tunnel damage....

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so my sled was in a fight with a stump and lost :( ..

suggestions on how to fix it??

think it could be just banged out by a company...

new tunnel....

photo-6.jpg

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got insurance? I don't think that is going to buff out...

no collison :( ... yea hit a stump in the snow and it flipped and landed on the stump or something. buddy of mine borrowed it..

just trying to see all the options out there so it doesnt cost him a fortune.. its not looking good though..

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once aluminum bends like that it stretches. You can bend it back to make it functional but it will never look like it did pre impact unfortunately.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Once aluminum bends like that it stretches. You can bend it back to make it functional but it will never look like it did pre impact unfortunately.

yeah thats what i thought. im assuming getting an after market tunnel probably be the best idea.. might as well if its being stripped down anyways..f.. the tunnel job be the same price as the sleds worth!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah thats what i thought. im assuming getting an after market tunnel probably be the best idea.. might as well if its being stripped down anyways..f.. the tunnel job be the same price as the sleds worth!

Unfortunately I have seen the old buddy used my sled deal and this is what happened quite abit in the 30 years I have been in the industry. There is no good way of explaining to your buddy that its going to cost him $2500 to fix "his" mistake. If he is a good buddy you won't even have to ask him. He should be asking you where he can get it fixed for you. Anything you do to patch or bend it back will hurt you at resale time. It looks like an 09' from the pic so maybe for $7000 your buddy should be getting in the sport instead of borrowing, If you know what I mean? Good luck!

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have seen the old buddy used my sled deal and this is what happened quite abit in the 30 years I have been in the industry. There is no good way of explaining to your buddy that its going to cost him $2500 to fix "his" mistake. If he is a good buddy you won't even have to ask him. He should be asking you where he can get it fixed for you. Anything you do to patch or bend it back will hurt you at resale time. It looks like an 09' from the pic so maybe for $7000 your buddy should be getting in the sport instead of borrowing, If you know what I mean? Good luck!

yeah he felt pretty bad having to call me and tell me. he said he would pay for any thing that was damaged. he has his own, it was stolen a few weeks ago. guys not having any luck. worst part i think he was more concerned that my boyfriend would be mad than me... lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he is a straight up guy then. I'm sure it will work out for the best.

wildchild

Reaction score
I would take that down to a body shop and see what they say, I have fixed worse than that .

Body shop will be able to use there pullers to pull on the rear section and hammer and dollie most of it out. They will not get it 100% but be close.

Then use some aluminum to make reinforcement plates and rivet them on the under side to get back some support.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

couldn't a guy bang it out the best he can,add 1/8" stainless steel plate as a reinforcement to cover up the damage and strengthen it...might only be a temp fix.Just depends how much u wanna spend and how fast u want the tunnel replaced..if u wanted to replace it in the summer,i think i would do the reinforcement.

sleded1

Reaction score
What about a vanamburg bumper? It will cover and strengthen the rear of the tunnel, making it actually better than before. I don't have any pictures, but I'm sure someone here does.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cheapest fix by the looks of things would be get a tunnel extenstion (200), and some 1/8(maybe 100) high quality aluminum for a renforcement under that spot were you cut off the back bent part and add the new extention back on... some stainless rivets(50)... new bumper or used (150-250) thats if you do it your self or you pay someone to do it

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
cheapest fix by the looks of things would be get a tunnel extenstion (200), and some 1/8(maybe 100) high quality aluminum for a renforcement under that spot were you cut off the back bent part and add the new extention back on... some stainless rivets(50)... new bumper or used (150-250) thats if you do it your self or you pay someone to do it

Daryl Baker at Racers Edge south of Calgary 403-254-8686 could make it look nice with a tunnel extension. For northern Alberta try Mountain Magic or Specialty Sleds. All do beautiful work.

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Daryl Baker at Racers Edge south of Calgary 403-254-8686 could make it look nice with a tunnel extension. For northern Alberta try Mountain Magic or Specialty Sleds. All do beautiful work.

thanks! ill be calling them tomorrow. im assuming if my boyfriend strips it down it would be cheaper.. or a bit cheaper anyways. i really like the Van amburg tunnels! :D

HRT Offroad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty easy fix to make it structurally sound again and you'll be able to give it a custom look too:D Just depends how "savvy" the person doing the repair and fabrication is. I would personally make a new tunnel back half that incorporates some side stiffeners that go up the main tunnel sides (similar to the look of the Van Amburg tunnels).

justpinit

Reaction score
neither one is a cheap solution, but looks great!

VE Boon dock bumper kit - Straighten it all out as good as you can, then install this kit over the damage - $944 US
xpboondockkit001.jpg

IMG_1272.jpg

Complete tunnel - Could be $4000+ or more.....depends what you want and how much work you do yourself.

sim_aimone_custom_xp.jpg

lovexp.jpg

quickclicker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah i actually like the bumper kit.. i think ill take it down to speciality sleds or something in edmonton and see how much they can straighten out or what they think would be the best optin either full tunnel or bumper kitt.

Top Bottom