track swap issues??

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
kinda confused here, i took my stock 154 track and pitched in the bushes and put on a camo extreme 163 2.5'' and smething doesnt seem right. makig a noise thats almost like a clearance issue but been checkig everything over and over again and cant come up with a reason for it curious has anyone else had this issue or have anny suggestions?

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SO you put a 163 track on a 154. Lets assume you also either changed the rails or put extensions on it, as I can't imagine you wouldn't have, but you didn't mention it.

When is it making a noise? When you roll it by hand, or when you have the sled running under power on snow? Rolling it over by hand isn't loading the track, you are actually pushing it against the drivers . When under power the drivers pull the track tight and will usually cure any clearance issues.

Really you are only playing with 1/4" clearance, its tight.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used extensions yes, it makes the nois slightly under power and then very loud when you let go of the throttle on hold back

robhayward

Reaction score
I'd try tightening it some. I have a 2.5 on a 09 and it works fine but the track can't be loose enough on the drivers or it'll rub directly above the drivers, not on the heat exchanger.

i used extensions yes, it makes the nois slightly under power and then very loud when you let go of the throttle on hold back

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i tried that, when i jack the back of the sled up i have about 2 fingers widths between the track and sliders the way it is now! how tight do u run yours?

robhayward

Reaction score
i tried that, when i jack the back of the sled up i have about 2 fingers widths between the track and sliders the way it is now! how tight do u run yours?

Tighter I guess. Two fingers with weight? or if you hung 10 pounds on there it'd be more? There's been a ton of talk about how loose a track can be and the repercussions. No one ever says "damn, it's not running very good or is making a noise" because the track is too tight.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
track and drivers are both 3. pitch. rule of thumb i always used with extroverts for setting track tension was to jack the back of the sled and run the track around 1.5-2'' of space between track and sliders and never had issues before?

robhayward

Reaction score
track and drivers are both 3. pitch. rule of thumb i always used with extroverts for setting track tension was to jack the back of the sled and run the track around 1.5-2'' of space between track and sliders and never had issues before?

1.5-2" of space without weight is too loose. If you put 10lbs on it and get 1-1.5" then I'd say your good.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well ill try setting it tighter, never had to run it that tight before but worth a try

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doubt its the track tension. If it was too loose you would possibly have issues with it ratcheting.

Are the paddles full width on your track? The early 3.0 pitch tracks were, then they all went to inset paddles. You went with 8 tooth drivers in the 3.00" pitch? I would have went 7 tooths with the 2.5" track.

If the paddles are full width you might have a few rivets that are not fully clearing the paddles, especially on the '08. With the back of the sled raised try and see near the front of the skid if it is clearing properly.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i used 7 tooth drivers and the track i got has paddles inset a half inch

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got tunnel stifners but never had an issue with the real 16 wide track, have been looking and theres no sign of it touching anything

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
think i just found my problem, hoisted the sled as high as i could in my shop and crawled under it, the left side driver is pressed to the center 1/8 of an inch and the side of the extrovert is actually touching as it goes into the port of the track, glad i spent $100 to have it "profesionally" pressed on, guess i should have just done it myself!!! very unimpressed!!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
think i just found my problem, hoisted the sled as high as i could in my shop and crawled under it, the left side driver is pressed to the center 1/8 of an inch and the side of the extrovert is actually touching as it goes into the port of the track, glad i spent $100 to have it "profesionally" pressed on, guess i should have just done it myself!!! very unimpressed!!!

yep....had about 3 of mine proffesionally installed. same deal. some of them i couldnt even get back into the tunnel they were so off. i need to buy a press.

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you and me both! this is bull crap cause theres only one way to fix that and im not to thrilled of the idea of tearing it apart again. take it to where they were professionally pressed on and tell them its their f up they can take care of it but im sure we all know where that would get me !!

Ekim

Reaction score
Did you have any issues when applying the brakes? My 2.5 track seems to rub when I apply the brakes.

Last edited:

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you have any issues when applying the brakes? My 2.5 track seems to rub when I apply the brakes.
Ill let you know once i put it back together. Should be getting at it first thing in morning and ill keep u posted

sledheadrevxp

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well turns out mine does the same thing. Not even if i touch the brakes but just on hold back you can hear the track rubbing. Sure glad i didnt try stuffing that 3" under it.

Top Bottom