"TransforM8ion"?

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First off....Ok SLP...you make cool stuff, but "TransforM8ion"? that's gay :friends:

Anyways, aside from the name this seems like a decent kit and I'm just about ready to slap down the $1000 american for it to make my 2007 M8 into a "Mountain Crushing Machine" (again? c'mon SLP...bad day in the creative description dept??)

...but before i do i'd like to hear from someone who has done this...they seem to be pushing the entire kit...i know the exhaust kit works well, but curious if the rest of it works well enough in conjunction (without a fuel controller) to justify the extra cash...

TransforM8ion

SLP Y-Pipe
SLP Single Pipe
SLP Silencer
SLP Intake
V-Force Reeds
40/36 Helix (Secondary)

SLP Kit Webpage
Arctic Cat - 2007-09 M8/Crossfire 800/Crossfire R Single Pipe Kit - Starting Line Products

SLP Installation Instructions - (additional info in case someone else is interested in doing this too)
http://www.slp.cc/instsheets/09-872.pdf

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will one more the question... Do you /should you run some sort of boondocker with this? What about at 6-9000 feet?

And is there anyone local that does sell this set up?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will one more the question... Do you /should you run some sort of boondocker with this? What about at 6-9000 feet?

And is there anyone local that does sell this set up?

I am running the SLP pipe set, SLP intake, Boyesen reeds. I needed a boondocker box for the elevation I ride ( 6-9000'). It runs a bit too hot in the midrange without one for my liking. I purchased my setup from 2koolperformance - look em up on the web, it is a mail order house out of Ontario. While you are at it, pick up a set of Cutler Adjustable weights and an RKT torsional secondary conversion - the difference in how the sled performs is night and day.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am running the SLP pipe set, SLP intake, Boyesen reeds. I needed a boondocker box for the elevation I ride ( 6-9000'). It runs a bit too hot in the midrange without one for my liking. I purchased my setup from 2koolperformance - look em up on the web, it is a mail order house out of Ontario. While you are at it, pick up a set of Cutler Adjustable weights and an RKT torsional secondary conversion - the difference in how the sled performs is night and day.

Was it worth the cash?

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was it worth the cash?

I think it was worth the money. SLP makes good product, RKT also makes good stuff - but be aware that NO bolt on parts are simply bolt on - some tuning is required to make a package work to its full potential.

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The SLP site says that with their Stage 2 kit that it doesn't need a fuel controller...i emailed them to be sure and they confirmed no controller is required at any elevation...the stock ECU has enough range to compensate for the changes....maybe i'm being a bit naive...but i really want to beleive SLP on this one...they have a good track record so i have no reason not to...

here's an excerpt from the email that Dustin at SLP sent me:

-The combination of parts you would like to run WILL NOT require a fuel controller at any elevation including sea level.

-The exhaust kit does require some clutch modifications which we outline on our web site. [ http://www.slp.cc/instsheets/09-872.pdf ]Click here for the link.

If "oneoldfart" says that his was running hot, then perhaps some additional venting may help if you're not using a controller...i know that i would like to stay away from a controller if i can...little nervous about setting them wrong and having a bigger issue...

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The SLP site says that with their Stage 2 kit that it doesn't need a fuel controller...i emailed them to be sure and they confirmed no controller is required at any elevation...the stock ECU has enough range to compensate for the changes....maybe i'm being a bit naive...but i really want to beleive SLP on this one...they have a good track record so i have no reason not to...

here's an excerpt from the email that Dustin at SLP sent me:

-The combination of parts you would like to run WILL NOT require a fuel controller at any elevation including sea level.

-The exhaust kit does require some clutch modifications which we outline on our web site. [ http://www.slp.cc/instsheets/09-872.pdf ]Click here for the link.

If "oneoldfart" says that his was running hot, then perhaps some additional venting may help if you're not using a controller...i know that i would like to stay away from a controller if i can...little nervous about setting them wrong and having a bigger issue...
As for your question, my wife's M8 is very well vented - side panels, and additional vents on the front and rear of the hood. I purchased this setup before all testing was done, and I've noted that plug color, piston wash, and EGT readings all verified a lean condition before the power valves open - this combo was also run with an RKT 13.6:1
compression head. Please bear in mind that the type of snow we have in the B.C. mountains is a heavier, wetter snow than what falls south of the border, so the extra load is noticed on clutching and engine performance. If you do not want to run a controller, don't. It isn't my sled. I'm simply sharing my experiences with you - I'm not in business selling sled parts. Incidentally, ask around to those who used SLP's numbers for the 07-07 M1000's - see how close they were to gospel. The fact of the matter is that no two engines are built excactly the same - if they were Cat wouldn't have three different ECM's. Have a nice day.

Last edited:

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply & info "oneoldfart"...appreciated...i don't know much about this and trying to learn before i make a decision on which route to go...i don't want to do damage, but i do want to try and get a bit more out of the old girl...i've been riding for about 5 yrs but this is my first time trying to modify...most everyone else i ride with ride ski-doo's so they're not much help...

do you think that the compression heads made much of a difference for the heat that was generated by the engine? do you think without those it would run cool enough not to require a controller?

i was quoting SLP when i said no controller required...sounds like your machine was set up close to what they are talking about except for the heads...i know on their website the next level up is the Stage 3...on their site they descibe that also involves "Performance Edition Porting" and "and a modification to the stock head"....and they say a controller is required...

again, don't know alot about it, just trying to learn so i don't wreck my ride
Thanks again for your input

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may get away without a controller with the stock head, but read your plugs and piston wash, may be an idea to run EGT's of some sort. Better idea - run the EGT's on the stock pipe to establish temps, then install the SLP setup and run the probes in the same spot.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You may get away without a controller with the stock head, but read your plugs and piston wash, may be an idea to run EGT's of some sort. Better idea - run the EGT's on the stock pipe to establish temps, then install the SLP setup and run the probes in the same spot.

This sounds like a really smart way to go. Start from the bottom and work your way up, not the go big or go home thinking. Get a true base for the sled. Thanks

Smokeshow

Reaction score
I installed the SLP pipe kit Nov. 19, 2009, took about 4 hours (could have done in 2 easily of it wasn't for the beer). As "oneoldfart" said nothing is 'bolt on'. A few notes they don't include in the directions are that you'll need a hack saw to chop an allan key (6mm I think) to tighten the two inside Y-pipe bolts, not much clearance in there. On a side note you can use pliers or vice grips to remove the stock stud bolts but you kinda freak out a little on the first one! You need to re-use the donut gaskets that come out of the stock pipe for connections between y-pipe to pipe and then pipe to silencer. Have some copper gasket maker (hi temp) or hi temp silicone for these connections as they will leak exhaust back under the hood if not sealed up proper. Other than that directions are good. Took it for 100 km test run on Nov. 21, kit runs good, sounds close to stock but much 'beefier'. This will not turn an 8 into a rocket sled on rails but it does give you that little bit extra for times when you wish you had it, much easier to hang the skis on command. Plugs are still good, not oily but not white either. My guy tells me a fuel controller is required more for lower elevations as he was down around 1200' with same setup and it started to lean out a touch but has never had a problem running 2500' to 9000'. All that said a pyro and extra vents will be my next project, simple way to catch a meltdown before it happens. Noticed a little hesitation off idle but snow was so deep hard to tell, will probably have some clutching to do as it indicates in the directions but am going to an RKT Secondary so will wait to see how that plays out before attempting to tune. All in all the setup looks good under the hood and the smile it leaves is well worth the price tag, cheers.

Smokeshow

Reaction score
To follow up after 100 km on this kit I finally unloaded today and brought the machine into my garage, opened the hood and noticed some oily spray around the y-pipe and on the inside of the hood, noticeably leaking around the y-pipe to cylinder join. Called SLP and they recommended reusing the stock crush gasket (thought this was a one use gasket and did not re-install as instructions made no mention) and sealing with high temp gasket maker on both sides after thoroughly cleaning. Would have been nice to include this in the instructions but it should come off much quicker than the original install, will try to take some pics!

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have set up our own performance kits for the Cat sleds that work really great!

SLP pipe kit, MBRP can, Boyesen Rage Cage, 2.5 degree timing key, Dalton 50/38 helix, Speedwerx Air Horn and clutch weights (depending on where you ride and your weight)

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
broke down and ordered the complete Stage 2 kit directly from SLP today...should be here next weekend...installed and ready to test on the pre-christmas run to revy...

...and like i read on someone's signature here....if the wife asks...it cost about $20 ;)

Smokeshow

Reaction score
Not the best of pictures as I used my cell phone but should give you an idea of how it will look, best of luck with the install!

Attachments

• IMG00096.jpg
    IMG00096.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 64

Sledpiggy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few notes they don't include in the directions are that you'll need a hack saw to chop an allan key (6mm I think) to tighten the two inside Y-pipe bolts, not much clearance in there. .

I just installed my pipe kit too and did the exact same thing! I also found the bolts they sent with the kit were super hard to screw in so we bought extras that went in smoother... I love the new kit, I see a huge difference with it. :d

canadian madman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you guys just do the exhaust - or did you do the stage tuning kit with it? my stage 2 should be here by next weekend...just a little excited :)

Top Bottom