Travel Trailer a good idea?

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are having the debate on getting rid of the 40 foot toy hauler and getting something more family friendly. More usuable space and also bunk beds. The toy hauler looks big, but it really isnt. We got it 3 years ago when it worked for 2 adults, but now things have changed lol.
So do we trade it in and lose a ch!t load of dollars or keep it and put bunks in the back.
The pros are ...we can pack the quads, it has tons of storage room and love the high ceilings.
The cons are.... it is SO heavy and big we are limited to areas where we can go, (for example...there is only one gas station between here and Salmon Arm that we can actually get into) there is no tub for the kids, there are no bunks (kids are babies still) Having to clean out the back is a pain in the ass.
Do we go with a travel trailer or a fifth wheel?
Pros to a TT is theres a tub, way lighter, easier to manuver and can go anywhere, slide out room with bunks and a solid door to close off to kids room, can still take the quads with a sled deck. The cons are the very low ceilings and again hardly any storage.
Pros to a 5th is same TT but the head room and storage is way better than the TT, but the cons are that we would have to take 2 vehicles when going to BC if taking the quads.
So you see the dilema.....lol.
Not asking you to make up my mind for me lol....just any pros, cons and advise from personal experience would be great. I would rather not make the same mistake again :)
Thanks!!
Oh and if you know of any that I should be going to look at.
So far I have looked at about 20 TT and the only ones that work so far are:
The Cougar 307 BHS, Gulf Stream Conquest 32 TBR and theTravelaire TT356. None of which are that great but at least they have tubs and the slide out room with bunks.
I think I'm having issues going to a TT maybe lol. I need higher ceilings!! We are tall people!
Thanks again!!! :)

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Motor home. We to did the toy hauler and the same thing as you no room inside, lot of room for the toys. Then we did the travel trailer and no room for the toys, put a deck on the truck and everything combined was very heavy.

So we went to a 31 foot motor home and pull the trailer with the quads on it, can pull a vehicle behind it also so when you get to where your going you can unhook and off you go without having to drive the motor home. Even take the motor home hunting.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We opted for a travel trailer for the room with the jack and jill bunks for my two girls. The only downfall is I can't tow my quad trailer behind it and usually have to camp close if I want to also do quading.

5th wheel would enable you to tow a trailer behind if you need be. But we go camping alot more than we do quading so my wanted the room and is is really nice. Ours is a 29ft Jayco and am glad we purchased it.

I noticed in your post about pulling a trailer behind the TT, not allowed in BC, has to be a 5th wheel,.. even then not even sure truck/TT/traileris allowed in AB.

mudbug

Reaction score
Here's a thought go to and take a look at there Embassy 2009 a35fb model. yes it is a motor home comes with two slides master bedroom and yes bunks, comes with every thing you need you can get one for about $125000 new.
P.S
Lots of head room !!! :):):):):

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a thought go to and take a look at there Embassy 2009 a35fb model. yes it is a motor home comes with two slides master bedroom and yes bunks, comes with every thing you need you can get one for about $125000 new.
P.S
Lots of head room !!! :):):):):

lol Yes that is gorgeous thats for sure!!

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
We looked at this at Woody's in Calgary awhile back and it was worth $150,000 with a gas engine. The diesel was around the 180 mark.To small for my tribe cause there is 5 of us. I use cardlocks (PetroPass, Co-op, Shell, And UFA) for fueling and my unit is 55' long so I know how hard it can be getting fuel. When looking at TTs with hard wall or tin siding, remember that ones with tin are replacable sections when damaged. Hard wall you need to do fiberglass work. This can get very expensive depending on the damage.

Attachments

• 082308 038.jpg
    082308 038.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 082308 040.jpg
    082308 040.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 082308 041.jpg
    082308 041.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 46

Cameo

Reaction score
How about a budget minded solution?
I have a 24 foot class C motor home, with bunks, sleeps 6, tub/shower, lots of new upgrades, and storage, lots of power to tow a trailer full of toys, and it runs on propane so cheap on fuel.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you need to take all the comforts of home out camping you might as well just stay home.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
If you need to take all the comforts of home out camping you might as well just stay home.

I would have agreed with you 100% 10 years ago......then come the kids, although some may not consider going away in some of these units "camping" some of the ammenities are nice when dealing with young children. Is it all necessary? nope, but to each thier own I left the tenting when my kids were 7 & 2.....moved into a 1968 aristocrat 16' trailer.....it had all we "needed" but a microwave is sure handy when warming formula, and a hot water heater is a bonus, Just sayin...........

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Ah nothing like taking all your toys with you .... we have the 5th wheel option and I pull a small 17ft. trailer behind it with the quads or our 20ft. boat if its water time!!! :beer::d:beer:
Only other option I would consider is a camper with slides!

mudbug

Reaction score
Here's another thought if you decide to go with a motor home take a look in quartsite Arizona, I know its a fair drive but you can get a 200,000 plus motor home for about 50,000 and up. My nieghbour just picked up diesel pusher with slides full load etc with 8000 miles on it for 50 grand and its only 4 years old beautiful machine. :)

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
We use a toy hauler and a deck.Works great for us.Got the queen bunks in the garage,so could sleep 10 if we had to.We take 4 machines with one unit.No b-train or second truck/trailer.

Attachments

• mike270412-albums-vega-may-long-weekend-08-picture716t-quadding-may-long-2008-001.jpg
    mike270412-albums-vega-may-long-weekend-08-picture716t-quadding-may-long-2008-001.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 150

Emmaa

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are definitly getting rid of the toy hauler.
The truck has a 6 inch lift so getting another fifth wheel is just as painful as the one we already have
Definitly not going with a motorhome
It looks like its going to be a 34 foot TT with slide out bunk room and living area. Hopefully we can find one with 3 slides, but so far its just the 2.
So far all we have seen that has 2 slides, a tub, 7 foot ceilings and a solid door to the bunks is the North Country and the Cougar.
Anyone have either of these with pros n cons? Or another suggestion we should look at in the TT?

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A deck and travel trailer worked for us until my girls got into sledding. Now it's either deck and toyhauler or hotels (to get 4 sleds out). Sounds like this may be a few years of for your family but it's coming!

With a 6" lift on the truck I'd go with a 12ft ramp; Marathon makes a telescopic 12ft. Some of the other manufacturors may as well.

Good Luck,

Shawn.

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You could also look at the Wolfpack holiday trailers they have a nice range of smaller toy haulers. They have a 10' by 8' open deck on the front and can sleep 6 in the 18' holiday trailer they also have a full bath. They sit up high so you can get them in every where. They are like a holiday trailer mounted on a deck over flat deck also 1/2 to towable.

Top Bottom