TRA Clutch disassembly

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I probably should switch to water trick but I'm getting some reps in using my puller to pop my clutch when I switch between home weights and mountain weights. I find it works best to tighten the puller with a breaker bar pretty tight, then tap the puller with a hammer, tighten a bit more, tap a bit more... definitely works better than just tightening. As my bent puller will attest.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I probably should switch to water trick but I'm getting some reps in using my puller to pop my clutch when I switch between home weights and mountain weights. I find it works best to tighten the puller with a breaker bar pretty tight, then tap the puller with a hammer, tighten a bit more, tap a bit more... definitely works better than just tightening. As my bent puller will attest.

You should never hit your crank or anything bolted to your crank with a hammer! It's hard on the bearings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clay911

Reaction score
I've used boiling water over bottom of clutch, with puller tightened to 110 flbs

Boy does it bang lol

Thats how i used to do mine until i had a sled that even when torqued properly 5 kettles of boiling water wouldnt take the clutch off so had to try the water trick and have no looked back since. i dont even have to use clutch puller to hold the clutch when putting bolt back in.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One thing that helps a bit, is to put the tiniest amount of anti seize on the taper. Just enough to coat the metal, and wipe off. It's kinda like seasoning a frying pan..LOL

Limbo

Reaction score
One thing that helps a bit, is to put the tiniest amount of anti seize on the taper. Just enough to coat the metal, and wipe off. It's kinda like seasoning a frying pan..LOL

Isn't the clutch held in place on the crank by friction? I'm not sure you should be doing anything that would compromise this.....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't the clutch held in place on the crank by friction? I'm not sure you should be doing anything that would compromise this.....
The older Tra had splines, where the 7 is just a tapered fit

That's y bolt torque is so critical, and rechecked it

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The older Tra had splines, where the 7 is just a tapered fit

That's y bolt torque is so critical, and rechecked it

Don't think I would put any thing on the tapers... Just me tho

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It reduces the removal effort slightly next time round. It's not like I am greasing it, I wipe it off completely with a rag, I am just reducing the corrosion that forms with the dissimilar metals..
and trust me it doesn't slip.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just been working on installing a rooster built kit in my XM. Got the secondary done with little trouble, when i got the primary popped off i've been having a heck of a time separating the sheaves. I've gave the bolt a few pretty stiff whacks with the hammer, even flipping it and smacking it on the floor with no luck. Any ideas on what else i can do?? This is my first time dealing with the Doo clutches, i left my last two stock. Thanks in advance for any help.
Usually I don't have to much trouble getting mine apart but today I had to smack it on the floor pretty hard to get them to fall apart.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually I don't have to much trouble getting mine apart but today I had to smack it on the floor pretty hard to get them to fall apart.

I was starting to wonder after the first few times i whacked it off the floor too, but then she popped apart. At least now i know what to expect.

Top Bottom