Type of oil

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive run the shell oil and noticed it gets thicker and does not flow like the cat apv oil ,apv oil stays thin and flows the same wether its cold or warm so ive got 2 jugs of the shell oil and only run it in the old zl all other sleds get the apv. just my opinion:d

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently i have APV in the tank,what should i do?
A guy told me to drain all that oil out if i go with Amsoil is this true or can i just add.
I need oil by Sat. the latest...If no then i'll go buy APV i guess

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive run the shell oil and noticed it gets thicker and does not flow like the cat apv oil ,apv oil stays thin and flows the same wether its cold or warm so ive got 2 jugs of the shell oil and only run it in the old zl all other sleds get the apv. just my opinion:d

Cat APV synthetic is Shell Ultra Snow Synthetic. Trust me.

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently i have APV in the tank,what should i do?
A guy told me to drain all that oil out if i go with Amsoil is this true or can i just add.
I need oil by Sat. the latest...If no then i'll go buy APV i guess

yea you should try and run ur oil as low as possible if you don't want to drain it... i had cat oil in my dads cat but didn't have any cat oil last weekend so i just had to add ams oil... didn't have a choice... not sure what will happen... might gum up the power valves a bit? can't see it hurting to much... i wouldn't drain it bone dry just cuz i would be worried about air locking the pump then running with no oil and not knowing it ...

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spoke with a guy who is high up with Shell and also with the Cat dealer that I deal with and both of them said that Synthetic Oil is all the same with different color additives and put into a different jug. The only difference is that they do add different additives in them to make them smell different. If your sled requires Synthetic DEFINATELY use a Synthetic Oil. If your sled is still under warranty use their oil, but then afterwards it is your choice. I have run the Shell Synthetic in my cats for years with no problem and get mine cheap from Crappy Tire...

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just put the 2 oils out side for the nite its freekin cold out side and poor some out in the morning you will see the difference in viscosity between the 2 very noticable difference , but oil is likly warm under the hood once things warm up and runnin the sled, apv stays thin and shell is thick viscosity try it if you dont believe me , i also bought my oil shell synthetic from crappy wheel ,all oils are not created equal ,
as far as additives definetly they have different additives which intern makes different oil
apv all the way for me:)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You would be surprised how many different labels are running down the same line getting filled with the same oil!!! Used to watch Safeway and Protec getting filled on the same line and the Safeway oil was half the price. Don't discredit the cheaper oils if they have the same rating as expensive oils. There are only so many different refineries and nobody get "special" batches unless you are a huge customer. You can get "funnels" to measure viscosities to eliminate judgement errors if you want accurate comparisons.
My:twocents:

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cat does not refine their own oil..
if they are not even making their own engines, do you actually think they make their own oil ??

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
obviously cat does not have a refinery like yu said they dont even make there own engines , run what yu want but viscosity does change between the 2 oils and i dont need funnels to tell me that wether it makes a difference or not i dont no ,the only thing i was sayin is viscosity is different in the cold so obviosly the additives are different and that does change what the oil is all about , at 13k + for a new sled i will spend the xtra $5-$10 a jug and run the apv and not void warranty
the cold flowability of other oils may not be good enough especialy now the factory settings are now getting leaned back to make cleaner emissions
fyi 2009 cats are running 20% leaner than previous years

just my opinion right or wrong i prefer apv.:)

Hylode

Reaction score
Well we have different opinions on oil ! and this my take on Amsoil , I ran it last year because the price was right ,and when I broke my engine down to change out the moving parts , I had a bitch of a time getting my valves out , they were gummed up (Really Bad ), so this year I'm going to Ukranian Tire , and getting me some Shell or Castrol Syn :d:d Just my Two cents :rolleyes:

Last edited:

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think there are any bad synthetics, crank bearing went on my doo with non-doo synthetic in the oil tank and Riverside said whatever and covered the repairs 23 days after my warranty had expired. I ran mineral oil in my 02 800 doo and my brother now has the sled 9500KM with the original pistons and rings with about 140# compression both sides. The motor has been whipped all its life, valves never been cleaned. Which oil is best? My other brother has never popped a motor and he uses Esso mineral oil from new on his sleds and his service program is buy it and run it till it breaks. What ever makes you fell good may be the best oil.:d

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i will spend the xtra $5-$10 a jug and run the apv and not void warranty

They can't void your warranty for not running "their" oil.:nono: This has been discussed many times, on many different forums. The only way they could do that was if they were giving you "their" oil for free.;) I usually run Klotz, but due to it being so hard to get around here, I am switching to Ipone as soon as I run this last gallon of Klotz thru.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

They can't void your warranty for not running "their" oil.:nono: This has been discussed many times, on many different forums. The only way they could do that was if they were giving you "their" oil for free.;) I usually run Klotz, but due to it being so hard to get around here, I am switching to Ipone as soon as I run this last gallon of Klotz thru.

That's right...No dealer can void your warrantly as long as you use an oil that meets current specifications. It's the law! I have been running the Shell Synthetic for many years with great success. Never have I had to purposely go in and clean a power valve. Tried Blue Marble, didn't like it. Tried Ipone, got tired of the smell real fast, as did the people behind me.

Thunderguy BOOSTED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Iam running Amsoil..
It seems to by Very good oil....
I bought it from a guy on the site for $32.00 a Gal

Justin:rolleyes:

raustincat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh guys i lied... its no longer 100 per case.... it has gone up just asked how much, yea i guess its like 150 a case now... so like 37.50 a jug. last yr it was 100...

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh guys i lied... its no longer 100 per case.... it has gone up just asked how much, yea i guess its like 150 a case now... so like 37.50 a jug. last yr it was 100...

Disregard my request for the 2 cases if it's $150

Top Bottom