Turning a 146 into 154

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering what I need to convert my 146 to a 154 besides a new skid and track? I originally wanted a 154 but could not pass up the deal on my 146.

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there are a few ways to do it, You could just buy rail extensions and a track that would be the cheapest way. New rails and track would be the "proper" way. Some guys use to just relocate the stock skid back in the tunnel, not even sure if you could do that in these newer sleds or not.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buy a rail extension kit. Have had a couple sleds with them and never had an issue. If you were going 146 to 163 though I would go rails.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rail ext. are garbage they always end up bending. You need new rails

$600-rails
$1300 2.5 track
$100-$250- tunnel ext.
$100 new gearing
$130- chain

If you wanted the 3" they are $1700 plus drivers $400 or so. You can save some cash by finding used parts also.

Than your time to do the work or if your paying somebody to do the switch.

Hope you saved lots of money not buying what you wanted in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boostmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rail ext. are garbage they always end up bending. You need new rails

$600-rails
$1300 2.5 track
$100-$250- tunnel ext.
$100 new gearing
$130- chain

If you wanted the 3" they are $1700 plus drivers $400 or so. You can save some cash by finding used parts also.

Than your time to do the work or if your paying somebody to do the switch.

Hope you saved lots of money not buying what you wanted in the first place.

lol wow, Yea to get it back to full stock specs yes that would be the correct way to do it. But come on if stock spec was the best setup no one would every mod.

You can find a used take off track from some one who went 156 to 163 save 800-900 bucks there. Rail extensions are find under normal use, If your into big air and drops than yea new rails would be a much better option. as for the tunnel extension I don't know if you could get away without it. I can say that i went from a 153 to 162 on my 08 Nytro for a season before changing out the complete tunnel without any problems.

As to the chain and sprocket i think you would be just fine with the stock setup.

JMO you will find lots of them.

Last edited:

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see a set of rail ext not bend. Hell stock rails bend often enough.

As far as gearing yeah you can leave it but your going to have to change it or clutching to make up for that extra track. No use going through all these changes and work not to turn that track efficiently.

Point is it's just easier to buy what you want than screw around with all this work. Whatever money you think you will save you will spend modding. JMO hahaha

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have yet to see a set of rail ext not bend. Hell stock rails bend often enough.

As far as gearing yeah you can leave it but your going to have to change it or clutching to make up for that extra track. No use going through all these changes and work not to turn that track efficiently.

Point is it's just easier to buy what you want than screw around with all this work. Whatever money you think you will save you will spend modding. JMO hahaha

I know right..............lol.

The idea is to get the parts off of Craigslist and the seem pretty common from what I've seen. I already found the complete skid, still need to find a track though. I'm not wanting a 3" track, I'm just considering swapping the parts out to make my sled a 154 if it's economical to do so.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you put ice scratchers on. You will notice a loss of cooling. Most of the cooling comes from the very rear portion if the tunnel.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did the 154-163 swap and found some take off parts and got some new and it still cost me almost $2000. The $750 difference at the dealership is worth it.

budget swap would be gearing, clutching, track and move the skid backwards.

Top Bottom