Trailer Rock Guards

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to either build of buy a rock guard for towing our boat this summer. Does anyone have any experience on what works and what doesn't? Majority of what I read seems to state that the solid flaps bounce a lot of rocks back to the truck or to the ground and don't do a lot to help. Seems as though the brush type of rock guard, or a combination of flaps and brush would work best. Any experience out there?

Thanks!

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use rock tamers and have used them since they came out, my old travel trailer had diamond plate aluminum and I originally had a set of the mustache style rock guards which put dents in the aluminum, after buying the rock tamers I noticed very little additional dents in the aluminum.

The rock guards are a pain to originally setup cause they are to be cut to length with the load on the truck. I think mine are about 1/2”-1” off the ground depending on the load.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brush style hands down. I spent lotsa time doing same thing your doing asking questions and brush style come out on top with long term results or for a boat the trailer nets work well as swell

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I found with my rock tamers is on rough gravel roads the flaps would hit the ground on big suspension cycles and create a **** storm. Brush style absorb the energy. Flaps redirect.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to either build of buy a rock guard for towing our boat this summer. Does anyone have any experience on what works and what doesn't? Majority of what I read seems to state that the solid flaps bounce a lot of rocks back to the truck or to the ground and don't do a lot to help. Seems as though the brush type of rock guard, or a combination of flaps and brush would work best. Any experience out there?

Thanks!
I built mine from 1/8 angle iron, one piece across the top then pieces around the hitch with nuted bolts welded on for tightness

Last edited:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We had the mesh flaps on the sides of the boat but they got damaged in a loading situation, they worked great though and I'd like to get them back on. Always use rock tamers as well. never tried the brushes tho

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have tried rock tamer, brushes, home made have found the best are really good mud flaps skip the rest.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Towtector. Come in various brush lengths and receiver size 2, 2-1/2” also has adjustability in the mount

Pretty happy with mine. Yes it’s pricey but so is what your towing behind you and I hate a beat up trailer

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
65d850681ca7c795183454aafd515d8d.jpg

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If i was doing all over agin, i would have brush style on my truck. Anything on the trailer will catch weeds and lake debis. That has to all be washed off before leaving or suffer consequences and boat check stops.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had rock tamers and sold them and built my own.
Rock tamers , the rocks hit them and go between the bumper and top of tamers.
Build mine so they go into receiver tube under the truck .
Just slide into the receiver frame with a rubber snubber to hold them in. Easy
Works way better .

a4da6c117fae6db1cb5888d94f786590.jpg

5c8bf78e1b52cc94ffd108f97a96c9ce.jpg

Hard to see but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had rock tamers and sold them and built my own.
Rock tamers , the rocks hit them and go between the bumper and top of tamers.
Build mine so they go into receiver tube under the truck .
Just slide into the receiver frame with a rubber snubber to hold them in. Easy
Works way better .

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190418/a4da6c117fae6db1cb5888d94f786590.jpg

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190418/5c8bf78e1b52cc94ffd108f97a96c9ce.jpg

Hard to see but you get the idea.
I like that idea, I might add that into my home made tamers.....like triple protection with my mud flaps

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the brush style, only because snow /slush/mud sticks to them, wrecked a few sets over the years. The best I’ve used (and currently own) is a product called Rockstar. Great coverage, fits both styles of receivers, too. Only thing I would improve is adding a wear strip between the bumper & the existing pads on the unit - that was an easy fix with some 3M tape.

Top Bottom