Track length

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there really much difference in track lengths other than the obvious(length). Would a guy find much difference between say a 154" and a 163" track. The 163" covers more area so should have more floatation....right? Longer track would be slower, but not looking to win any races. Whats the manouverability differences.....is it really that noticable? Need a little help here please before I make the purchase.Thanks:beer:

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there really much difference in track lengths other than the obvious(length). Would a guy find much difference between say a 154" and a 163" track. The 163" covers more area so should have more floatation....right? Longer track would be slower, but not looking to win any races. Whats the manouverability differences.....is it really that noticable? Need a little help here please before I make the purchase.Thanks:beer:

yes it does make a huge difference.. the length diff overall is 9 inches which equates to about 4 - 4.5" on ground...it increases your floation big time. theres not a big loss in speed, and if u desire u can always gear up its cheap..but i run a 16 x 162 and its a big diff compared to a 15" 159, as far as throwing it around it takes a little bit more "tongue to the left" action but the benefits far outway any disadvantages,, unless ur a trail rider....

just my two bits

T

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

are you looking at a doo,,,,

the shorter track is much easier to turn in tight spots, I have riden most from 144 to 163, I am a bit shorter 5'8" and I perfer the 150ish track for all around riding and some jumping, but if ya want to go strait to the top go looong,,

but it comes down to the rider, my 151 will out climb lots of 163s if ya know what I mean

good luck get the 154 Doo it lol,

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have it right. A longer track floats better, but it is harder to throw around. For all around riding the 154 is a nice track and still works well in the powder.

bayman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an '07 summit X 159" right now that I rode last year and dropped the motor. Bought a used motor and did some clutching and the thing rips pretty good, just nervous about the crank in the '07. With the snow conditions the way they were last year, I only put 500 miles on it so can't say I learned how to ride it that well. Sooooo....how would I fair with an 860 BB with a 163" track? Or should I get a new 154" XP or a 153" M8...(thinking of changing brands as well) and be done with it.....warrenty and chit ya know.

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 151 on my last sled and it worked awesome but now i have a 163 and it works even better.Its a little tougher to turn but I wouldnt turn one down for that.Thinkin of switching brands for chits and giggles but it will be the longer of the two tracks again.The 163 I find is very forgiving if you bugger up in goofy spots just squeeze the throttle and usually take off again.(this pisses my buddies off with their 151's):rolleyes::beer:

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caddy, I hope you weren't refering to me in that remark, I seem to recall having to dig your tractor tire out a few times last year!! lol.
I'm a smaller rider and like JohnyT says the 151 takes me anywhere I want to go. Depending on your size and style of riding is how you should make your decision.
Have fun with whatever way you go.

caddy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caddy, I hope you weren't refering to me in that remark, I seem to recall having to dig your tractor tire out a few times last year!! lol.
I'm a smaller rider and like JohnyT says the 151 takes me anywhere I want to go. Depending on your size and style of riding is how you should make your decision.
Have fun with whatever way you go.

you dont know how glad i was to have you there to help me dig that pig out those times!the xp is only ltght weight in the shop when shes dry!lol.I was thinking of the time at Bordertown and digging yours out as i dug a big trench and kept on going.Thats the goofy spots that make ME chuckle.:beer::beer::rolleyes:

Top Bottom