transporting av gas

Bosshog

Reaction score
Hi whats the best way to transport av gas in enclose trailer can a guy use 45 gallon barrel or does it have to be in a slip tank

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think there is certain amount in litres/gallons where you can transport it willy nilly below, and above it has to be a proper container with hazard signs. Something like that anyways.

samsquatch47

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.powermerchants.ca
Under 450L you don't have to have placards I believe, but look up TDG regs just to be sure. It has to be tied down inside your trailer, that I know.
They'll fine you if pulled over and a barrel isn't tied down. AV gas is called 100LL which is "100 octane Low Lead"

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is copied from the Transport Canada website :

Question: How many jerricans of gasoline may I transport in my private vehicle?

Answer: There is an exemption called “150 kg Gross Mass Exemption” that allows you to transport a gross mass of up to 150 kg of gasoline. When using this exemption, the weight of the container and the gasoline may NOT exceed 30 kg. A typical 25 L jerrican of gasoline would most likely weigh less than that. If each jerrican weighed 25 kg, then you could transport up to 6 jerricans (e.g. 25 kg x 6 = 150 kg).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDl

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Answer: The “150 kg gross mass exemption” will exempt a person from most parts of the Transportation of Dangerous Goods (TDG) Regulations if they meet all exemption conditions. It is the most commonly used exemption under the TDG Regulations. In fact, most people use this exemption without even knowing it. You use it when you bring small amounts of dangerous goods such as gasoline, propane, paint, etc. home from the place of purchase.

This exemption can only be used if the dangerous goods are available to the general public. In addition, the dangerous good must be transported by the user/purchaser or by a retailer to or from a user/purchaser. This means that carriers, who are not the retailer, cannot use this exemption.

Since you may not transport all dangerous goods under this exemption, it is important to check subsection 1.15(2) first. It will list the products that CANNOT be transported under this exemption.

Below are some key points to remember:

The total gross mass of all dangerous goods (i.e. oxygen, propane, gasoline, etc) must not be greater than 150 kg. “Gross mass” includes the weight of the container and all of its contents.
The dangerous goods must be packed in containers that weigh 30 kg or less (except for gases – see below).
The dangerous goods must be available to the general public and transported by the user/purchaser or by a retailer to or from a user/purchaser.
The containers must be designed not to leak under normal conditions of transport.
You must not combine this exemption with:
exemptions in sections 1.16, 1.21 and 1.22, or
With a shipment of dangerous goods that requires a shipping document (i.e. a fully regulated shipment).

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for finding that HV.

What are the OP's options for transporting a barrel of av gas? Clearly it is over 30kg gross container weight so the exemption doesn't apply. Someone said it has to be tied down, but what about WHMIS documents, placards on outside of vehicle, fire extinguishers?

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a little more info. Fuel is a class 3 and you cannot transport it in a used drum, according to the section below :

Classes 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 and 9 Dangerous Goods
5.12 Small Means of Containment
(1) A person must not handle, offer for transport or transport dangerous goods included in Class 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 or 9 in a small means of containment unless it is a UN standardized means of containment that is selected and used in accordance with sections 2, 3 and 12 of CGSB-43.146 or a means of containment that is selected and used in accordance with sections 2 and 3 and Part 2 of TP14850.
SOR/2014-152

(2) A person must not reuse a steel or plastic drum with a capacity greater than or equal to 150 L to handle, offer for transport or transport dangerous goods that are liquid and are included in Class 3, 4, 5, 6.1, 8 or 9 unless
SOR/2011-60

(a) for a steel drum, the requirements for the reconditioning, remanufacturing and repair in Part II of CGSB-43.126 are complied with and the drum reconditioning, remanufacturing and repair facility is registered with Transport Canada in accordance with the requirements of Appendix A of CGSB-43.126; or
SOR/2011-60

(b) for a plastic drum, the requirements for the reconditioning, remanufacturing and repair in Part III of CGSB-43.126 are complied with and the drum reconditioning, remanufacturing and repair facility is registered with Transport Canada in accordance with the requirements of Appendix A of CGSB-43.126.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's interesting. The bulk plant fills my steel drum with marked premium a couple times a year for me and I haul it home in the back of my truck. Guess I'll have to claim ignorance if they ever stop me. Not a stretch really. :headscratch3:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haul 45 gallon drum regularly in trailer, had dot look in it as well as both sides at border crossing. No one has ever cared. Dot was surprised how much race gas sleds go through.

Top Bottom