Triple car garage

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i am in the process of buying a house, and currently it has no garage. Just wondering for the the ppl out there, how big is your triple and is it large enough. just toying with the idea as the lot is 40ft wide, so it can support something this big. Mayby around a 24x32. My last house had a 26x26 double and it was great.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My "new " house has a triple. Way too small. I can deal with the width ok, but the depth is no where enough. Fine if you have a jeep or small car but I cant work on my truck in there with the door closed. My advice is to go as big as they will allow you and dont look back. Also one thing I do have that is fricken awesome is a sink with hot and cold water plus a sump with drain in it. Except for the size I love my garage. Being attached is a huge plus. I actually want to go work in there.

Ozzy421

Reaction score
bigger is better, go as big as you can, noone ever said i wish my garage/shop was 10 feet smaller....

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bigger is better, go as big as you can, noone ever said i wish my garage/shop was 10 feet smaller....

Can't argue that logic. I recommend at least a 10 foot ceiling, not a great deal more expensive and oh so much more headroom.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For a quad cab short box truck I find 28 feet to be comfortable to work front or back. My current garage is 18x22 and it sucks. Width is ok to work on vehicles, but length can only get around one side.

But as said go as big as possible, won't regret it.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my garage is 26x28 with a 7x8 porch on it,the porch is nice for the roll cabinet and work bench,i also have 10.5 foot walls which is nice,with the extra height i leave the sleds on the sled deck and still can park in the garage.i recomend the extra height. when i built mine i also put a one inch slope on the floor so water runs out the garage door,i really like this but it is alot harder to build your walls

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YES height makes a huge difference too. Wish my garage was about 10 feet higher too!! And two double doors instead of three singles!!

machinehead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Built our house with a 24 x 30 foot garage. It has a one 16' door, and I screwed up and put an 8' foot wide second door. This door should have been 9' wide. Good for wifes smaller car, not feasible for larger vehicle. Basically, this works out to a 2-1/2 car garage.
Garage can never be deep enough ! 24' should be the minimum. Wish I went 26' like Brian. The floor drain in middle was the best decision I made, as wild 1 stated.
Hot and cold water supply is handy as well, and use it more than I thought. Not sure if water supply is cost effective in a detached.
The 10' ceiling is great too, do it if you can.

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with the height and length comments, i went with a "super" double. Only 24 wide, but 34 deep with 13ft ceilings. It was the best i could do on a standard city lot. Had them include hot and cold water and a floor drain too. No complaints so far, lots of room for two vehicles and large work area up front.

grizzly05

Reaction score
You have to check local bylaws and see how far the bldg. has to be off the property line.Build the garage as large as the lot and bylaws will allow. I like three ,four and five car garages.My present garage is 22by 30 on one bay and 10 by 40 on the other bay and still way to small.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep, go as big as the town bylaws will allow. I had permits to go with a 30'x40' with 14' walls. I ended up knocking it down to 30'x36' with 12' walls so I didn't eat up too much of my backyard and dwarfing my neighbors houses....worst mistake I could have made. It gets small inside pretty quick when you start filling it up with quads and sleds and such.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A three car on a 40 ft lot?? Are you going to have ladders to get over the garage to get in house? Gunna look a little funny won't it.... Nothing but garage doors... With a mail box hanging on it! A 24 deep is ok I think as long as you have nothing in front ie bench/shelving etc. mine is 44 across the back with a 8 foot shed on the end of that! I went as wide as I could. But mines in the back.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
goes as big as can, I have a 35x45 shop, a 26 x 30 attached and a 22x24 shed wish shop was 40 x 60 with door on 40 foot wall. Have 14 foot ceiling, can hang canopy from ceil and still drive under it.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 32 x 44 10 ' high. It works great...........One suggestion though. I put a 6 foot roll up on the side of my garage.It really sucks to move vehicles,projects,etc just to get the quad,mower or whatever out of the shop. Put a roll up door at the opposite end/right angle to your main door,it makes life easier..................

Attachments

• House pics July 20 2011 006.jpg
    House pics July 20 2011 006.jpg
    257.2 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would also put the largest garage up that you can. I have a three car garage, and by the time all my tools / welder, and toys are in it, I've no room to park my or my wife's truck in it. Probably doesn't help I always have a project on the go...

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep build as big as they'll let you !! You can never have to much garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk while working extremely hard

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, go as big as the town bylaws will allow. I had permits to go with a 30'x40' with 14' walls. I ended up knocking it down to 30'x36' with 12' walls so I didn't eat up too much of my backyard and dwarfing my neighbors houses....worst mistake I could have made. It gets small inside pretty quick when you start filling it up with quads and sleds and such.

I can't see that garage getting small, you just have to build a vertical stacking system in there now Todd!

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't see that garage getting small, you just have to build a vertical stacking system in there now Todd!

thats what i want to do with the quads to save room but my ceiling is to low me thinks

anyone ever just bring in cold water into a detached and used a tankless hot water heater for the hot water? im thinking of doing that this summer

rmk 800 144

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So i am in the process of buying a house, and currently it has no garage. Just wondering for the the ppl out there, how big is your triple and is it large enough. just toying with the idea as the lot is 40ft wide, so it can support something this big. Mayby around a 24x32. My last house had a 26x26 double and it was great.

I don't know what toys you have boat, sleds, quads but I would go 3 car wide or 3 1/2 wide and the two spots long and the third spot make it extra long so you could put your stuff in the back and stuff in the front then two spots for parking your cars..
Just an idea!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our lot is 55 wide with a 45 building pocket. I managed a 1000 square foot attached garage. The garage goes down the side of the house a ways.

Top Bottom