twin pipe bog at low-mid throttle??

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just put cpi pipes on my 01 800 doo, has v force 3 reeds and uni pods, sled only likes to run at 7-8000 rpm anything under it bogs bad, anybody have this problem before and what was the fix?

800polaris

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 01 800 RMK. You should get your sled re jetted, this was my problem. I went from stock w/mbrp can to twin split second pipes and had a bad lo end bog. Sled would still start fine and it would run, just run shitty. Because of the airflow through the pipes you gain hp. My sled was leaned out because of the transition. Just a thought, hope it helps.:beer:

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i got rid of the low to mid bog for the most part... now ive got a bog on the top end only when i get into the powder, on the trail i hit 8 easily but in the pow i only get 65 to 7 on the tach, feels like it is almost missing????:confused:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how did you run your dpm sensor? a buddy of mine put pods on his 2000 800 and it took a while to get her running right because the sensor from his dpm was fuggin him around. always readjusting everything on him. finally got it right and then it ran sweet.

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how did you run your dpm sensor? a buddy of mine put pods on his 2000 800 and it took a while to get her running right because the sensor from his dpm was fuggin him around. always readjusting everything on him. finally got it right and then it ran sweet.

the temp sensor i jus let hang down by the pods and the air hose i just took off, what did he do with his?:)

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
secured it in the middle of the pods seemed to work ok.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With your DPM sensor, make sure you dont get it wet. Will give false readings and run rich. I added a spacer between my pods and my carbs to give myself room to mount the sensor. It is turbo piping made out of aluminium that I got at MOPAC Auto Supply. The hose is a return line for extra fuel (I believe). I let mine hang too. You may run into issues with the twin pipes and altitude change. If your running flat ground (like they were designed for) than you should be fine with rejetting and adjusting your needle jets. If you play in the mountains you will probably have issues. I did and eventually went back to a single pipe.

boondockin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With your DPM sensor, make sure you dont get it wet. Will give false readings and run rich. I added a spacer between my pods and my carbs to give myself room to mount the sensor. It is turbo piping made out of aluminium that I got at MOPAC Auto Supply. The hose is a return line for extra fuel (I believe). I let mine hang too. You may run into issues with the twin pipes and altitude change. If your running flat ground (like they were designed for) than you should be fine with rejetting and adjusting your needle jets. If you play in the mountains you will probably have issues. I did and eventually went back to a single pipe.

thanks! do you have some pics of that setup by chance? and i say i have to severly disagree with pipes not working in the mountains, we had a 01 summit 800 with twins, a 99 Summit x 670 with twins, an 03 800 rmk slp pipe, slp intake, and an 09 summit 800 ski doo, going up hill we were all 4 running side by side by side by side, for a 99 summit x with a 151 and cpi pipes all stop to be running with 800s of all years is pretty impressive to me IMO

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the 670 x in the 99s was a freak of nature. i have read that even ski-doo couldn't understand why it ran as good as they did. i have one now bone stock except for a can and gutted air box, assaulted a brand new 800 assault and ran side by side with a 09 piped/clutched xp. they are sick engines.

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks! do you have some pics of that setup by chance? and i say i have to severly disagree with pipes not working in the mountains, we had a 01 summit 800 with twins, a 99 Summit x 670 with twins, an 03 800 rmk slp pipe, slp intake, and an 09 summit 800 ski doo, going up hill we were all 4 running side by side by side by side, for a 99 summit x with a 151 and cpi pipes all stop to be running with 800s of all years is pretty impressive to me IMO

I can take some pics tonight of my REV with the pods. it will show the reroute of the altitude sensor. I haven't had the ZX in years. I found that lots of peeps could get them to work but I just couldn't for some reason. May not have been the pipes. But at the time when I was trouble shooting this is what I was told by the mech's and the manufacturer.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
the 670 x in the 99s was a freak of nature. i have read that even ski-doo couldn't understand why it ran as good as they did. i have one now bone stock except for a can and gutted air box, assaulted a brand new 800 assault and ran side by side with a 09 piped/clutched xp. they are sick engines.

I never get tired of hearing that........:d:d

Pappillion

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can take some pics tonight of my REV with the pods. it will show the reroute of the altitude sensor. I haven't had the ZX in years. I found that lots of peeps could get them to work but I just couldn't for some reason. May not have been the pipes. But at the time when I was trouble shooting this is what I was told by the mech's and the manufacturer.

Here is the setup of my POD's. I couldn't get much closer with the camera without messing up the pics.

Attachments

• HPIM2528.JPG
    HPIM2528.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 65
  • HPIM2530.jpg
    HPIM2530.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 66

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am having a bottom end bog issue to with my twin pipes. Here is my setup... 99 670 H.O. With DPM

K&N Pods (also used the gutted factory air box same problem) Air sensor is between pods now, 44mm carbs with the UFO inserts, 420 mains, #20 pilots, 224 BBO needle tubes, 7ECY1 needles on the second richest clip, and a set of FAST twin pipes.

I have contacted the makers of the UFO's and was told to go down to #17.5 or #15 pilots. But that seems kinda lean to me. ??

I have also been told by another person to go richer on the pilots, maybe #30's. ??

And then I have also been told that FAST never made twin pipes for a 670 H.O. And that may cause a problem. ????

Thing is that this motor halls a$$ on the top end, and all my EGTs are within a good range. I have noticed that the EGTs don't go up much when it bogs, only maybe 100-150 degrees.It bogs real bad from idle to about 4700rpm and it takes a few pulls of the throttle to get the rpms up. But once there up, hold the hell on.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
egts arent necessarily in a good range. all sleds react differant based on the type of guage and the placement of the probes. you need to read the plugs after a wide open pull and if they are correct reading THEN go by what your egt says. could be 1100,1200,1300 that your machine likes.

as far as the low end bog what do the plugs look like. have you pulled them after it has been bogging for a while?

maybe dropping the needle a clip might help.

thats all i can really think of. since that is what controls the fuel flow low to mid.. pilots aswell.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have not pulled the plugs after it bogs, I will check that out. And the air screws are the air/fuel screws on the pipes/chain case side of the carbs? I will see where they are sitting, in is more air or less. Richer or leaner? Can't rember :( I will check all this out and report back as soon as I can. Thanks guys !

Smurff1000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2000 700cc summit and put Crank Shop Pipes on,
when 4 main jet sizes up
had a bit of a bog at low end,
-Dropped Needles almost worked but not great.
then
-adjusted Air screws
Not bad at all but could not get jetting perfect.
-Put much stonger springs on RAV valves
No BOG great stuff this took some time to get myself...:confused:
-Next step took off Air box and put pods:d
Wow WE
Power...
-went up 6 more jet sizes.:d:d
had to also up pilot jet 1 size
-adjust air screws again.
Much More Power.................
180km on lake plus and beat my 1000cc from start to finish.
This took all winter and alot of Springs, weights,Ramps and a team Secondary.
My story.

Top Bottom