. Heck it's actually safer, no chance of glass flying into your eye, or anything else.

O maybe it is true, but if your in the back seat who cares if the glass will cut them right?YEP!! That is why tint is illegal :rolleyes: :nono: :nono:

Tint is illegal because the gov't says so. There is no rhyme or reason why. Just another stupid law that the sheep got to follow.....baaaa

hate to open a can of beans over this, but do we not agree most children/ young people ride in the back seat?? and dont get me wrong i know for a fact the window glass stays together with film. however havent made up my mind if it is safer or more dangerous that way. anyways i am lacking to see the validity behind this reason for tint being illegal..:realmad:

rondun

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you were an RCMP would you go up to a car with tinted windows at 2 in the morning? I know the men and women of our RCMP, And the people that protect us are in fear of going to a car with tint. Think about it.:confused::confused:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hate to open a can of beans over this, but do we not agree most children/ young people ride in the back seat?? and dont get me wrong i know for a fact the window glass stays together with film. however havent made up my mind if it is safer or more dangerous that way. anyways i am lacking to see the validity behind this reason for tint being illegal..:realmad:

The bottom line is that it doesn't really matter if you see the validity. The fact is that right now it's illegal.......

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so today I got a $109 fine from a rather aggressive cop. I guess time to take it off as next time its over $500 and possible impoundment. Anyone had the pleasure on figuring a easy way to remove it?

Top Bottom