Used 3/4 oil in 1.5 hour ride

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you could ride it but i suggest fixing it asap since you are losing serious performance burning that much oil. your running something like 10:1...yikes

also if you run it low and suck air into the feed line you may seize the engine.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can find them online, 6-10 dollars paypal. yeah it should really smoke at idle.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i purchased a bore camera.. hand held unit, was 200 bucks i think. i bought it for work, checking heat exchangers in rooftops and furnaces...... i also use it for them hard to see things like checking piston wash, inside pipes and headers.... in this case it would help you look at your oiler cable.....

p.summit

Reaction score
Yeah, i'm thinkin more and more that this is the problem. Going to weigh my options and either repare it myself or take it in to get done..

thanks for all your input.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was looking at mine and really didn't see an alignment mark on the pump, and i see no way to measure said 18mm distance. any suggestions

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i was looking at mine and really didn't see an alignment mark on the pump, and i see no way to measure said 18mm distance. any suggestions

that distance is in the adjustment on the cable itself. the adjustment portion of the cable is located on the rave valve solenoid and is covered in a rubber guard thats where you measure the 18mm

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

its the exposed cable lenght, pull the boot back and measure exposed cable.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i saw the adjustment point, didn't realize that was were you measured. thanxs. i'm never to old to learn, :beer:

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will be quiet and leave it to Lord Godwell Maxroy..... i'm just double posting...:d

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will be quiet and leave it to Lord Godwell Maxroy..... i'm just double posting...:d

no problemo, pics in the manuals are hard to see and understand. asking questions is the only way you find out. :beer:

p.summit

Reaction score
Has anyone ever changed this cable and if so what kind of job is it?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever changed this cable and if so what kind of job is it?

yes changed a few.

its a good 3 hour job.

remove the carbs, primary, secondary, tower, reeds? cant remember, unbolt all the motor mounts, y pipe, exhaust system and then lean the engine forward.

replacing the cable even with the engine forward is kind of like open heart surgery. ( because i know what thats like :rolleyes: ) need a good set of needle nose plyers to pull the eclip off and switch the cable out. and a 10mm wrench to remove the cable housing from the retainer.

jimxp

Reaction score
when the oil cable breaks.... it opens up, mine broke on my 08, burnt tank of oil in 1/4 fuel.... under the carbs is how to get to it, its such a pain to replace the cable, i pulled the engine mounts and tilted the motor ahead so you can finally get your hands in there.

p.summit

Reaction score
Is it just the cable from the pump that needs to be replaced or is it more to it than that.

All i need to order is a new oil cable or other parts?

Where is the best site to get the shop manual from the internet for 08 summit xp?

Top Bottom