Turbo 850 fuel.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Picked up a fuel octane tester a while back for drag week and race week events. Mostly because of all the crappy towns we’d drive through with the race/street cars.

as mentioned it is very surprising what you get.

my advice, always buy at high volume areas, especially if there’s a lot of higher end sports cars demanding. Ethanol Genral makes more power than regular gasoline, the trade off “can be” water. But given most people ride hard enough to empty a tank every ride I wouldn’t be so concerned like the old days.

also keep in mind when you buy 91, that’s the minimum purchase... in Genral. Most of the time the octane you purchase is greater than 91. Octane tester usually shows 92-96 depending on the gas stations last rank fill or when the plants batch was last completed.

How does the average joe go about testing the octane level in fuel? I have 100ish litres of race fuel sitting in my garage since 2014 and I was curious if it was still any good or not

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What compression ratio?

Best power is least amount of octane to avoid detonation is my dyno experience. I'm puzzled by your results.

Just broke in a 505ci on an engine dyno in Ponoka, Husky 94 made 10 more torque and HP vs Esso 91, same timing curve.

We even did c12, same power as Husky 94.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the dynamic compression is, but I believe the static compression is 11:1.

cant compare the 850T to a NA 850. I’d run 94 in it all day, betting it makes more power. It’s boosted, 94 will play better. Is there a knock sensor or timing curve adjustment on these engines?

In my daily driver, it was a SC V8, it always ran best on Husky 94 vs Esso and Shell 91.

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What CTD commented .
Why do people think octane is going to be magic in a nozzle is beyond me .
Put in what’s required for the elevation , compression motor is designed for ?

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Octane is not power.

I just checked the elevation of Ponoka, 807m. Not knowing the details of your BB & @ that elevation 94 Octane wouldn't be necessary.So if your results are true there are more details needed to explain it.

Not sure what the dynamic compression is, but I believe the static compression is 11:1.

cant compare the 850T to a NA 850. I’d run 94 in it all day, betting it makes more power. It’s boosted, 94 will play better. Is there a knock sensor or timing curve adjustment on these engines?

In my daily driver, it was a SC V8, it always ran best on Husky 94 vs Esso and Shell 91.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Octane is not power.

I just checked the elevation of Ponoka, 807m. Not knowing the details of your BB & @ that elevation 94 Octane wouldn't be necessary.So if your results are true there are more details needed to explain it.

We are derailing this actually, these instances technically have nothing to do with the OP’s question.

I wonder how that particular fuel octane rating is being increased, it’s possible that the ethanol content in that fuel is causing the power increase. Ethanol increases the RON number, therefore potentially increasing the HP.
Ethanol has proven to make HP in four stroke engines, I have always wondered if this also translated into 2 strokes as well, remember back in the day when polaris had a ethanol setting on the ignition key??

Take the koenigsegg Agera for example the engines computer system will sense what fuel the engine is using, and adjust the HP based on that fuel type, the engine in this car will make way more HP running ethanol fuels than high octane gas. E85 has more Octane than 95 octane fuel.

My brothers snowbike requires ethanol for his bike to run correctly with the fuel box he is running on it. He actually mixes ethanol in his fuel to get his bike to run correctly, and boy does it ever now that he’s mixing ethanol in his gas.
A US engineer from that fuel box company tested all the fuel in revy a few seasons back trying to figure out why bikes with his fuel box would not run correctly. He found that there was no ethanol in the gas, gas in the US does contain ethanol and his box was developed to run a fuel with a certain amount of ethanol in it.

As far as the 850T fuel question, I thought it said 91 octane with max 10% ethanol on the fuel cap???

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im not saying water is instantly in ethanol fuel. Ethanol is Hygroscopic. That means it absorbs water. Any humidity in the air will get absorbed into the fuel little by little. That's why I mentioned sitting in the off season. I have ran other premium when i had no choice. for me anything that goes in a Jerry can is premium. When i put my lawnmower, boat, sled, bike away for there respective seasons I make sure the last tank of fuel to go through has no ethanol. If you fill up and burn it right away it is not as big of a deal. If you don't believe me you can look up ethanol and check it out for yourself. Brake fluid is also Hygroscopic. Thats why your not supposed to use it out of an opened container.

This is very accurate a quick search will tell you conventional non ethanol gasoline will only hold up to 150ppm water, ethanol 10% blend will hold up to 7000ppm(close to 1% water). The small engine guys tell you to stay away from it on mixed gas because water strips lubrication. On new machines with oil injection you have to think they can throw enough lubrication at it but it’s still something I avoid(ethanol) only on my two stroke stuff. Use the recommended octane on the cap if your using more general rule is your spending money losing power.

Reactions: CJD
Top Bottom