Used the water trick on my Primary - Never using the puller tool again

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After always being worried about breaking my Primary puller tool, finally tried the water trick last night.

Crazy how easy the primary pops off compared to using the puller tool.

Don't think I'll ever use the puller tool again.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
after always being worried about breaking my primary puller tool, finally tried the water trick last night.

Crazy how easy the primary pops off compared to using the puller tool.

Don't think i'll ever use the puller tool again.

works every time..... I have bent the puller tools trying to remove some clutches, so use the water method every time now ;)

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup totally agree. not worth breaking a puller off in there and having serious problems.

one has to be extremely carefull though. i took one off a 2008 which probly hadnt been off in 3 years. it left the sled at a high rate of speed and landed 5+ feet away. if i was standing in front of it there could have been an injury thats how much pressure there was. doesnt seem so bad if you take it off once a year then it seems to just go POP and stay put.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you make sure to put the primary back on in its indexed location?

sent from a top secret location

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the water trick?
it's a method of removing your TRA clutch. remove the clutch bolt, tip your sled on it's side, fill the bolt hole with water, wrap your clutch bolt with thread tape (yellow gas line tape works best, more wraps required with white tape) and thread it into the hole. tighten with a ratchet until clutch pops off. might take a few tries to get a good seal, but it works fantastic.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's a method of removing your TRA clutch. remove the clutch bolt, tip your sled on it's side, fill the bolt hole with water, wrap your clutch bolt with thread tape (yellow gas line tape works best, more wraps required with white tape) and thread it into the hole. tighten with a ratchet until clutch pops off. might take a few tries to get a good seal, but it works fantastic.

Flat beer works too - hehe

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I marked all parts before I removed them but I thought there was supposed to be a marking on the end of the crank. I did not see anything. Found the large circle on clutch.

There is a line on the end of the crank stub. It can be hard to see without light.

The large circle should be as close as possible centered to that line.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm the opposite.. been doing the water method for 3 years and just bought my puller tool !! getting tired of tipping the sled, messing with thread tape and pouring water all over the place lol

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm the opposite.. been doing the water method for 3 years and just bought my puller tool !! getting tired of tipping the sled, messing with thread tape and pouring water all over the place lol
While wiping the water up go have a smoke.

yammyman

Reaction score
I use my puller, stick a blow dryer on the crank and tighten the tool until it pops. Seems to work well!

dooberry

Reaction score
image.jpg This is what you are looking for.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pic dooberry. I had what looked like some white paint marker on the end but it was probably 1/8 of the end of shaft. Have to try wiping it off next time.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The white paint, which I have seen on a few sometimes covers up the line.

Top Bottom