Uh oh... Am I crazy?

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about jumping ship from cat to poo. Just listed my turbo proclimb for sale and now I'm trying to think of what I want to build next. I love my cat, but I think it's time for another build! and the fact that there's no cat dealer up north here kinda blows so I'm thinking a last years model 13 pro. It will definitely be another turbo build! Ill be staying so far away from silber as I can possibly get due to seeing all the problems my bro had with his this year. So just out of curiosity, what would be on your wish list for the ULTIMATE pro build? I have noooo clue about the pro's since I've been on the cat bandwagon for quite a while now. So keeping it somewhat on a cheaper budget, meaning I don't want to be riding a 40g sled with all the tree wells I've been in and out of over the years, what would your idea be for the ultimate pro for boondocking, tree riding and some hill climbing, hill climbing being the least type of riding I do.

My only concerns with the pro would be the seat is too tall for me, the boards seem too narrow and I can't stand those pro tapers, probably jimmy rig a set of m8 bars on there if I can.

Im thinking a boondocker tial rg kit, 163 3", maybe a kmod?
How would YOU build one?

bbecker17

Reaction score
mine would be something like this----> 163 2.5 C E, CR boards, boost it turbo kit, Zbros A arms and that would be it, and a good set of shocks or stock ones revalved

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about jumping ship from cat to poo. Just listed my turbo proclimb for sale and now I'm trying to think of what I want to build next. I love my cat, but I think it's time for another build! and the fact that there's no cat dealer up north here kinda blows so I'm thinking a last years model 13 pro. It will definitely be another turbo build! Ill be staying so far away from silber as I can possibly get due to seeing all the problems my bro had with his this year. So just out of curiosity, what would be on your wish list for the ULTIMATE pro build? I have noooo clue about the pro's since I've been on the cat bandwagon for quite a while now. So keeping it somewhat on a cheaper budget, meaning I don't want to be riding a 40g sled with all the tree wells I've been in and out of over the years, what would your idea be for the ultimate pro for boondocking, tree riding and some hill climbing, hill climbing being the least type of riding I do.

My only concerns with the pro would be the seat is too tall for me, the boards seem too narrow and I can't stand those pro tapers, probably jimmy rig a set of m8 bars on there if I can.

How would YOU build one?

my friends dad rides trees and is really experienced. his two sleds are

2012 pro rmk 174x3" with a silber turbo (back up sled) avid rail exts and drop and roll no tunnel ext

2013 pro rmk 174x3" with a rk tek big bore avid rail exts and 7" drivers

I dont think he liked the turbo lag, thats why he went with the big bore, i think he has a 2013 turbo for the 13 but did not put it on.

I think the 163X3" would be great as well and not need the rail extensions and just need the drivers.

as for the boards??? i have size 13 feet, ive never miss stepped on my boards ever.

the bars, easily run cat bars, just need a riser and a pivot adapter.

I just snow checked a 163 pro rmk, cant wait! Was really looking at a xm but i couldnt do it without riding one at home and in the hills for at least a hour each. The steering was the big issue, as far as i can tell if you can ride a pro the cat is easy to jump on, and vice versa. I love the vertical steering and cant change. Drove a 2012 t1100 and i cant stand the steering.

Also the trailer i go to the mountains with has 5 pros in it already. last year a guy blew a belt and tangled up his secondary, instead of having to take it apart they swapped it with the 12 turbo back up. on guy blew out his shock, stole one off the back up. It makes sense if i break anything there will be spare parts to keep the week trip 14 hours away from home still going instead of having to leave my sled with them and rent or ride the bus home early.

The 13 motor is far stronger than the 11 and 12, and the new belt should help if your sled has the quick drive belt blowing problem.

as said above you can also put triple rate spring on the stock shock and re valve them, best bang for your buck. I think z-broz makes the spring kits and/or raptor.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How can you have size 13 feet and the Pro-tapers be too wide for you? You will get used to them, only the short guys don't. Don't mess witht the running boards either, you will love the way they do not drag in the snow like wider boards do. I came from Doo last year and only miss the quality.

opps I see its the first guy that didn't like the bars.

Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sledneck all those sleds and trips and still no invitation? I'm hurt. If you know of a trip that has an extra spot please get in touch with me.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my friends dad rides trees and is really experienced. his two sleds are

2012 pro rmk 174x3" with a silber turbo (back up sled) avid rail exts and drop and roll no tunnel ext

2013 pro rmk 174x3" with a rk tek big bore avid rail exts and 7" drivers

I dont think he liked the turbo lag, thats why he went with the big bore, i think he has a 2013 turbo for the 13 but did not put it on.

I think the 163X3" would be great as well and not need the rail extensions and just need the drivers.

as for the boards??? i have size 13 feet, ive never miss stepped on my boards ever.

the bars, easily run cat bars, just need a riser and a pivot adapter.

I just snow checked a 163 pro rmk, cant wait! Was really looking at a xm but i couldnt do it without riding one at home and in the hills for at least a hour each. The steering was the big issue, as far as i can tell if you can ride a pro the cat is easy to jump on, and vice versa. I love the vertical steering and cant change. Drove a 2012 t1100 and i cant stand the steering.

Also the trailer i go to the mountains with has 5 pros in it already. last year a guy blew a belt and tangled up his secondary, instead of having to take it apart they swapped it with the 12 turbo back up. on guy blew out his shock, stole one off the back up. It makes sense if i break anything there will be spare parts to keep the week trip 14 hours away from home still going instead of having to leave my sled with them and rent or ride the bus home early.

The 13 motor is far stronger than the 11 and 12, and the new belt should help if your sled has the quick drive belt blowing problem.

as said above you can also put triple rate spring on the stock shock and re valve them, best bang for your buck. I think z-broz makes the spring kits and/or raptor.

How do you like the 174? I've never tried one, never had the opportunity to. Do u notice a big difference boondocking and tree riding from a 163 to a 174?

Ive got about an hour total on a new pro, and I like them. I find they're fairly easy to ride coming off an m8 with the similar steering setup. I just thought the boards were a little narrow, it may be where I stand on them tho. Might have to make an adjustment if I were to keep the burandt boards.

What about these rktek fix kits?! Would that be a concern with a new 13?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sledneck all those sleds and trips and still no invitation? I'm hurt. If you know of a trip that has an extra spot please get in touch with me.

My friends from melfort go 4-6 times a year, up too 3 trucks some times and 13-15 guys. They pic me and one other guy up from stoon. Im sure they are up for anyone coming if you fit in, I dont think they were going to allow me to come anymore unless a bought a new sled, the old iq wasnt cutting it!

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Kyle91rs,

Sounds like your right on the money on your upgrades. I ran 13 pro this year with a BD intercooled 2860 kit. Left the stock skid in it and changed out the shocks to Fox Evols that were valved for my weight and a turbo. Changed to a C.E 3 x 163 half way through the season. If your looking for lower narrower bars the Burandt RSI bars work well. As for going to a fully coupled suspension with the C.E 3 I think you would have a trench monster on your hands. Which ever way you go have fun.

CatAttack900

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

How would YOU build one?

I am running a boost it 2013 pro, with a racers edge skid. Love the sled, was thinking of selling it and building another one. I will sell you my sled if interested, only has few hundred miles on it.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent a day on a 2013 163 pro this season, was bone stock my buddy who has it I probaly have an easy 30lbs or more on him. I was extremely impressed how well it got on the snow and how well it responded to very little body movementand how well it was clutched from factory. If your looking for a boondocking tree riding sled I would say polaris has it pretty much nailed down. Like you said your only concerns are the seat, boards and the bars which are easy fixes for sure and not have to touch much else.

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guys. If my sled sells before next fall then I'm going ahead with this project.

Hey catattack, I appreciate your offer but I like building sleds myself from scratch, it's kind of an addiction. My buddy had a boost it pro this year and it ran awesome. Held its resale value quite well too so I'm sure if you were to sell it you wouldn't have any trouble.

How are guys finding the quick drive setup with the turbos? I hear the tial exhaust setup was melting belts?

SnowJunkie82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the opinions guys. If my sled sells before next fall then I'm going ahead with this project.

Hey catattack, I appreciate your offer but I like building sleds myself from scratch, it's kind of an addiction. My buddy had a boost it pro this year and it ran awesome. Held its resale value quite well too so I'm sure if you were to sell it you wouldn't have any trouble.

How are guys finding the quick drive setup with the turbos? I hear the tial exhaust setup was melting belts?

I'm still on the original quick drive belt, but I have the non-tial system. I had the first drive shaft fail at 19 miles, then I put a shaft from a 2012 into it and it lasted to 720miles. Don't think the belt is the weak point in the sled's drive system! If you haven't already you should talk to Reed at Boondocker Canada or Jared in the U.S. They will give some insight into whether or not the tial system will be worth the extra bucks for you.

Top Bottom