turbos-anyone put on 01 800 Ski doo?

kell2784

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has installed a turbo on a 2001 800 Skidoo? Do you need a different head/pistons? What type, and where can someone pick one up?

Yes, I know, I'm pretty new at this?:D

thanks

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has installed a turbo on a 2001 800 Skidoo? Do you need a different head/pistons? What type, and where can someone pick one up?

Yes, I know, I'm pretty new at this?:D

thanks

There are older sleds out there with turbos,I've seen polaris 580-600 triples with them on,best to call Ken at Specialty.780-451-1130
For pistons and heads,depends on how much boost you want to run....:rant:

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you get any knowledge on turbo'in a carb sled pass it on im lookin to start a project. off the top of my head you would want to bring compression down as low as possible , while maintaining low rpm /0boost throttle response. cut the heads or and get low comp pistions to do so

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I might have some time to start buildin my kit for my 07 rev 800. CPI in the states makes a kit for the ZX Chassie. Way cheaper than specialty and have been doin the turbo thing for way longer than specialty. Also, the problem with 2 stroke turbo's is you have to run good gas all of the time. AV gas or race fuel. I know they use a head with better domes to lower compression. Thats the hardest problem from what i know is to get the boost to compression right with out detionation.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:DI have'nt changed my heads,,still stock...
My turbos come from UTAH USA Airodyne.....they been doing this for who knows how long...Specialty only install's them....Check out Utah they are very populated by turbo'ed sled's,more than stock.. :)

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i know that specialty only installs them, but it all depends on how much boost you want to run with head mods. Me i plan on wanting to run just AV gas with around 10lbs or so. Also the Areodyn(areocharger) turbos are very nice, but also very expensive to buy and repair when they break. A automotive turbo uses a handfull of parts where the areochargers use about 200 parts. But they both have advantages and disadvantages to using them. Turbo lag on a automotive charger is always there were as the areochargers are fully spooled at around 3-4000rpm. So this meens no turbo lag. Personally, ill be using a mitsubishe turbo when i do mine. Small and cheap and easy to get parts for and can be R&R'd easily.

kell2784

Reaction score
Do you have an estimate $ for the mitsubishi turbo?
I will plan on running straight avgas, so will I need a new head and pistons?

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have an estimate $ for the mitsubishi turbo?
I will plan on running straight avgas, so will I need a new head and pistons?

Ya the there mitsu turbos average any were from 400-800 dollars. They are small and also readily avablible. Id look into pistons and such just to drop compression down. Some people also use the HO head i think on the SO motors to get the compression down i think. Look on snowest, there is a 2 stroke turbo thread on there. Ill see if i can dig it up.

Also as Ron mentioned, Absolute has turbo kits, But they are not cheap. It is the smae kit that Specialty uses and around the 6k mark for a kit. Another thing is to intercool it as that will make the best power compared to straight in. I might look into getting a company to build me a cooler for mine. The sled shops say its expensive to get them built, but i beg to differ as a truck intercooler only costs 1000 dollars and one 1/4 of the size costs 800. So i think there is a big profit there.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:D I dont think you should worry about cooling....mine run cool just the way they are..if they get too cool,they start toact up,,,,they dont like to be too cold...ride with me and i'll show ya...Unless your mounting them right against the motor,,,:)and like i said before, im still running stock heads and pistons on my 1000 :D

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya but the RT1000 haas lower compression than the 800's. But in one way it is nice to have them intercooled for heat issues. But you dont have to. The kits that absolute and pure addiction and specialty sell for the 800's are intercooled. So they said at the snow show.And dont worry ill take your word on it as you own a turbo'd 2 stroke.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:d As For Repairing The Airodynes,,i'll Let You Guys Know Shortly As Mine Will Be Back This Week From Getting Repaired From Airodyne,utah Usa...:d

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool, ya thats the only thing im not sure about is the repair costs of those. I see lots of rebuilts for sale and they are from 1500-1900 for a used one. Good luck and let us know what the cost comes out to be.

twin turbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:) You bet i'll let ya know,also before anybody uses an aftermarket turbo,like a mitsibishi,batter make sure theres parts avalible for your turbo,,,,you might lose alot of down time,,or you might just have to replace whole turbo....??:)

vpfuelman

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
The Aerocharger tubo kits Specialty Sleds sells do not have any intercoolers for a reason from aerodyne and they are 53 series for the 800 and twin 53s for the 1000 and soon to come (next summer) single 63 series for the 1000s and run 111 race fuel only no premium or avgas with 10 lb boost ...

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a little correction for catzuki.. The turbo kits that are sold thru specilaty are not all intercooled.. Only the boondocker kits are intercooled.. And unless you are running it at like 14+lbs boost you do not need an intercooler.. Furthermore if you are not getting cold air onto that intercooler all the time what it ends up doing is turniong into a radiator and heating the air charge up... The kit that is on twin turbo's rt is a non intercooled set-up. And it makes some good hp numbers.. But you must run GOOD gas....

catzuki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its kinda weird how one company can say there kit will run on Premium and another says it needs to be on VP or AV gas. I have lookin at these kits since last year, and yes you 2 are right. But, the kits that absolut or Pure addication sell(BOOST WORX) Are intercooled and are only running around 8-11psi of boost. But same thing you have to run race fuel. So why do you keep saying that non of the kits locally are intercooled. They were at the sled show and im sure lots of people seen the rev with a areo and an intercooler.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With an areocharger turbo kit there is no need for an intercooler.. I'm not sure who would have had a rev with an aerocharger and an intercooler.. It definitely wasn't specialty.. We had an M100 there with a boondocker turbo kit that had an intercooler on it.. We also cut a big hole in the hood in front of it, so it would get cold air.. Then we screened the hole to keep snow out.. I'm not sure what is so important about an intercooler? It adds weight and if it is not getting cold air across it at all times it will hurt performance.. The reason is that it will heat the intake air charge, as it will work like a radiator.. Just like some people will put intake screens on an aerocharger turbo.. WRONG IDEA. This will cause the turbo to over spool, and there is also no need for it... I didn't say none of the kits locally are intercooled.. I said that the aerocharger kits from specialty are not intercooled, and that the boondocker ones were...

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Av gas is only like 1 octane higher than premium.. There is also no lead in av, but the only real possible benefit to av is if you can get it from somewhere that you know goes thru alot of it, you know that you are getting fresh fuel.. If you want to make your sled put out like an extra 75-125 or more hp than stock it seems normal that you wouldn't run it on the same fuel.. You may not have to run a straight race fuel, it may be able to be blended with premium. But yoiu will definitely need some race fuel... And Vp111 isn't much more than av gas anyway..

Top Bottom