turbo M8 starting issues

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Friend has a 2010 M8 with stage 2 cutler turbo and just had the reeds replaced. It fired up fine after, drove in the garage, did the normal service of changing oils and cleaning valves. He fired it up again and loaded it on the trailer to take it home. The next day he went out to try and start it and it won't go. Originally he forgot to turn the kill switch back on but did after about 15-20 pulls, but now it just won't fire. I went over yesterday to take a look and it's like it's getting to much fuel. It will try the odd time to fire but barely. We pulled the plugs and it's got spark but seems like excessive fuel coming out the plugs when we pull it over. Told him I would ask if anyone has any ideas. Thanks in advance.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try clearing out the cylinders first. Take your plugs out clean them so they are dry. I use a quick sec with the torch then just pull the motor over a few times to blow the excess fuel/oil out. You can even use a quick shot of compressed air. Put your plugs back in and when you pull it over don't forget your kill switch. Should fire after that if it's flooded.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the plugs were wet so we dried them and cleaned them with a wire wheel. I pulled the sled over a few times but was thinking maybe we didn't pull it over enough and still had to much fuel in it. was going to get buddy to try heating the plugs and maybe stick the torch in the plug holes. not sure.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah the plugs were wet so we dried them and cleaned them with a wire wheel. I pulled the sled over a few times but was thinking maybe we didn't pull it over enough and still had to much fuel in it. was going to get buddy to try heating the plugs and maybe stick the torch in the plug holes. not sure.

Ya just make sure to clean the cylinder out really good. Torch your plugs quick then pull it over. Should fire if it was flooded. If not make sure it is getting air, fuel, and spark.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Disconnect your fuel controller and see if it starts easier, letting it idle without the controller is okay. You could try tapping on the injector maybe it's stuck.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ditto on the fuel controller. But before you do that pull the plug on the ECU to see if there's any corrosion and add some dielectric grease. My nephews M8T had these same symptoms last year and that's all it ended up being.....after a week of checking everything else we could think of.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just an update but I got it going. I unplugged the injectors so it wouldn't feed it anymore fuel, pulled probably close to 40-50 times before she fired and stayed running, let it burn up the fuel that was built up until she died, connected the injectors back up and now she's good to go. Thanks for all your help.

Top Bottom