Tranfering waypoints to GPS from zip file

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to transfer the the zip file of coordinates from the Whitecourt trail system to my Garmin Oregon. Can't seem to get it directly, is there a program i need in between the download and the transfer? Any help would be appreciated.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
you can't just copy and paste the contents of that zip file to your garmin, I believe you need to transfer it using a program like mapsource

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Email me at brianbeebe@shaw.ca the Zip file to Whitecourt that you have -- I can open and see what you problem is in sending to your GPS

I Use Mapsource from Garmin & OziExplorer with Canada ETOPO & OilTracx maps

You can try this first
Open and save the zip file under your sledding directory - rename the file to Whitecourt
Open mapsource - then in top left corner click "Open File" - then select the file "Whitecourt" that you juct created.
In the left pane on Mapsource you will see MAPs - WAYPOINTS-ROUTES-TRACKS -- select the TRACKS column
Then you sould see the TRACK file "Whitecourt" select the file and right mouse it and select the "Showselected track on map"
The mapsource screen should show you the Whitecourt trails in the screen

If you connect your GPS to the computer - wait 30 seconds for the USB to initilize - then on the tool bar at the top select the GPS symbol for "SEND TO DEVICE" -- the pop up window should indicate your GPS device - if it does not - then click the "Find DEVICE" button in the pop up

Once your GPS is in the scroll window you can select to send your "Waypoints" & "Tracks" to the GPS.
It should say Send Complete if all went well

IN your GPS under TRACKS check to see if the "Whitecourt Track" in listed under tracks
If so select the Whitecourt Track in you GPS and click "Go to map" you should see the tracks on your GPS

If you see the words TRUNCATED - the track is not a full track it stops at 500 track points and you have an incomplete track.

If you have any more questions call me

Last edited:

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brian. I thought I would need an intermediate program. I was trying Easy GPS, I use it for other stuff but it didn't manange the way I needed for my GPS. had this issue a while ago with something else and Mapsource was the solution there too. Guess I'll have get it, seems to be the answer for alot of GPS related needs.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mapsourse come with your GPS when you buy it

If you do not have it you can load mine onto your computer

Then load you tracks to your GPS

Top Bottom