Two great gear companies for our passion....

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
We, as snowmobilers, are very fortunate to have not one but two great gear companies that strive to keep us warm and dry. Both Klim and MotorFist are in the forefront and too each their own with the choices. I will not get into brand bashing as my dealings with both outfits has been superb.

MF came to bat for the FSA cabin build and supplied various pieces of gear for the volunteers. That was just an awesome jester and was very much appreciated. There will be a steel door cover with the MotorFist logo mounted on the front of the stove in appreciation of this huge effort.

Klim, with their outstanding warranty, (I'm not implying that MF doesn't have an outstanding warranty and from what I read, their warranty is also great) are, IMHO, right at the forefront with keeping us dry. The boys at DCI (the distributor for Klim) in McGrath, AB need some words of praise as well. I was down yesterday and had a pair of Togwotee bibs and a Valdez jacket put to the water test. The bibs are a year old and the jacket about a year and a half. Both elbows on the jacket failed the test. The butt failed on one side (the thought about repair was mentioned) and he decided to test the knees. Both knees failed. It wasn't worth repairing these garments. Both were replaced with warranty because they are "guaranteed to keep you dry". Sometimes there is a weak spot in the material and as "Gortex" says, "GUARANTEED TO KEEP YOU DRY Promise. IF YOU ARE NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED WITH THE WATERPROOFNESS, WINDPROOFNESS OR BREATHABILITY OF OUR GORE-TEX OUTERWEAR, WE WILL REPAIR IT, REPLACE IT OR REFUND YOUR PURCHASE PRICE.

IMG_2344.jpg IMG_2345.jpg

Staple_STI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure they are great.. but pricy.

I bought similar waterproof type gloves at Wholesale Sports Outdoor Outfitters in Calgary, rode all season without an issue and they were under 50 bucks rather than 100+. I don't need the price inflating logo.

Will likely go back there to shop for other gear before next winter too

Steve D

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a buddy fall in a creek a couple years ago (lol, his sled didn't though), when he got out, I was thinking holy crap we gotta get this guy in the truck now and get him dry before hypothermia set in.

He was practically dry, had water get in a couple spots, around cuffs I think, but I was pretty much sold on the gear that day.

THAT said, both of their gloves are not as good as the rest of their respective garments. Definitely just as well off buying $50 gloves instead of the $100+ ones.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought Motorfist this year and could not be happier. They are amazing deals out there. You just have to look. We rode Shuswap a few weeks ago and the first day was pouring rain at the bottom and wet snow on top. Everyone in our group that was wearing MF or Klim was completely dry and comfortable. Others in the group were soaked. They have bought new gear for next year. Great gear is nice but to have these companies support our sport the way Ferniesnow described is why they are the better choice. Thanks Motorfist and Klim!

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i should be the quality control tester for the creek testin, i seem to find water almost every time i go out.

been swimming so many times i lost count.,

Warhawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had my 3 season year old Valdez replaced this year as it was leaking on the back and one shoulder. I agree Ferniesnow the guys at Klim Warranty were incredible to deal with. I currently have some MF stuff at the Warranty department and hoping to here back soon.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doug, do you know what values came back from the water test, or even what the water test they used was?
I agree that a good warranty is a must for a company, but I think that Klim and Motorfist go way too far in theirs. Yes, that is good for some, but such a good warranty program does trickle down to the customer in the way of higher retail prices. I for one am not someone to ever warranty something, unless it is actually a warranty issue. I'm sorry, but a 3 year old jacket started to leak in the back and shoulder is not a warranty issue. That is called general use. Ever wonder why the knees, butt, shoulders, back and elbows are always the ones to start leaking? It's because those areas get the most use and abuse. A leak due to a poor stitch or a just a problem with the fabric should be addressed by warranty. This will always show up in the first few uses. I had worked in retail for a long time when I was younger and saw all sorts of attempts at warranty. Patagonia used to have warranty policy that said, if you were in any way unsatisfied with the garment, they will fix it or replace it. I saw so many jackets come back with rips in the arm (obvious usage) and even burn holes that were replaced or fixed on warranty. This drove up prices and eventually led to a change in the warranty policy.
I'm not trying to say anyone is abusing the warranty system, I just think that these companies take it way too far. I wear TOBE gear, with lots of other Klim stuff and I have been super happy with both. I've been dry in my TOBE except for the giant gash in my knee and shin from my running boards. I'm going to get those fixed over the summer and add in some reinforcement to the knees.
Take care of your gear, and it will take care of you. Wash it regularly with tech wash, and throw it in the dryer, and that waterproof fabric will stay waterproof longer. Since I haven't dealt with Klim or MF warranty, I don't know what their rules are. Most companies require that the fabric be washed before it gets returned for warranty, as all waterproof fabrics tend to lose their waterproofness when they get dirty. Dirt gets in there, and just gets smashed into the fabric by your pack, or sitting, or kneeling, which hinders the way the fabric was designed to work.

Last edited:

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wonder how much klim paid to get Gore-tex ??? Gore-tex has always had that warranty doesnt matter who the manufacture is :)
Willy, why do you think the warranty policy is written on the Gore-tex tag, not on the Klim tag? Because it is Gore-tex's warranty policy. I would imagine that Klim pays the same as every single other company that uses Gore-tex.

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and there are alot of companys that use Gore-tex
Yes, is there a point coming here at some point, or are you just saying that you don't need to buy Klim, because there are lots of other companies that use Gore? Klim does have a better warranty than a company like The North Face, as they seem to be much more lenient even though sledders put their gear through a lot more abuse than your average winter outdoor enthusiast. On that point, the outer fabric that most sled specific clothing uses does hold up to that use better than most other outerwear companies.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There are different thicknesses of Gore-Tex. The thinner material is absolute garbage on sledding gear. The cheaper material is thinner.

How does the Arc'Teryx gear stand up to sledding? IMHO, not very well and it is more expensive than Klim. It keeps you dry but try running the bushes for a season or two and see what happens to the seams and the material.

When it comes to gear, to each their own! I love my Klim and I love their warranty. I have friends who love their MotorFist and love their warranty. Both great companies with great gear.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are different thicknesses of Gore-Tex. The thinner material is absolute garbage on sledding gear. The cheaper material is thinner.

How does the Arc'Teryx gear stand up to sledding? IMHO, not very well and it is more expensive than Klim. It keeps you dry but try running the bushes for a season or two and see what happens to the seams and the material.

When it comes to gear, to each their own! I love my Klim and I love their warranty. I have friends who love their MotorFist and love their warranty. Both great companies with great gear.
Motorfist donated a full suit to our local club this year for us to raffle at our yearly camp meeting, klim....... Collected many members money for gear, I prefer my Motorfist gear personally as do most in my group but a lot of that has to do with the local klim store being pretty crappy all around where the Motorfist dealer is overly good to deal with, both make a good product but just like sleds you gotta go where you get the best treatment and the donation to a small town sled club by Motorfist was definitely pretty cool

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Gore does have different membranes they use for different applications, the standard, Active and Pro. Most companies have gone to the Pro shell, as this is the latest and greatest. The Gore-tex membrane is usually never exposed to anything other than water, sweat and dirt. It is the fabric that the Gore-tex is laminated to that makes it more durable or not (the Pro is the most durable of all the membranes). Klim bonds a heavier more abrasion resistant fabric to the outside than a company like Arc'Teryx does, this is what makes Klim a more suitable piece of clothing for sledders. Arc'Teryx or TNF want to make their fabric lighter weight for those who aren't bashing through trees (I should show them some video of my skiing though, if I see a gap in the trees I think I can power through, I'm shooting that gap. That has gotten me badly clothes lined on a couple occasions).

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree both companies have amazing gear but so plain jane for looks. Everyone and there dog looks the same! I for one like to stand out in a crowd and black, red, and blue doesnt cut it. I ride Scott USA gear and for a fraction of the cost I got the same amount of seasons in and stay equally as dry.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember those from the 70's (and the AC green was almost the same color). Nice to see a little more selection that works as I wouldn't want to go back to a mono....just saying!

Im bringing the mono suit back!! I love it... lol

edit: Not so much for this time of year,, But for full on winter can't be beat..

You could roll around in the snow all day with that suit and stay warm,dry.

Last edited:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Im bringing the mono suit back!! I love it... lol

edit: Not so much for this time of year,, But for full on winter can't be beat..

You could roll around in the snow all day with that suit and stay warm,dry.

I see where you are coming from but being a flown blown sledder (not a boarder nor a skier), why would I want to roll around in the snow all day???

I like to go over the top of it and don't even like it when I have to go down into it very much

Wilk INStheWEST

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see where you are coming from but being a flown blown sledder (not a boarder nor a skier), why would I want to roll around in the snow all day???

I like to go over the top of it and don't even like it when I have to go down into it very much
I do way more rolling around on the snow sledding than I do skiing.
266003_10100390580925301_930350318_o.jpg

Top Bottom