Trouble starting my machine

Catman1961

Reaction score
2008 T-500 Cat. Electric start not working. Starting motor spins but not engaging into the flywheel. Need help.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2008 T-500 Cat. Electric start not working. Starting motor spins but not engaging into the flywheel. Need help.

If your starter spins when the starter button is pushed and not engaging the ring gear then the starter drive is pooched.
If your saying that you can turn the starter by hand but it will not start then ya the battery might done.

DeNytroguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You mean motor spins when you push the button, but it is not getting transfered to the engine? Chances are the bendix is gone on yours- meaning the splines on starter shaft don´t connect with flywheel!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those AC flex starter shafts are known for that. Went through 3 of them on my daughters M7 before I gave up. You can try lubricating the bendix gear on the end of the flex shaft. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. If it ends up only partially extending into the ring gear it'll end up taking the teeth off that too.

Top Bottom