Trailer insurance

blar

Reaction score
Does anyone have their cargo trailer insured? Picking up my trailer in a couple of weeks and wonder if they even offer insurance.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I have full coverage and runs me like 110.00 per yr, cheap because if you ditch a all allum trailer it is scrap. LOL

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have my sled trailer insured the 26' enclosed and it costs approx $600 year to insure replacement cost. Alot of people think that your vehicle insurance will cover it and all the vehicle insurance pays for is the liability if something were to happen, not the collision replacement or repair. And if you rolled the trailer with sleds in it, they all fall under the individual sled policy's and if you don't carry collision on your sled you will be out of luck. Ask your broker/agent, and if they say your fully covered, ask for it in writing. Ive even heard from some that said all the sleds in the trailer are covered by there truck collision insurance, myself I have never heard of this and how can an insurance company cover a risk that they don't even know what it is? I would always ask for the policy and for the broker/agent to give you this in writing as its the wrong time to find out after an accident.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
holly crap 600.00 for insurance? my 28' is like 180.00 a year. I think you're correct on the whole insurance thing, last fall my father was taking his boat to the dealer, when he was going down a very icey hill with a corner at the bottom, he ended up riding the guardrail before going over the edge. wrote off his truck, trailer, and boat. they told him most people never plate their trailers and that he was lucky he did because if he hadn't, he would not have had insurance on his boat. crapy thing is you pay deductable for everything individually.
I have my sled trailer insured the 26' enclosed and it costs approx $600 year to insure replacement cost. Alot of people think that your vehicle insurance will cover it and all the vehicle insurance pays for is the liability if something were to happen, not the collision replacement or repair. And if you rolled the trailer with sleds in it, they all fall under the individual sled policy's and if you don't carry collision on your sled you will be out of luck. Ask your broker/agent, and if they say your fully covered, ask for it in writing. Ive even heard from some that said all the sleds in the trailer are covered by there truck collision insurance, myself I have never heard of this and how can an insurance company cover a risk that they don't even know what it is? I would always ask for the policy and for the broker/agent to give you this in writing as its the wrong time to find out after an accident.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am with wawanesa and they quoted me as long as your sled is not under its own power and is in the trailer it is covered without collision.

Crazy8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you get that in writing from wawanesa. Me and a buddy rolled a truck last year, his truck (fully covered), my trailer (no coverage) and both of our sleds on trailer insured with no collision. The fine folks at Wawanesa would not even pay for tow to get the trailer out of the ditch even though it was still attached to the truck. Also wouldn't cover any damage to the sleds even though it was his truck and driving that caused all the mess. They even wanted me to pay half the storage fees at the tow yard because my trailer was there for 2 days. My buddy ditched the truck to avoid killing a bunch of peeps who decided to block both lanes of a devided hwy to inspect a little fender bender. Get this, insurance said we should have hit them and all would be covered, WTF?

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
5 years ago I roller my truck,trailer and two sleds into the ditch.Was not educated enough at the time about trailer/truck/sled coverage.Insurance covered all damage to the truck but nothing for the sleds or the trailer.Did not have seperate trailer insurance at the time.Only time the trailer is covered by the vehicle insurance is if it strikes another vehicle or comes loose for liability.The insurance company did not pay for the tow bill for the trailer or sleds.Both sleds are insuraned for liabilty,fire and theft only(older sleds and if I hit something myself,its my own stupid fault).It is strickly optional to have insurance on your trailer but I highly recomend it.Don't make the mistake I did and assume it's covered.Still paying for that mistake.I know people hate the thought of paying insurance,paying money you hope you never have to use,but with the crazy weather we have with all the wind and hail,insurance will cover all that damage too.A friend of mine has a 26 foot inclosed that suffered hail damage two year ago sitting in his yard.The insurance company paid him $5200 for damage.The trailer doesn't leak,and other that the roof,it doesn't even look bad....so now he has had two seasons of free sledding from the cheque the insurance company gave him.Even for $200 a year,it's cheap security if something does go wrong.

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$600 a year? I don't even pay that for my holiday trailer with full coverage, seems steep, imo.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay just over 100 for my 30ft. Worth about 10g. You also have to remember that the trailer is going to be detached most of the year soo what if it gets stolen. I wanted my trailer covered alll by itself unhooked from the truck and that's what they are charging.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay 340.00 per year for collision,fire and theft and a value of $10500.00 for the trailier. For fire and theft it was only 160.00+/-
The fellows that are only paying 1/2 this are your units covered for everything?

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my enclosed sled trailer all perils, that collsion included I pay $132.00, seems like some high pricing out there.
I pay 340.00 per year for collision,fire and theft and a value of $10500.00 for the trailier. For fire and theft it was only 160.00+/-
The fellows that are only paying 1/2 this are your units covered for everything?

KawisakiRider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it posted in the how to haul ur quads and trailer tread. Don't have the pic on my phone.

---
I am here:
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

freddys

Reaction score
if your running under your tow vehicals liability make darn sure that the trailer dont get loose from your truck. and my company claimed that the truck colision would aply but still limited by value of truck, example, truck worth 10000 and trailer worth 50000 trailer going to get screwd. how meny of you have a 30000 trailer with a few 15000 toys in it plus contents.

green-horn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depending on your Ins. Company they might cover your trailer under your home owners policy. Beware they are limits, and you would hate to find out the hard way!! Check with your insurance company!

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Depending on your Ins. Company they might cover your trailer under your home owners policy. Beware they are limits, and you would hate to find out the hard way!! Check with your insurance company!

With a holiday trailer your contents fall under your home owners policy. And contents do not include motorized vehicles. Ask your broker/agent. And people are correct your liability from the tow vehicle is carried forward unto the trailer.

Nick568

Reaction score
I have USAA on my truck and they do not cover the sleds or trailer. I have a policy for the sled with Allstate. They also cover the trailer. I had to give them the information for the trailer, but it's a part of my sled policy.
Bought the coverage last October. Had to use it this past January. :( Ambulance sitting in the middle of the road around a blind corner. No flares out or anything. Ditched the truck and trailer. Lost a tail light and messed up the front bumper and bedsides. Tongue snapped clean off the trailer. Fortunately, the sleds were strapped down good and I only had a cracked side panel on my sled. Allstate would only pay for $100 of towing, so I left the trailer in the ditch (who's gonna take it without a tongue?) and came back the next day with a bigger trailer to get it back to town.
Allstate covered the damage to the sled and trailer under 1 claim, so just 1 deductible. I actually thought the trailer was a 2005 and found out after the crash that it was actually a 1995. Still no problem with Allstate.
USAA covered the truck even though the first estimator I went to wanted to call USAA because he didn't believe my story. I told him to go f*ck himself and walked out and went to the next body shop.

Coverage with Allstate was good. But it was always a HUGE pain to get in touch with Allstate each time.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Insurance on my 2012 Legend 7x14 trailer is $155/yr.
I thought that was pretty cheap.

Bullseye

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Phoning my insurance agent today........you guys got my worried !!! :confused:
With all the idiot drivers (not me of course) now days......an accident is sure to happen at some point.

Top Bottom