Trouble Walker Evan Shocks?

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Just wondering if anyone else has lost the gas out of their walker evan shocks on the dragons. Mine went flat this wknd. :mad: hard to ride down and no I didn`t hit anything or do any big drops.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Apparently I have hit a rock or stump and scored the cylinders, don`t remember that happening.:confused: Gas leaks out and the shocks go flat and saggy Shocks have to be sent to Edmonton to be recharged.

xxx

Reaction score
just noticed mine right side lost all air no scratches or nicks on shaft dealer already very standoff ish and I never even tookm it in yet. just called him

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine had his break the shaft in Valemount last weekend. It ended up folding the cylinder in half. Needless to say it was a bit of a rodeo ride for him coming down the trail to the parking lot:)

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I read a post on another forum where the person figured that a rock hit his shocks while it was on the trailer going down the highway. Didn't look like much of a nick but lost pressure as well. Without an enclosed, might want to consider shock covers for trailering.

Superford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The dragons came with a foam covers that you were suposed to install when trailering to eliminate pitting on the shafts. I put shock covers over mine and they seem to be working fine.

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Figured out what had happened, I`m in the bush a lot (living up to my name Pres. Bush) and not on purpose:eek: and I know when I hit trees. I`ve done some five point landings on my spare tire in the back to the truck.:D Cost $75 for each shock to be recharged and they put extra in. I see the 09`s have springs around the shocks.

nathan

Reaction score
same here have ha them recharged 3 times. have had new seals put in also. Polaris sayus its me...... Huh. most of my buddies are doing it as well. Also it was eating belts, went trough 3 dealership blamed it on me.. took it to Mountian Magic and oh wo to my surprise missing two bolts out of the primary... THIS WAS ALL UNDER 250MILES.. Needless to say I have a new 1000 cat on its way.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I completely sheared-off my right suspension (dont ask..) and the Walker Evans shock as well sheared off at the top leaving it in 2 pieces. Pink oil from inside the shock was all over the place!

Noticing the thickness of the upper walls of the shock arent that thick; leading me to believe mac900's theory that if a big enough rock did hit the side of the shock i think it would easily puncture.

I did notice a little difference in height when I got my parts and installed which was expected as it was a new shock. But after 200 miles it is now broken in and the same.

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have the WE shocks that come on the stock dragons, have them updated to the 09 specs, there is a big difference in the valving and I think they change out the valving and pistons. Air shocks are the only ones with piggy backs by the way

xxx

Reaction score
this still does not solve the soft shock problem
dipite whatthe new specs say the shafts are the same as last year according to W.E.

Last edited:

Rob1334

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new '09 shocks are a lot different than what the '07-'08's were setup to.

Polaris and Walker Evans have been working very close in the new setup. Aftermarket companies such as Fastrax and Carl's have been setting these shocks up differently for the past two years, and WE and Polaris have been monitoring their setups closely. With the fixes I stated earlier, they increased the pressure from I believe 215 to 225 on them, and were tested like this in the demo '09 sleds this spring.

As for pressure and some of the shocks blowing seals, I found this out the hard way too. This has not been fixed yet, but the oil sued in the shock is a 5w. When it was really cold when I was riding I had one go out becuase the oil gummed up and couldn't redistribute itself in the shock on a landing. The fix for this still needs to be addressed, but SLP makes a lighter oil in the 2-3w range. When you have them rebuilt next time, switch to this and will at least help in that aspect.

xxx

Reaction score
Thats all good info but until they solve the shalft problem itself these shocks will always be a sore spot with dragon rmk riders

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
I`m getting rid of the W/E`s sick of the hassle, gotta drive 3 hrs. to see a dealer. Ride her on rough trails and the back shock goes flat. Have blown a front one twice now on trails and other time landing on the spare tire in the back of my truck. With the money I have spent fixing them I could have bought a really good replacement set by now. :rant:
I have just waited 6 wks. for the stock shocks that are on the 08/09 RMK`s and was told today I`ll be waiting for another 6 wks. A buddy is lending me his off his 05/900 for now, they are the ones on the anniversary snow check model to shut me up. What are you guys replacing the W/E`s with when you just can`t take it anymore like me.

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You put a set of ZBROZ X1 shocks on......problem solved....

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1137.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

IMG_1135.jpg

Powder Puff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledrevelstoke.com
Thanks BidDawg for getting me on the snow again. Love the shocks, usually after a day of riding my wrists are sore, not this time. :d I should have got a pic. Sat. supposed to go back up soon to take down the Caribou Closure signs this. wk. I`ll get some then.
Thanks again.

Top Bottom