Turbo 2 strokes..... Boring???

Blecter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As it stands, I don't want a turbo. I just want the whistle for the cool factor. Adds 35 HP.

matm8snopro

Reaction score
To each there own. I'd rather spent the "turbo" money on a used second sled so when I choose that line in the trees and it bites me in the ass, I have another sled to ride for the weekend or until the other is fixed. That being said, the power of the turbo is addicting. But I have noticed the resale price of a turbo'd sled isn't much more then an non - turbo sled. Anyone else noticed this?

moto5151

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I've read all the commentts on this thread. Here's what I have to say. I have a turbo pro, new to me this year. I ride with a group of people who all own some sort of boosted, or supercharged sled. I was the only stocker. I became a better rider due to the fact I had to challenge myself a lot, to get to where the others were getting with relative ease. Now that I'm on a turbo, I'm hoping I can take that experience and knowledge, apply it to a turbo sled and get wayyy better. We all challenge each other no matter what sled we ride or the hp it puts out. I'm just hoping I can do the challenging, rather then always getting challenged. Honestly, main reason for the turbo. I was just tired of getting stuck. Not for bragging rights.

Longhairfreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you owned a yamaha turbo. Installed and set up by a real installer. Theres no fawking around! 5 yrs and never had to do anything but add fuel and change oil. Its when ya cheap out. It bites ya in the ass quick.
5 yr old Yamaha? There is no way that thing will keep up with the new sleds. Just ask some of the Snow and Mud members.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To each there own. I'd rather spent the "turbo" money on a used second sled so when I choose that line in the trees and it bites me in the ass, I have another sled to ride for the weekend or until the other is fixed. That being said, the power of the turbo is addicting. But I have noticed the resale price of a turbo'd sled isn't much more then an non - turbo sled. Anyone else noticed this?

I bought my setup used, and for around $2600 investment, I have a boondocker intercooled race gas turbo kit, boondocker ekey, boondocker EBC, clutch setup, boost gauge, an a2w intercooler that im going to eventually replace the a2a core with, just need an EGT and wideband setup for monitoring. Best part is that it was half the price of a new kit. (even if the turbo is toast, I see GT2860RS turbos for sale all the time.) It can be had for much less than the kits are sold for new, and if youre handy, you could build your own kit from brand new components for fairly cheap, after I bought the boondocker kit, i realized that I could easily have put a kit together myself. I have experience with turbo fourstroke car engines though.

First time I rode a turbo sled, I had to have one. the power is addictive for sure, I started with a stock turbo car, it was so addictive, that I built it into a monster that is hardly streetable anymore. lol

Last edited:

Kyle91rs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hahaha I just let him read all these comments that you guys have. Apparently, and I quote "those guys are all retarded and must not have ever been to the mountains, turbos take the fun away from mountain riding" LOLOLOLOL. Had to share that haha.

I rode a twisted m8 last year and for the 25 mins I spent on it, I still can't stop thinking about the power. It's definitely an addiction. Hills where I was barely cresting over the top on my stock m8, I was wheeling over on the twisted sled. I can't wait to get my sled on the snow now under boost.

Moto5151, I agree with your statement. I had to really learn how to ride last season when a few guys turbo'd their sleds. It's fun pushing yourself on a stocker to keep up with a turbo. Obviously there are times when it's impossible, for me anyways, and I wished I had the extra power. I am hoping that last years skills that I've gained will help me evolve even more as a better rider with a turbo.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever ONCE heard a turbo owner say...
"oh dear... I am so bored.... this is just redundant" .. just sayin...

Did Cam H always have good things to say about his turbo pro?

assaultn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Borring??? Never, I ran boost for three years and not a dull moment. Usually because a guy gets himself into so much trouble with the power available to take you into some pretty sketchy places with all your buddies watchn from the bottom unable to get up ther to help ya. I went back to NA and find I am a better rider on it. I may not climb as high as fast but I will get to the top and usually do it pretty creatively. I agree with the fact that if your riding area and snow conditions are limited having 240hp can make things alot less challenging but it will never be boring. Also, as much as I hate to agree with max I also think half of the riders runnin boost these days dont have a clue what to do with all the ponies.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having a turbo would not be boring at all!!Bigger is not always better though.Mountain sledding is not just about having the fastest bestest sled.Its about being out in the back country with good friends and family.Having fun and enjoying the awesomeness of the mountains.I would say 7 out of 10 turbo guys i would not hange with cause there idea of sledding is way different than mine.there focus is diffrent there attitude is different They should be on drag strips not the mountains.Personly i am going to have my hands full riding my new skidoo to its limits!!!If i won the lottery there is no doubt i would have a turbo sled....would i ride it all the time not probably not.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The most fun I've ever had sledding is with a group of people on stock sleds all trying to mash their way to the top of the hill. Didn't realize that so many people think less than 200hp is no fun. More HP doesn't stop you from getting stuck. If you get stuck on a stock sled you'll get stuck on a turbo.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would say the same if your doing it to get stuck less, i light bb might be better suited over a turbo, as for running stock...... it just makes for a sad day, of wishing every hill that you had your bb ... there is less fun factor

Treedragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the wheelie's and there's nothing like having 200hp on tap with your ass puckering on wether your going to make it through those tree's before you go over backwards, but thats just boring. Install is everything to having a reliable turbo and some knowledge in how it works helps too. Hands down I've never had so much fun sledding until the turbo was installed. The sound,wheelies, and the adrenaline is what's got me hooked, I don't need to have the fastest sled in the group but it's sure fun when there's 3ft of fresh and your turboed sled feels like a stocker sure glad I'm turboed :rockon:RED DRAGONS :xmas-smiley-010:

snowbuster

Reaction score
I put a turbo kit on my m8 last season and even with the tuning issues, open hood time while everyone is buzzing around you, and the extra weight, once it is dialled in you forget those issues and grin ear to ear. In my riding group I was the first to go turbo (guinea pig) and when the others tried my machine they all agreed the difference is night and day. My first climb on the turbo I flew up the hill not even noticing the descent was going to be out of control. Managed to get down without catastrophe but was a real eye opener. I ride stockers too but once you have gone turbo it is hard to go back.

Top Bottom