Trailer battery charging system?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, running 2 x 6 volts. Have a solar charger hooked up and it is showing that the batteries are now fully charged. Check the monitor inside the trailer and it only shows the batteries as being "Fair". What's up with that? Even when plugged in to the house for a few days the battery monitor still reads "Fair". Never have I seen "Good". Batteries are not that old and have been stored inside with solar charging over the winter. Battery fluids are good. Have not checked the panel in the trailer yet to see if there is a blown fuse. Just looking for ideas.

Thanks

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check your batteries with a multimeter. if test good i would go with trailer gauge thingy poochied.

gr8tdragon

Reaction score
ZRrrr
I would do as Magnet says first and check with a multimeter for voltage amount coming from both batteries. Was your system originally a 12 volt battery system? If it was then the single 12 volt battery might have a slightly higher initial voltage. You can see this on your car. The 12 volt battery usually will run about 12.5 volts to 12.75 volts when the car is not running. So if your trailer was converted to the 2-6 volt battery system, its initial voltage might be 12.25 volts or less. The gauge in the trailer might just need recalibrating for the new system, if it is able to be calibrated. If not able to be calibrated then fair should be just fine as you know by other means that the batteries are fine when you started. Unless of course, it does not change from fair to poor when you are losing charge in your batteries. :(:( If this is the case, then you'll have to change the gauge.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have the batteries wired in series or parallel????

good point never thought of that if in parellel then would always only have 6 volts and gauge will be set for 12 probably wired wrong from factory in that case.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wired in series, and yes, it was a 12 volt battery before we bought it. After some internet reading it turns out that the idiot light monitors in the trailers are all but useless. Apparently there is such a small difference between what "poor", "fair" and "good" will give you that even with new batteries, as soon as there is even the smallest draw (like the propane monitor) it drops right away. Not sure if the monitor can be recalibrated but I will look into it. Best bet it seems is to use a meter and monitor from full charge, several random points, to an end point after a couple days dry camping. That will give me a baseline and some comfort factor readings along the way. Good thing is I have never seen "poor" on the idiot lights, but that doesn't surprise as I have never really taxed ther batteries heavily. You can buy better meters, but they are pricey. Hand held meter it is. If I discover anything interesting I will post it.

Thanks for the input.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ZRrrr I recent bought the (2 ) 6 V ( in series ) to replace my (2) 12 V ( in parallel) and my trailer gauge showed 2/3 at best yet the charge seemed to good and we had plenty of power for the weekend. I agree with the other posts that the (2) 6 V may collectivly have slightly less volts but more amp -hours of juice overall.

:d

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Murm, I have been to that site previously. Good info. I might try to find and install one of those gauges. Looks good to have.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Testing straight voltage can be deceiving, multimeter voltage test, and then use a battery hydrometer this will give you an indication of the ability of the battery to hold a charge or take to battery shop and have them do a draw test…..they simulate a load ….

You should also test your charging system in the trailer with the mutimeter, disconnect the battery and test at the battery cables to see what voltage it's charging at....should be atleast 14 volts.

Top Bottom