Turbo Sled pre season Maintenance

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Before I go for my first ride I have a few things that I feel should be checked.
First off I go over my sled top off oil in turbo tank,coolant level.
I take off the airfilter and lock a set of vise grips on the nut on the impeller to keep the turbo from spinning.
I take off the oil line off the top of the turbo and start untill I am positve that the oil is pumping.
Once the oil is flowing I turn of the sled,reinstall the oil line,take off the vise grips and turn the impeller by hand,it should turn very easily.
I have had a turbo after sitting all summer gum up before and the impeller wouldn't spin.
With mixed fuel with oil there is the chance of it gumming up over the summer and rust can always happen while sitting so check your turbo's.
I then after everything has checked out run the sled up to temperature then change the oil in the turbo tank,then attach the vise grips again and make sure the turbo is getting oil once again.

So do any of you do this kind of maintenance?
Is there other things I should be checkng for?
Like mice moving into the airbox over the summer.....Cheers

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boost lines for cracks and wear, every two rides, reeds every couple hundred miles. Top end for me this year :)

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Boost lines for cracks and wear, every two rides, reeds every couple hundred miles. Top end for me this year :)

This...my room mate tried his out yesterday and couldn't figure out why his AF kept spiking. Cracks all through the tube going to the attitude box

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Y pipes are also prone to cracking so its good to check them for some cracks.

During and after every ride.I have a sled in my shop with one ride,64 km and that y pipe is cracked.I have now ordered a D & D Turbo Y pipe,hoping to get a season out of it.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dave ive been told that the linderman y pipe is supposed to last! That may be something that will work for you? What do you think about running boost plates?

Top Bottom