Vancouver Island to Alberta

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well me and the wife are making a last minute trip to three hills hospital. My father in-law isn't doing good and probably won't make the weekend . We want to get there as fast and safe as possible and due to the price of fuel taking my truck isn't really feasible so the fiesta it is. Any way I'm thinking of going through jasper then down because less construction and mountain passes , it's 200 km farther but might be less traffic. What ya think. Just take trans Canada ?

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well me and the wife are making a last minute trip to three hills hospital. My father in-law isn't doing good and probably won't make the weekend . We want to get there as fast and safe as possible and due to the price of fuel taking my truck isn't really feasible so the fiesta it is. Any way I'm thinking of going through jasper then down because less construction and mountain passes , it's 200 km farther but might be less traffic. What ya think. Just take trans Canada ?

Tough call, could get lucky and the south route might be good and wouldn’t of been worth it to go north way, the north way is always consistent though

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the father in law. You price out flying? Might be cheaper and faster. I guess if you can get a ride from the airport. As for roads I’d still to the trans Canada. Double lane pretty much the whole way you can make better time.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I'd also take the TransCanada. Maybe it's not the best option for you, but on a drive like that I sometimes like to do them at night, the roads are way less busy and you can really put the miles on.

Gas was still $1.719 in Three Hills on Saturday.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought about flying but his new wife wants us to bring stuff back that is the wife's family stuff, not a lot but a fair bit . Mainly pictures and such, plus his portion of her mom's ashes which without the proper paperwork can get difficult

Last edited:

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup got good all season tires, biggest issue is it's so low so major snowfall can get interesting. We are on the first ferry tomorrow and driving as far as we can but probably going to have to stop somewhere for some rest.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
Highway closes at 10pm nightly at golden. Get there before then. Shouldn’t be more than 12 hours from ferry terminal to three hills. Weather tomorrow is supposed to ramp up but freezing levels might be above highway elevations. Once you clear the mountains the wind will push you the rest of the way. Good luck on your journey

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we are in Canmore, stopped for dinner,timed the Avey closure perfect, snowing hard on Rogers pass, truck in the weeds buy Field. and hopefully not snow and mudders with white pick up and inclosed sled trailer pulled up bad in the park just before the Taylor rest area by lake Louise. Eat here then push on for three hills, probably won't let us in time we get there but we are hoping.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well we got to see him this morning, not looking good, the wife is relieved that we made it on time. So getting a room at motel 8 so she can walk back and forth from the hospital. Me I'm not one to sit in there and watch him die , not my thing so now I'm asking my snow and mudders if there's anything worth checking out around here. I've done the Drumheller thing but there must be something around here to check out. Don't mind driving or hiking , any one from this area ? We are here till probably Saturday morning if he makes it that long so I just don't want to sit in the motel. Thanks to everyone for there tips and up dates on the drive. This is why I love S and M ,the people are always willing to give advice or help if they can.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Glad you made it.
I would be like you and go squirrelly in the motel. Sorry, I can't help you with things to do as I am not familiar with the area around Three Hills. Lots on here are from the general and I am sure they will chime in. Hard to keep the core members silent!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im familiar with that area. There isnt a whole bunch of tourist attractions around there. Couple buffalo jumps and the river are about it. If you did the museum already, next closest place with stuff to do would be Calgary.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took this picture real close to three hills, but its probably all soggy right now though

20220316_144927.jpg

Top Bottom