Trail fees.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So I am pretty frustrated with people and there ****ty attitudes towards supporting the local snowmobile clubs. My buddy overheard a guy bragging about not paying....really.... your riding a 17000 dollar sled on a smooth groomed trail and can’t part with 25.00.

Is this the norm in all areas? I would like to think for the most part people are great supporters

Fernie snowmobile club has done such great things lately. Very impressed with what they have accomplished in the last few years. kudos to all the volunteers .....,

D3613B17-7F58-4153-8D24-DEE63F46209E.jpg

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Imo FSA is a top notch club. I met the groomer last week when he came in for propane. Awesome guy. he said he amazed at the garbage that people leave at the cabins. I remember not too long ago when the trails were crap and not groomed properly. Every buddy of mine that comes in I make sure they pay the $25. When i see the trucks and all the gear in the staging area's and the money that this industry brings in is WOW. Keep in mind if the FSA wasn't around these great area's could be CLOSED. its not just the grooming, its the cabins that people use,the firewood at the cabins, the ability to fight to keep the area's open, the signage that is out there, the maps that are given out for free. I thank the dedicated FSA people that work so hard.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
imo for what all the trail pass covers its very reasonable priced, that money goes to alot more than what most people think. there is alot of time put in from clubs to keep these areas going for backcountry users,along with the time that is put into the cabins,wood, signs etc. people who arent willing to pay should just go to a farmers field and ride for a day then maybe they would appreciate what all the clubs do

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
It is the norm in most places (there are always a few everywhere) and to add insult to injury there are people who also steak into the riding area with local short cuts or back road ways to get into an area. I also see riders starting their day after the trail pass vendors have closed shop at 1:00 pm. All to save a few dollars.

When the chit hits the fan and the areas start closing and the CO's are out to enforce the closures then what? The whining begins. They think the light at the end of the tunnel will always be on and they also think it will never be a train. We as snowmobilers are walking a tight line with regards to the back-country closing and this fight can't be done without buckets of money. The environmental side has lots of money and resources and most is from large USA corporations. It is just a matter of time and the areas will be closing, IMHO. Yes, even the areas with Government agreements will be gone or drastically diminished.

So, not only are all the things that Lucky 7 mentioned going to suffer from these dead beats but our access is also going to suffer because there won't be enough money to fight the for the cause. These people are not only cheap, they are only thinking about themselves in a very selfish manner.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let’s hope Albertans govt switch enables us to reopen our areas. Sure be nice to POW WOW the Kananaskis jus sayin.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wife & i buy seasons passes on line. show the sticker and let er buck. no stopping to pay.

PolarisHighlifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Simply put if you can't afford to pay 25 bucks to ride a nicely groomed trail stay the F**k home. You just spent how many thousands of dollars on a sled,gear, etc and How much on hotels whats another 25 bucks. This money is not just play money for some group it goes to many different outlets that allow us to ride these areas and keep them in good condition.

Just my 2 Cents

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there are guys who don't want to pay ever and then there are guys who don't want to pay when the trail is in terrible shape and feel it is a money grab with no benefit.

Most clubs have good intentions and will groom if they can afford it but I have been to Fernie a few times when the girl collecting told me straight to my face that the trail had been groomed and it was definitely not. I still paid but it did leave a bad taste. 2 years ago now though.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there are guys who don't want to pay ever and then there are guys who don't want to pay when the trail is in terrible shape and feel it is a money grab with no benefit.

Most clubs have good intentions and will groom if they can afford it but I have been to Fernie a few times when the girl collecting told me straight to my face that the trail had been groomed and it was definitely not. I still paid but it did leave a bad taste. 2 years ago now though.

2 years ago they were definitely having grooming issues with the contract groomer I believe.

SicLoco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in the day, we use to pay for diesel to groom the trail out of our own pockets and I find it a little disturbing that someone as a guest to a local mountain would try to steal from the club!!

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have to say I do like the Alberta Snowmobile Associations way. You pay for your trail pass for the province and it is divided to the clubs. Day passes go direct to the club coffers. I have rode BC quite a bit, each and everyday we paid in, 4 days you easily pay for a year pass in Alberta. we have the best groomed trail, second to no one!!! But we have 50km each way.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Have also had this before where you show up and they haven't groomed for a week. At the end of the day it's a user fee not necessarily a grooming fee but it does leave you feeling a little slighted

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will gladly pay no matter what condition the trail is in. The money means a lot to the clubs and offers a lot more than strictly grooming. It is a real possibility that our government, feds or provs could take access to these areas away. We need to support the clubs, it is crucial to keeping this all going.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have also had this before where you show up and they haven't groomed for a week. At the end of the day it's a user fee not necessarily a grooming fee but it does leave you feeling a little slighted
True, but if the trail hasn't been groomed, I now have options to go anywhere as the lure of a smooth trail is gone. Just don't say it's groomed when it isn't. I'll make the choice from there.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will gladly pay no matter what condition the trail is in. The money means a lot to the clubs and offers a lot more than strictly grooming. It is a real possibility that our government, feds or provs could take access to these areas away. We need to support the clubs, it is crucial to keeping this all going.

That's actually not "supposed" to be true. Other than agreements with private land owners such as Fernie has, the majority of clubs in B.C. have management agreements with the provincial government that mandate the money from trail passes be used only for grooming costs (but not equipment purchase) and trail maintenance. Clubs that have been using this money to build cabins and other non trail related expenses are being looked at by the government and are likely going to be in hot water. If a club used that money to buy a groomer it legally becomes the property of the province. If you really want to help the club you're much better off to buy a membership. So far they can use that money anywhere.

Last edited:

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get it that $25 is not a big amount for single riders who only have to pay for themselves. What about a family of 4 or 5? That adds up in a hurry if you go for a few days. And you can be pretty sure they aren't all riding $17,000 sleds. I'm not saying that you should not pay trail fees but what options are there in those areas for a family other than staying home? I'm pretty sure the business owners appreciate them coming to town. A reasonably priced yearly provincial/state wide pass like in Alberta and Montana seems to be a better option. Pay once and you're done with it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I get it that $25 is not a big amount for single riders who only have to pay for themselves. What about a family of 4 or 5? That adds up in a hurry if you go for a few days. And you can be pretty sure they aren't all riding $17,000 sleds. I'm not saying that you should not pay trail fees but what options are there in those areas for a family other than staying home? I'm pretty sure the business owners appreciate them coming to town. A reasonably priced yearly provincial/state wide pass like in Alberta and Montana seems to be a better option. Pay once and you're done with it.

a family pass would be an awesome idea. It's been asked for here in Alberta as well and rumor has it coming for the 2019/2020 sled season Alberta will have a youth pass (13 years of age and younger)

Top Bottom