Using trailer as ramp?

no_uh

Reaction score
Has anyone here used a 2 place tilt trailer as a ramp to drive sled into back of a pickup? I was thinking I could tilt trailer up and rest the lip on tailgate, and then just ride it on in. The reason I ask is I'm taking a solo trip to meet up with people and don't want to haul the trailer too with only one sled on it. And I don't have anyone that could help me lift it that high....

Is this a horrible idea? This is only going to be a one time thing and I don't want to spend money on a ramp just for one use...

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here used a 2 place tilt trailer as a ramp to drive sled into back of a pickup? I was thinking I could tilt trailer up and rest the lip on tailgate, and then just ride it on in. The reason I ask is I'm taking a solo trip to meet up with people and don't want to haul the trailer too with only one sled on it. And I don't have anyone that could help me lift it that high....

Is this a horrible idea? This is only going to be a one time thing and I don't want to spend money on a ramp just for one use...

Any snow banks around?? Probably not in your neck of the woods. I'm sure it would work just make sure it is secured such that your tailgate can't close or the trailer can't back up.

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to do that lots and as Doc says - either chock your wheels on the trailer or tie the tongue to your reciever so it doesn't kick out half way up!

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whatever you do, be sure to setup a video camera on a tripod !! this could be good :)

in an effort to be slightly productive in this post.. you can buy a cheap $200 ramp and do what my buddy did here (don't forget to video it though!)

Only if he had listened to me telling him to go faster this video would've been a lot funnier

[YT]?v=0cBwXoXOpic[/YT]

Reaction score
I have loaded my sled on the trailer and then backed the truck up to the trailer and just drove the sled from the trailer to the half ton works good.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
whatever you do, be sure to setup a video camera on a tripod !! this could be good :)

in an effort to be slightly productive in this post.. you can buy a cheap $200 ramp and do what my buddy did here (don't forget to video it though!)

Only if he had listened to me telling him to go faster this video would've been a lot funnier

[YT]?v=0cBwXoXOpic[/YT]

that can be scary,,, the guy who picked up my M8T had a longer steel ramp he come running into it it goes strait up and comes back slams him in the head,, I was like chit this is dead,,, so lucky the ramp weighed over 100lbs

just strap it down,,, if its sketchy go one each corner to bed of truck then run at least one down to the hitch,,, beyter safe then sorry,,,

I was sketched out for a year after watching buddy,,

I also did it once like in the video,,, not thinking inside the shop on nice painted slippery floor,,, ramp slides up closes tailgate with tie down in it and leaves big gauge/dent from tie down buckle....

same speed as vid so no carnage on my end but was sketchy

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have loaded my sled on the trailer and then backed the truck up to the trailer and just drove the sled from the trailer to the half ton works good.

we always did that,, u dont even have to tilt it,,, but i believe he wants to leave trailer at home so he probably wants to avoid hooking it up...

assaultbear

Reaction score
I fabbed up a bracket of sorts that supports the front edge of the trailer on the hitch ball. Short piece of 2 1/8 round tube to go over the ball, appropriate length of 1 1/2 suare tube and a piece of channel for the trailer lip to sit on. Have used this for 6 years to load one onto back of truck with no issues. Never dumped it once.

mxzretta

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that can be scary,,, the guy who picked up my M8T had a longer steel ramp he come running into it it goes strait up and comes back slams him in the head,, I was like chit this is dead,,, so lucky the ramp weighed over 100lbs

just strap it down,,, if its sketchy go one each corner to bed of truck then run at least one down to the hitch,,, beyter safe then sorry,,,

I was sketched out for a year after watching buddy,,

I also did it once like in the video,,, not thinking inside the shop on nice painted slippery floor,,, ramp slides up closes tailgate with tie down in it and leaves big gauge/dent from tie down buckle....

same speed as vid so no carnage on my end but was sketchy

Same thing happened to my friend.Lucky we were close to the city ambulance came and the first thing they did was called in for stars to come out.The ramp hit him right below the eyebrows and his eyelids were hanging on by a piece of skin.He was in the hospital for two weeks.Same speed as in the video and first he he didn't have his helmut on when loading.

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had the same thing happen to me. Going to load the boys 600 Mountain Max on our two place trailer. Go cruising up to it hit the ramp it shoots forward, the sled pushed the bottom end under the trailer which in turn flipped over cranking me in the helmet and across the knuckles. It is a steel ramp as well. thank the lord i was wearin my helmet. It still has the battle scars to remind me to anchor the ramp down. My Knuckles hurt pretty bad for a few days as well.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score

I did kinda the same on my trailer the spare was mounted flat on the tongue I would drive up on the trailer tilt it forward then burp the throttle to hop the skis over the gap and the track would just ride across the spare tire worked awesome every time. If there it 2 people 1 guy can lift the bumper a bit so the skis don't hit the tailgate if your comfortable hopping the skis across.

Top Bottom