Trailers and Sled decks

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
A big discussion lately I notice is Sled decks and enclosed trailers. I have an enclosed trailer myself, Im sure you all seen in the gallery. I have a 2 place regular trailer I use for Quadding, mostly to pull behind my fifth wheel.
I was in Valmount last year with Barrie (bbtoys) and we left the trailer and trucks below and we decked the sleds up, there is no way I would drive up the road to Keyhole with a truck and enclosed trailer, the deck worked great.

RON

poorman

Reaction score
This is a pet peave(sp) of mine.Its so frustrating watching guys with enclosed trying to go up logging rodes in the spring and end up blocking the entire road for everyone else. we use are decks in the early fall and spring and use the enclosed in between. It would be the ultimate to be able to pull trailer with the deck on and just take the sleds up but I have a shortbox and the deck is to long to have the trailer behind.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the reason I bought a deck...spring riding - that and my trailer got stolen! I hated pulling a trailer as they slow you down, pain to find parking spot, difficult to turn around,...

Course a deck is only good for two sleds so once my kids are old enough for sleddin' I'll end up with a trailer again :(

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
It works really well when you have a group of riders who can share equipment when reqired ot make the best combinations required.
In our group we have one guy that has a 27' covered v-nose and a open two place, summitric with a four place open trialer and a deck and I have a deck and a two place open trailer.
When spring hits we use the decks and two place opens and in the regular season we use the enclosed and the open four place trailers.
Summitric's open four place trailer will work well in the spring as well because it can be disconnected and turned around when required.

Kossle

Reaction score
Anyone tell me where I can go around Edmonton to find an Alum. deck new or used and best prices.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Anyway a deck with an extension and four place enclosed trailer and we have the best of both worlds. Now we just need a place to store the trailer in the mountains between trips.

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a pet peave(sp) of mine.Its so frustrating watching guys with enclosed trying to go up logging rodes in the spring and end up blocking the entire road for everyone else.

You and me both!!!! The only place a 4 place enclosed should be is on the highway and in the parking lot. I get really pissed when I'm headed up the trail and come across one of these morons ( and that's the simple truth of the type of person they are ) stuck or blocking the road and there's still a km or 2 to get to the snow to unload. Not to mention the fact that they just left it all there to screw everyone else and frigged off sledding!!! Maybe a little courtesy is too much to ask for these days and I know common sense isn't too common for alot of guys out there today, but come on wake up!!!!!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You and me both!!!! The only place a 4 place enclosed should be is on the highway and in the parking lot. I get really pissed when I'm headed up the trail and come across one of these morons ( and that's the simple truth of the type of person they are ) stuck or blocking the road and there's still a km or 2 to get to the snow to unload. Not to mention the fact that they just left it all there to screw everyone else and frigged off sledding!!! Maybe a little courtesy is too much to ask for these days and I know common sense isn't too common for alot of guys out there today, but come on wake up!!!!!

ON THE OTHER HAND, HOW MAY TRUCKS WITH DECKS DO YOU SEE PARTWAY UP A TRAIL AND WHATEVER POOR SNOW CONDITIONS IN THE SPRING ARE LEFT, ARE ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED, BECAUSE THE TRUCKS FIGURE THEY CAN TAKE A RUN AND GET TO THE LAST SPOT ON THE TRAIL, SO THEY CAN GET THE PRIMO SNOW FOR THE TRAIL IN:eek:........ JUST SAYIN';) .... EVERY YEAR THERE ARE SOME PUTZ'S WAY UP THE TRAIL(RENSHAW FOR EXAMPLE) AND THE TRAIL IS TORN APART IN LATE SPRING, AND THE TRUCK IS USUALLY PARTIALLY STUCK, BUT THE OWNER IS HAPPY CUZ HE'S AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE AND ALREADY UP SLEDDIN'...... :nono:

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ON THE OTHER HAND, HOW MAY TRUCKS WITH DECKS DO YOU SEE PARTWAY UP A TRAIL AND WHATEVER POOR SNOW CONDITIONS IN THE SPRING ARE LEFT, ARE ABSOLUTELY DESTROYED, BECAUSE THE TRUCKS FIGURE THEY CAN TAKE A RUN AND GET TO THE LAST SPOT ON THE TRAIL, SO THEY CAN GET THE PRIMO SNOW FOR THE TRAIL IN:eek:........ JUST SAYIN';) .... EVERY YEAR THERE ARE SOME PUTZ'S WAY UP THE TRAIL(RENSHAW FOR EXAMPLE) AND THE TRAIL IS TORN APART IN LATE SPRING, AND THE TRUCK IS USUALLY PARTIALLY STUCK, BUT THE OWNER IS HAPPY CUZ HE'S AHEAD OF EVERYONE ELSE AND ALREADY UP SLEDDIN'...... :nono:

See , that I don't have a problem with because chances are I'm parked there and so are a half dozen others with decks and 2 place opens, and there's little chance anyone would have gone farther without chaining up, which there is no need for because your unloading in snow, and by the time you come down off the hill and get back to the truck it's warmed up and melted so much that your glad you drove that far because you didn't get stuck riding down the mud and gravel for a km to get back to your vehicle.

On the other hand the guy with the 4 place enclosed is peed off because he got stuck in the mud trying to get to the snow to unload, so now that he's peed, he might as well make everyone elses day poopie, he just leaves his unit where it is, rides the mud and gravel for a 1/2 km or more, finally gets to the snow, where the trucks with decks have left a couple ruts in the snow and he's not capable enough to stay out of them with his sled so he's being tossed around like a pinball. Then after riding all day, he comes down the trail to discover now the snow has pretty much all melted to where the trucks with decks are and now he has to travel a km or more thru mud and gravel to get back to his stuck enclosed unit which he still needs to get unstuck and turned around. This is when one of the guys with a deck, who was fortunate to get up the trail before enclosed clown showed up to block the road, comes down and discovers if he wants to get back to the house or hotel he's got to help unstuck enclosed clown and get him turned around and on his way.
Spin it whatever way you want, I've seen this more times than I care to, there is no place for an enclosed 4 place on the trail, keep it to the parking lots and we're all happy.

I will agree that there's idiots driving everything, my problem is with the clown that goes up the trail gets stuck or even just parks in the middle of the turn around and leaves it, because he thinks nobody else is going to be there. Pull your head out of your people, when your unloading, make life easy when your done sledding for the day, get your unit unstuck , turned around and parked off to the side before even jumping on the sled to go riding. If your riding there that day, pretty good chance someone else might have the same idea. I know asking for common sense to appear is like asking for a miracle but it sure would be nice if more people used it.
Enough of my ranting.

Last edited by a moderator:

RaspberryNytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
great being able to step inside the enclosed to get changed at the start or end of your day! great to have your clothes hanging dry over night & not stinking up the room & ready to go in the trailer the next morning (not forgotten on the vent in your hotel room). Awsum having all your tools & fuel locked up inside the trailer & a nice warm, dry place to work on the machines if needed!!!
But yup, would still love to have the deck again for those quick day trips !!!:beer:

RN

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
All of the above reasons and. More to going up the trail when muddy is that the trail gets ruined for all. McBride trail now has a gate that should and is closed when neccesary. Trucks going up the trail in the spring cause erosion and ruts that is expensive to fix. Clubs or whoever cant afford to maintain these trails. Yes spring riding has a high fun factor but problems arise from this activity. If its something that you want to do who is left to repair the road? Club,groomer operator,forestry,etc. I can see this going on and trails closed. My thought are if you have to go up spinning and ruining the trail then and for the summer. Gate should be closed and no trucks go up.
Just saying!!

Top Bottom