trucking career

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys thinking of heading trucking in the near future, just looking on some info on what to expect,this is all very new to me but something ive always wanted to do, any input thanks

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what kind of trucking that you're looking to get into...long haul, local, freight, oilfield, etc, etc, etc. Be prepared to pay your dues, chances are you'll start in older units that have had a few drivers through them. Once you gain more experience and seniority, you'll work your way up to newer units. Electronic logs will be here shortly, which means no 'massaging' your log books. Be prepared to be away from home, missing birthdays, holidays, special times with family, home cooked meals and Putting up with douche canoe drivers. But also be prepared to see a lot of great country and meeting new friends. I got to see some really wild country hauling heavy equipment, driving down cut lines in the winter in the middle of the night trying to find where the seismic crew parked their nodwells. Helping with recoveries of equipment that dropped through the skeg. It was always interesting and never got boring which is why I have been at this game for so many years.
It's a love / hate relationship...some days you love it, other days you wonder why you didn't stay in school

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what kind of trucking that you're looking to get into...long haul, local, freight, oilfield, etc, etc, etc. Be prepared to pay your dues, chances are you'll start in older units that have had a few drivers through them. Once you gain more experience and seniority, you'll work your way up to newer units. Electronic logs will be here shortly, which means no 'massaging' your log books. Be prepared to be away from home, missing birthdays, holidays, special times with family, home cooked meals and Putting up with douche canoe drivers. But also be prepared to see a lot of great country and meeting new friends. I got to see some really wild country hauling heavy equipment, driving down cut lines in the winter in the middle of the night trying to find where the seismic crew parked their nodwells. Helping with recoveries of equipment that dropped through the skeg. It was always interesting and never got boring which is why I have been at this game for so many years.
It's a love / hate relationship...some days you love it, other days you wonder why you didn't stay in school

I totally agree Woody...I finally got out after 31 years of major sacrifices. When I was young and single it was great getting to travel and get paid for it and had the opportunity to run all over North America hauling some pretty cool stuff. If you have a family I would definitely not recommend going long haul, it won't just be you making sacrifices but your family will suffer too. I can't tell you the number of things I missed out on and it eventually cost me a marriage. If you can find something that has some kind of schedule...7 on/7 off etc. or only gone a couple nights per week then it's not so bad. After everything I've done I prefer working in the bush, way less government regulation crap that is only going to get worse. I started driving before we ran log books in Canada, that's when it was a blast. Having a Class 1 isn't a bad thing, it's always something to fall back on if needed.

Personally I wouldn't recommend getting into trucking but there are some niche areas that give you a good work/life balance and decent pay. My best advice if you go for it is try and find a company that has their fingers in hauling different kinds of loads and not just 1 product. I found the money was generally better working for smaller companies and you weren't just a seat filler, you actually got some respect as well.

Good luck, hope it all works out for ya!

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey guys thinking of heading trucking in the near future, just looking on some info on what to expect,this is all very new to me but something ive always wanted to do, any input thanks

How old are you? If you're young enough get into something else!
There is money to be made if you get into hauling logs, low bedding etc but very little money to be made if you want to be one of those highway truckers. Highway trucking is for hindus that wear shorts and sandals year round and have no idea how to throw on a set of chains.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I did it. Had a great time. Saw every state and province at least once. Made a damn good living. Miled out a couple trucks. Would I recommend it to someone else? Not a phuckin chance!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the Discovery Channel is any indication, you can drive the "toughest roads in the world" if you are a 20 yr old gal with no experience, but you can drive a tractor onto a cut line and out again (with no trailer) then through a 2' snow drift. I personally have never driven a rig professionally, but I'm pretty sure I could be the next great "Ice Road Trucker". GAWD....I used to like that show.

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

WOODY, who did you drive for? and what years were you hauling seismic drills? I had half a dozen track drills through the 80,s and 90,s, and spent a little time buried in the odd swamp and or beaver dam... I used the Beck boys and Roger Albrecht for most of my trucking and or cat tow work.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove for Trak Equipment Haulers,we hauled seismic for Vaughn Eccles, out of Spruce Grove, when his trucks couldn't keep up in the winter which was fairly often back then.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove for Trak Equipment Haulers,we hauled seismic for Vaughn Eccles, out of Spruce Grove, when his trucks couldn't keep up in the winter which was fairly often back then.

no sh!t? we used to do a lot of hauling for Vaughn. do you know Bob that used to drive there? I made a lot of miles with him hauling drills. Vaughn and my dad are old friends

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I did not use Vaughn too often for just that reason, could never get him.. Bill Speth, Dave Speth and Brian Park used him lots though.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no sh!t? we used to do a lot of hauling for Vaughn. do you know Bob that used to drive there? I made a lot of miles with him hauling drills. Vaughn and my dad are old friends

You bet, I remember Bob. Didn't he leave Vaughns to go pull possum bellies?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You bet, I remember Bob. Didn't he leave Vaughns to go pull possum bellies?

last time I saw him was up in High Level driving one of Allnite's trucks moving rigs. that had to be 5 years ago, maybe more

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
giving me flashbacks man. one of the hairiest trips I ever did was for Vaughn hauling a drill straight north cross country from west of Worsley into Chinchaga. middle of the night, two sets on, and a patch of the seat gripped firmly betwixt the cheeks of my ass. came out onto the high grade at Wolf Creek around km 80.

woody_tobius_jr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
giving me flashbacks man. one of the hairiest trips I ever did was for Vaughn hauling a drill straight north cross country from west of Worsley into Chinchaga. middle of the night, two sets on, and a patch of the seat gripped firmly betwixt the cheeks of my ass. came out onto the high grade at Wolf Creek around km 80.

Lol, yeah I hear ya, I took a drill in on the chin at the top of the hill by the camp and then turned left, all 4 on and a steering, going down this goat trail and making a 90 at the bottom across the creek and looking straight up thinking, ' are you f-ing kidding me...' driving for another hour or so plowing snow and following a single pickup track no real road to speak of, thinking that I'm totally screwed and trying to find a place to turn around and then seeing the fabled survey lathe.
Man that was a long night

Apologies to the OP for derailing your thread.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How old are you? If you're young enough get into something else!
There is money to be made if you get into hauling logs, low bedding etc but very little money to be made if you want to be one of those highway truckers. Highway trucking is for hindus that wear shorts and sandals year round and have no idea how to throw on a set of chains.

Well thats an upgrade from being called pakis haha

Top Bottom