turbos-anyone put on 01 800 Ski doo?

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So, if av gas is only 1 point above premium, why do people run it, and why is it not allowed in some racing?

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In some cases people run av cause ithey know that it is fresh and they can buy it cheaper than they can premium.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Av gas is only like 1 octane higher than premium.. There is also no lead in av, but the only real possible benefit to av is if you can get it from somewhere that you know goes thru alot of it, you know that you are getting fresh fuel..

HEY GLENGINE: AV GAS IS AVAILABLE IN SEVERAL DIFFERENT OCTANE RATINGS, AND STARTS IN AT LEAST 10 OCTANE POINTS HIGHER THAN SUPREME GASOLINE.... ALSO THERE IS NO LEAD AVAILABLE IN ANY FUELS ANYMORE(ITS ILLEGAL, AND WAS BANNED IN THE LATE 70'S/EARLY 80'S), BUT THAT USED TO BE THE MAIN DIFFERENCE IN AV GAS AND SUPREME GAS(OTHER THAN THE HUGE OCTANE RATING DIFFENCE) AND YOU HAD TO INSTALL AN STP GAS TREATMENT IN THE OLD RACE CARS TO LUBRICATE THE VALVES WHEN USING AV GAS -- ANCIENT CHINESE SECRET;)........

kell2784

Reaction score
Avgas still has low amounts of lead. It's designated 100LL. (100 octane, low lead.) Aircraft engines still req LL fuel, due to engine design.

vpfuelman

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
The only lead in avgas is what was in the tanks when they quit producing it in the 80's so then none and the motor octane is a 96 only ...

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey VP, Post some pricing on VP Fuels. As for getting AV gas, Just got to the airport fueling stations and ask, they will point you in the right direction. I have a buy that works at the airport so he can hook me up no prob, If he still works there(he works winter time fueling up the plows and snaders and such).

vpfuelman

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
VP-111 pump octane of 111 leaded is $525.00 this is the most common fuel used for snowmobile use .

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thats not to bad. So its around 2.65/L. That gets kinda pricy as i can burn 200+L in a weekend(3 days). But i guess if a guy wanted to he could turn it down and only run this stuff for one day a weekend.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually what alot of guys do, as long as there sled isn't a turbo, is they just put a couple gallons in per tank.. So like 2G per tank and the rest premium. That way you know that you have good fuel. It works as kinda a safe gaurd..

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya but if you want to turn a sled up alot(IE like 250+ on a 2 stroke) you would have to run good fuel for the whole tank.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to run a turbo as far as i'm concerned it aint worth messin around with fuel. When if you burn upo your engine and put debris thru the turbo you then have to get it fixed. Which could run you up to like 1500 per turbo..

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are going to run a turbo as far as i'm concerned it aint worth messin around with fuel. When if you burn upo your engine and put debris thru the turbo you then have to get it fixed. Which could run you up to like 1500 per turbo..

what does that have to do with the race fuel?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya but if you want to turn a sled up alot(IE like 250+ on a 2 stroke) you would have to run good fuel for the whole tank.

hey catzuki
i work at SAAB should i find a few turbos kicking around here!
or maybe just build 2 set ups so i can try one out for ya! lol
no but serious i want more power let me know how ya make out

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes there was some debris go thru the turbo's. The main reason that you have to run race fuel is the fact that you are jamming alot more air/fuel into the cylinder. This in turn causes a higher probability of detination. With the better fuel it actually helps bring down operating temp because of not detinating.. There are many different kinds of turb's, some are better than others.. The main kits that we sell are quite light, as they don't have the oil tank, oil pump, extra fuel, intercoolers, etc.. A single turbo kit for an 800 is like 20-25lbs...

Top Bottom