Tracks on a ATV - need some info/guidance

wayupnorth

Reaction score
ive seen a couple quads around with tracks on them and i was kinda thinking about doing it.

but ill be honest, i know NOTHING about them.

i did do some looking around on the internet and there seems to be people that either love them or hate them.

the people that hate them all seem to have the same complaint, and that is that either the tracks break off the quad or the quad dies because of the tracks.

the people that have them and love them think they are the best thing since sliced bread.

so i guess my question is this (or a couple questions)

1. i picked up a used skidoo when i purchased my new quad last year and i cant seem to get into the whole sled thing, so these tracks looks like a better option to me, is it?

2. what are they like for price? i had heard around 2,000 but i cant seem to find any on the internet for less then 3k

3. are they only for use in the snow?
ya cant run them all year in the mud and grass?

would i be better to invest my money in a set of mud paddle tires and a second set of rims or should i kick out the money on a set of tracks and use those instead.
selling off the skidoo would get me pretty close to the cost of getting them.

so its either get a set of paddle tires for the mud and use the skidoo in the winter, or sell of the sled and pick up the tracks and use that in the winter.

any suggestions or history from anyone with this?

thanks in advance!

KLX140

Reaction score
Hmmm... more into the ATVing mmyself, and I think tracks are a ton of fun!!
Ive only been on 1 "track ride" and it was in a mix of conditions, a bit of snow, a bit of slush, abit of mud, the works. The tracks where great all round, but more fun on the snow than anything. They do make "All Seasons", that are suppose to be good for everything.
Camoplast is probbably the way to go in my opinion, Polaris makes some, and I know Kimpex has some too, but everyone raves about the Campolast Tatou 4S. $3000 is pretty good for what Ive been finding, mostly more expensive!
Keep your eye out int eh sprong, every now and then yuo can pick up a used set, and see waht you think without paying full price....

fhe

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Go "Trackshare.com" or "atvtracks.net" for info on ATV tracks. Trackshare.com is a site of just guys with tracks and on all kind of machines, from the US to Canada. Good reading and lots of pics and feedback.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had tracks on 3 atv since 07 and put on 2000 mi per year average. Tons of fun, Zero damage or extra maintenance to ATV. EXpect to pay 3500-4000 incl. taxes. ATV's fuel consumption will double and top speed will be cut in half.

Ignore the nay sayers or guys that don't have tracks, CAUSE THEY JUST DON'T KNOW or are just expanding on rumours they've heard.

I agree with fhe about going to trackshare.com (Winnipeg based) where you will find practical experience on your type of atv.

good luck with your descision.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's my buddy from Brooks Ab., 08 500X2

Attachments

• P3110004.jpg
    P3110004.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 139

Brute Force Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought a set of used tracks for my rzr this past summer, they worked great, there was almost nothing I couldn't get through, they were awesome in the skeg and mud.

I did end up selling them just before christmas, they didn't suit my riding, mostly faster through trails and tight treed areas.
I found the tracks rather slow and very rough even though I had my shocks set to soft, I found the tracks would grab things on the trails, you had to keep a firm hand on the wheel or you were going for a ride.
Now keep in mind this is a sxs not a atv and I didn't use them a lot durring the winter as I thought I would (just never found the time).

I would say, look at where you ride, I believe there is a lot of skeg in Ft. V? They may be just what you need.

szprod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to switch from the tracks to tires and back again?

wayupnorth

Reaction score
ya,

my main goal is to put them on for the winter only and go back to the tires in the summer and the mudders in the fall/spring.

im just trying to decide if selling off my skidoo and putting that money towards putting tracks on my quad is worth it.

that way i can get the money out of my quad, hehe.

and i find the ride on the quad is much nicer then the skidoo.
comfort wise.

hmmm, ill go check those sites.

thanks guys!

Top Bottom