Turn buckle direction

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This may be a stupid question. Was installing my sled deck with turnbuckles got to the last one and it seems wrong. Bought 4 from princess auto on same shelf got home and tried to tighten last on and as I tighten it one end goes out while one goes in doing absolutely nothing. Just wondering if I'm an idiot or do they make turnbuckles like this. Not sure what the purpose for these is but it's got me confused. Would this be a manufacturer defect. They both have right hand thread but buckle has an r on one end and l on the other not sure what's going on. Thanks

Rust

Reaction score
I had trouble with turn buckles backing off a bit, even with a jam nut on the right handed threads. I bolted it down through the box this yr with 1/2 bolts and 6"x 4" x 1/4" plates on the bottom of the box as a washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you can always use mechanics/bailing wire and tie the turnbuckle to leg of deck. wont be able to back off then

Stockorwalk

Reaction score
They do make turnbuckles with both ends right hand thread but sounds like this one is an oops.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Prepare for box damage if you've only gone through the box sheet metal.

I had trouble with turn buckles backing off a bit, even with a jam nut on the right handed threads. I bolted it down through the box this yr with 1/2 bolts and 6"x 4" x 1/4" plates on the bottom of the box as a washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we spec turn buckles we state to drill the bolts near the ends and install spring pins so if they back off the spring pin stops the rotation.

#canadastrong

Top Bottom