Vehicle Undercoating / Rustproofing

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

I want to get a new vehicle undercoated / rustproofed....(are these the same thing?)

Any ideas where to go in the Edmonton area? Any places to stay away from?

Does anybody put a guarantee on rustproofing?

Looking forward to your valued input.....

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
or, school me on the undercoating process.....i have never had it done.

Is there any questions I should be asking to the vendor?

Basically, i have a vehicle that has been modified (floor cut out and lowered about 12") and I want to rustproof as well as possibly soundproof.

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant help you on the undercoating, but I am super interested in finding out what got body dropped :) can you fill us in???

or, school me on the undercoating process.....i have never had it done.

Is there any questions I should be asking to the vendor?

Basically, i have a vehicle that has been modified (floor cut out and lowered about 12") and I want to rustproof as well as possibly soundproof.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I cant help you on the undercoating, but I am super interested in finding out what got body dropped :) can you fill us in???

Wheelchair accessible van.....We bought a new Chrysler Pacifica van...it got shipped to Phoenix where a company cut out the factory floor, installed their custom designed floor that is about 12" lower than the original and has an in-floor ramp that automatically slides out when the RH sliding door is opened. Not cheap (price of the van plus another ~ $43,000) but necessary for our situation.....one of the "perks" of having a family member in a wheelchair....:)

Last edited:

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would avoid traditional "undercoating" as it peels and flakes off in a few years, 99% of it is junk.

I did under my truck with Raptor bed liner, WAY more durable and WAY cheaper since it's a do it yourself kit.

Incredibly easy to do yourself too.

Anyone living in Edmonton should look into it as our idiotic city council is planning to use calcium chloride on our roads again this winter and rusting up our vehicles REAL GOOD dispite a chemical expert telling them it's going to cost tens of millions down the road in concrete and sidewalk repair from that crap.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would avoid traditional "undercoating" as it peels and flakes off in a few years, 99% of it is junk.

I did under my truck with Raptor bed liner, WAY more durable and WAY cheaper since it's a do it yourself kit.

Incredibly easy to do yourself too.

Anyone living in Edmonton should look into it as our idiotic city council is planning to use calcium chloride on our roads again this winter and rusting up our vehicles REAL GOOD dispite a chemical expert telling them it's going to cost tens of millions down the road in concrete and sidewalk repair from that crap.

Thanks, I will look into that.
And yes, those brain-dead fawks on council and their calcium chloride solution is one reasons I am looking at doing this.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a new vehicle undercoated from the dealer.

After I crawled under for a look, What a scam!

Lots of areas didnt get covered. Other painted areas should have been masked off so they didn’t get overspray.

Took it back twice then was so tired with them I demanded my money back and went away!

In my opinion it’s one of the add ons the finance or paperwork people scam you on after your deal on the vehicle Is done. Likely the place the dealer makes all their money when they say they sell a vehicle 1% above cost.

Anyway. I’m sure there are separate places that do quality work but if you want it don’t get it at a dealer! I’m sure they just count on most people never looking under their vehicle!

If rust is your main objective maybe the device the provides cathodic protection with electrical current would be an answer. I can’t see how a coating can get installed where needed when there is vehicle parts in the way.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody done business with JR's? They offer lifetime warranty on rustproofing and undercoating....(not sure of the details yet...what does lifetime mean and what do i have to do to maintain coverage?)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody done business with JR's? They offer lifetime warranty on rustproofing and undercoating....(not sure of the details yet...what does lifetime mean and what do i have to do to maintain coverage?)

Call that guy Corey that you know.
He will either do the undercoating himself or point you in the right direction.
Sound proofing can be done under the floor liner above the metal pan (self adhesive sheets) or different spray on undercoat.

Most places that give lifetime warranty require you to come in once a year for touchups - no cost just your time.

Last edited:

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not trying to high jack, but how much does a good quality under coat job go for?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been steered away from it due to the potential of plugging up drain holes and creating water holding pockets. Honestly the poor mans undercoat is 80w90 gear oil cut with diesel in a weed sprayer. To each there own...

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been steered away from it due to the potential of plugging up drain holes and creating water holding pockets. Honestly the poor mans undercoat is 80w90 gear oil cut with diesel in a weed sprayer. To each there own...

Actually used to use used motor oil.
That would drive tree huggers crazy as it slowly bleeds away.
Once rusty it is not good to undercoat.
Rust check or the old motor oil is actually better as it does not trap water/salt/calcium.
Bastards and their calcium mix.

Rust check your doors yearly through the bleed slots on the inside of the door.
Stops the door bottoms from rusting.
Let car sit at CT parking lot for a day though so it does not drip in your driveway.
Or park in the street.

Last edited:

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In most cases I consider undercoating to be rust promoter. It seems to prevent the nooks and crannies from ever being allow to dry. For the OP with the custom metal work maybe a coat of POR 15 on any bare metal/welds and then some rattle can undercoating.

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Actually used to use used motor oil.
That would drive tree huggers crazy as it slowly bleeds away.
Once rusty it is not good to undercoat.
Rust check or the old motor oil is actually better as it does not trap water/salt/calcium.
Bastards and their calcium mix.

Rust check your doors yearly through the bleed slots on the inside of the door.
Stops the door bottoms from rusting.
Let car sit at CT parking lot for a day though so it does not drip in your driveway.
Or park in the street.

well, not that we will do much gravel or dusty roads with the van but there will be some .....IMO used oil and dust looks terrible pretty quick...
Thanks, but no thanks

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fluid film makes a kit for spraying the underside of a vehicle,including the insides of the boxed frames on the new trucks. Gonna do mine this fall.

Top Bottom