Truck Diff Question Rockwell RT40

barleyfarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to use my truck today and put it in gear and it loaded up and bang!Truck will move with diff lock but diff lock off you can turn driveshaft by hand and it won't move!What would have snapped and can I limp it down the highway to a shop?Basically I have to make 3 corners or would it tear more up and should say screw it and have it hauled!Truck is a 96 volvo with 475 cat 15 speed direct eaton and rockwell rt 40-1 diffs!

canadiancon

Reaction score
Went to use my truck today and put it in gear and it loaded up and bang!Truck will move with diff lock but diff lock off you can turn driveshaft by hand and it won't move!What would have snapped and can I limp it down the highway to a shop?Basically I have to make 3 corners or would it tear more up and should say screw it and have it hauled!Truck is a 96 volvo with 475 cat 15 speed direct eaton and rockwell rt 40-1 diffs!

Sounds like maybe you broke an axle, and the locker will lock both sides together allowing you to drive, but only one side will be doing the driving, depending on what's floating around in the oil for broken parts you could do some more damage, might be cheaper in the end to get her towed, instead of risking a pinion or ring gear.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep chances are you broke an axle. You could remove and and try to get all the pieces out them cap the end to limp it in but risk doing more damage. Tow it.

mlipiec

Reaction score
Do you engage the wheel lock(s) or interaxle lock? I would have to agree with axle shaft from the sounds of it but I would pull them all out just to check (quick and easy with either 15/16" or 1 1/8" socket and a sledgehammer)

powder junkie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like axle. U can loosen nuts on axle cap and take sledgehammer, hit center of cap till the little tapered cones on studs pop loose (nuts on couple threads so cones dont fly off) nd pull axles out. You'll see if it snapped. If so then remove and u can use a long bar from opposite side to push broen peice out. Usually breaks in middle or close to cap. Change diff oil, couple hundred bucks for an axle, new gasket or silcone and should be good to go. If u didnt drive to far then bearings should still be good.

Top Bottom