Trouble tuning my Turbo!

Dallyz turboed 670

Reaction score
Needing some advise please,i purchased this 670 with an aerocharger turbo,the fella ran it at 50/1 with av gas,when i brought it home i started to run 111 v/p race fuel and richenened the jetting,plus wet to 40/1 as a result i am getting egt numbers very quickly to 1250 degrees,Jus took it for a ride and i started backfiring closer to top end when i cracked the throttle,problem number 2 this is a 96 summit motor and it has a oil container to feed the rotery gear and such,well i went for a quick ride and it swallowed the whole jug of oil,so i came back to the garage and put more oil in the jug and watched it go down as well ,there are no leaks externally,so where is it going,when i fired it up it smoked a heck of alott,never did before,can i please have some help!Thank you!Also found crankcase fitting where you would have stock fuel pump hooked to,the the rubber nipple had fallen off,wich has vacuum,has this something to do with the oil that dissapeared

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Needing some advise please,i purchased this 670 with an aerocharger turbo,the fella ran it at 50/1 with av gas,when i brought it home i started to run 111 v/p race fuel and richenened the jetting,plus wet to 40/1 as a result i am getting egt numbers very quickly to 1250 degrees,Jus took it for a ride and i started backfiring closer to top end when i cracked the throttle,problem number 2 this is a 96 summit motor and it has a oil container to feed the rotery gear and such,well i went for a quick ride and it swallowed the whole jug of oil,so i came back to the garage and put more oil in the jug and watched it go down as well ,there are no leaks externally,so where is it going,when i fired it up it smoked a heck of alott,never did before,can i please have some help!Thank you!Also found crankcase fitting where you would have stock fuel pump hooked to,the the rubber nipple had fallen off,wich has vacuum,has this something to do with the oil that dissapeared

Inner crank seal has blown if you are losing the oil into the motor. Between the two inner bearings there is a cavity where the oil sits and baths the two bearings, normally the oil doesn't go anywhere until you blow a crank seal then it leaks into the crankcase on either side and gets burnt (which is why its smoking so much).

Probably blew the nipple for the fuel pump off when it backfired (pressured the crankcase) not sure if the backfire wrecked the seal or if the lack of vacuum in the crankcase would cause the seal to come out too. Either way you're going to be replacing a bearing seal unless you ran it too long without oil, then you're going to be replacing the crank bearings as well.

Backfired because it was too rich or too lean likely.

INSTGUY

Reaction score
this is the worst combination #1-turbo and carb...your last sentence is probably one of your issues, but at 40-1 and 1250 you are way too rich, there is no way around this install...upgrading to fuel inj is nearly impossible...I would take it back and ask for a refund!!

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Quite possibly that nipple being unplugged may very well have caused your back fire and lean running conditions, did the machine seem to idle high?? As far as your losing oil problem goes mod man is right, if its not leaking externally the only other place for it to go is out the rotary shaft seals, have you checked your coolant to see if the oil has ended up in there?? And fuel injection on a 670 hmm not impossible;)

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seeing your in Kamloops talk to Trevor at Mac's Machine in Sicamous, I've seen a couple of these 670 turbo's in his shop, he may be able to help.

git r done

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would just sell it because i had a 99 summit and all it did was cause problems. but now i have a cat so life is good::):):):):):):):):)

brycter

Reaction score
Website
www.turboboyz.com
this is the worst combination #1-turbo and carb...

this is not the problem. we have a ton of carb sled working very very good!!

there is alot of questions to be asked here. yes you probably have a internal seal leak, yes if the crank case nipple is open you get a super lean reading,

what elevation was you at? Are you different than the guy you bought it from? What temp outside? It sounds to me like you had a lean pop because the power jets were not open enough on top end.

What was your fuel pressure doing was it riding 1-1 with the boost?
What is your compression?
what turbo?
Does it run a hobb swith with stock fuel pump and electric?
Is your fuel filter plugged?

we can help you if you need give us a call
Turbo performance Welcome to Turbo Performance!

Just some little kinks stay with it. It will be the best learning or your life. :d

Top Bottom