Trailer Storage/ Mouse deterrents

Switch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well as another winter season approachs and the holiday trailer goes into storage what method do some of you use for mice deterrent. Last season put a wack of bay leaves thruout the trailer and a couple of traps (not baited). Guy at work swore by the bay leaves or was it good luck. Little bastard got in and made a damn mess, trap got him and the bay leaves I believe did nothing. I hear that moth balls are supposed to deter mice anything else??? :confused:

new24stroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Moth balls don't neither does bouce sheets.I've tried them.Mouse traps and rat killer works the best.I have heard that peppermint works.I might try that this year.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Try plugging up all the holes, and spaces around pipes etc., in the trailer with steel wool.... We did that after the first year we got our trailer, and have never had a problem since...... Don't even put mice traps inside anymore.....

mudboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bars of ivory soap. Worked last year and smells good. I still put traps out. I also have the luxury of being able to keep it plugged in all winter, so I also install the ultrasonic mouse devices

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard that cedar wood ( small pieces ) soaked in cedar oil ( found in health food stores ) deters mice.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Bars of ivory soap. Worked last year and smells good. I still put traps out. I also have the luxury of being able to keep it plugged in all winter, so I also install the ultrasonic mouse devices

I did exactly the same!! I put two bars of Ivory soap in the boat and an ultrasonic in the trailer, plugged in all winter not a problem in either.

Trailer is completely plugged and for three years no problem last fall just before winter I caught a little bugger in the trap I have in. (to test for efficacy of my plug job) I could not for the life of me fiqure out where he came in so thats when I plugged in the ultrasonic. No problem since. I now use them everywhere, shop,sheds,trailers ............. no mice!! :beer::d:beer:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have used irsh sring soap shaved up placed on tin pie plates.
Also make sure you have no open holes.
Seems to work.
Smells good too.

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For the last 3 years all I've done was like Summetric said and used steel wool on any open spaces.The biggest thing is not to leave any stuff inside for the little buggers to come in for.Food,tp,blankets and especially pet foods.Even the smell of it in a plastic container makes them curious.Things that have worked for me anyway.Good luck.Bring on the SNOW!

Rubicon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have used irsh sring soap shaved up placed on tin pie plates.
Also make sure you have no open holes.
Seems to work.
Smells good too.

x 2 on the irish spring lads,I put it in the 5th whl, the boat, the shower, the sink... you get the picture.....:rolleyes:

RETODD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.valemountvacationrental.com
Bounce Sheets and bars of soap have kept the little fuggers away from our trailer for 3 years...wife swears on it...plus...trailer smells great int he spring:d:d

Well as another winter season approachs and the holiday trailer goes into storage what method do some of you use for mice deterrent. Last season put a wack of bay leaves thruout the trailer and a couple of traps (not baited). Guy at work swore by the bay leaves or was it good luck. Little bastard got in and made a damn mess, trap got him and the bay leaves I believe did nothing. I hear that moth balls are supposed to deter mice anything else??? :confused:

NoseFirst

Reaction score
Have used steel wool and Irish spring soap for years and havee never had mice in any of 3 trailers I have had (knock on wood). Steel wool must bee streched apart and then apperantly it is like little nails for the mice to walk on and the Irish spring I cut into slices. Put around any entrance or spot you thing they can get into. Hope it works for you....

Shitfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the irish spring thing, little bastards ate it!!.... but it did smell nice in the camper.
Best non chemical trap, 5 gal bucket, beer can with peanut butter, hang the can across the top/opening of the bucket on a coat hanger(kind of like a see-saw). Just need a board or some way for them to get to the top of the bucket, old skateboard for example. They climb up and try to get the pb off the can, and fall in the bucket, I put enough water to drown them in the bucket, if you don't it turns into a bloody battle zone:eek:..nasty little buggers.
Will catch mice for days, so simple and works amazing.
Good luck, kill'em all, lol

bullfrog123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bar bait all over the place is what I use. Fortunately my trailers stay in the back of my shop when not in use, and the ultrasonic repellers are plugged in back there too. Also nothing wrong with having a cat or 2 around;););)

Cumminsnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would need something that would not freeze in winter!

Did the irish spring thing, little bastards ate it!!.... but it did smell nice in the camper.
Best non chemical trap, 5 gal bucket, beer can with peanut butter, hang the can across the top/opening of the bucket on a coat hanger(kind of like a see-saw). Just need a board or some way for them to get to the top of the bucket, old skateboard for example. They climb up and try to get the pb off the can, and fall in the bucket, I put enough water to drown them in the bucket, if you don't it turns into a bloody battle zone:eek:..nasty little buggers.
Will catch mice for days, so simple and works amazing.
Good luck, kill'em all, lol

brew_doo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the ultrasonic deals actually work???? My warehouse at work is crawling with the little rodents right now and was thinking of giving them a try. Right now I am using live traps baited with pb. Getting a few every night and they get to meet their maker in the morning.:d

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Do the ultrasonic deals actually work???? My warehouse at work is crawling with the little rodents right now and was thinking of giving them a try. Right now I am using live traps baited with pb. Getting a few every night and they get to meet their maker in the morning.:d

Absolutely ........... one in the trailer plugged in all year never had a mouse problem. Same with the shop!! :beer::d:beer:

Top Bottom