Twin pipes at high altitude

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an opertunity to buy a set of custom twin pipes and can for a 03-07 rev 800. They were originally off a snow cross racing sled. Just wondering if they would work in high altitudes or are they designed for trail levels.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
most likely they are for racing low elev but im sure they would work...you would just have to watch your plugs and maybe fatten up your jets a size or 2. but i dont think you would see the gaings that you would see from a set of pipes designed and tested at elevation just my 0.02

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am riding a open mod cat with twin pipes at high attitude and so far it's been ok no bogging or major issues.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
twins are better for flat land,single for mountains, you'll lose some power with twins high up,:eek:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
twins are better for flat land,single for mountains, you'll lose some power with twins high up,:eek:

I run Jaws twins and I gained power up high (never actually dyno'd it, but there is a noticeable increase). Typically there is not a lot of torque to be gained, but you won't necessarily lose HP up high with twins. Jaws (and several other manufacturers) design their high altitude pipes specifically for that type of riding. High alt pipes are usually no good for riding below 3000ft though.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
torque is what you want for turning the track in deep powder..........

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I run twins on my rmk 800 and i can feel the differnce in power from bottom to top, it loses a bit but not much and when it bogs i adjust the variflow

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well back when i used twins the last about 2002 we were losing too much back preasure resulting in losing torque,if they make the new pipes with more backpressure than fine but i havent used them for quite awhile,happy with single's and easier tunning with them,lol

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I'd have to question your comment about pipes not working in the mountains. I have twins on all my sleds...1999 700 RMK, 2001 800 RMK and a 05 Rev 800. All work extremely well in the mountains....just my 2 cents.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres too many variable here like if your porting,polishing shaving ect, but for one stock i would stay with single and if you got a dyno up there at that elevation it would show the numbers,cylce works,and ecko cycle tried it and ended up with singles are better, better backpresser,thats what their numbers showed, just my two cents,but with my twin it dosent matter lolololol

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys, I ended up going with a single pipe. I talked with the guy doing my machining and he said putting on a single would be the simpler thing to do. I did buy a twin can that will give me the sound that i am looking for though.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres too many variable here like if your porting,polishing shaving ect, but for one stock i would stay with single and if you got a dyno up there at that elevation it would show the numbers,cylce works,and ecko cycle tried it and ended up with singles are better, better backpresser,thats what their numbers showed, just my two cents,but with my twin it dosent matter lolololol

Stock manifold or after market to match the pipe??

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock manifold or after market to match the pipe??

Havin trouble finding a Y to match the pipe, Maybe i havn't looked hard enough yet. Jugs are going in for machining here in a week or too, so i might just get the old one ported a little if they can do that.

Any advice would be great. thanks

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Havin trouble finding a Y to match the pipe, Maybe i havn't looked hard enough yet. Jugs are going in for machining here in a week or too, so i might just get the old one ported a little if they can do that.

Who is doing the machine work???

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

What brand of pipe are you installing??

Top Bottom