TRA Clutch disassembly

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Generally they get the bushing from BRP, it is just the ones used in the 600rs race sleds. I had one installed in the big bore, to be honest they don't last that much longer.

Well then I must be having really good luck with them

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the OEM bushings. They hold up well.
Is this a stock BRP kit or aftermarket? I could not find a kit that had the upgraded aftermarket bushings and rooster built did not have them at the time when I spoke with Paul and Dave. I did not want to put the stock bushings back in from BRP.

Clay911

Reaction score
Did you notice rpm fade at full wot with the tra clutch before you pulled it apart? 7900 down to 73-7400 rpm

I had RPM fade starting and was lacking overall performance with shifting and RPM, my biggest find was how badly sagged the Springs were. Just doing the bushings while i am in their. And Ski-Doo does not offer the secondary ones so just got them all from Hi Torque. Im ok with doing bushings once every 2000km to keep it running top.

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had RPM fade starting and was lacking overall performance with shifting and RPM, my biggest find was how badly sagged the Springs were. Just doing the bushings while i am in their. And Ski-Doo does not offer the secondary ones so just got them all from Hi Torque. Im ok with doing bushings once every 2000km to keep it running top.

I had the exact same issue. These tra clutches are not as bullet proof as people think they are. I agree with you springs and bushings almost every year.

Summitdoorule

Reaction score
Just a reminder to line up the mark on the end of the shaft to the 9mm circle (the Big circle)on the top of the out side of the Primary Shiv for indexing... A must for balancing your Primary Clutch on the Crank Shaft...

InFeRnO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You probably clean the clutches fire that will help with long life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very meticulous when it comes to keeping my sled running the best it possibly can. The clutches come apart every season or twice a season depending on how much I ride. The one thing with the roosterbuilt kit that Paul and Dave warned me about was that it comes with a much stiffer prim/sec spring so be sure that the clutch is cleaned every year and all the wearable parts are inspected and replaced as necessary. If you keep up on the maintenance then your laughing

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do mine probably every 4th weekend. If you keep the dust from building up, they last.

The clutch dust is the killer.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to take mine off after 2700 km

But blow it out every 2nd real good

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree, just blowing the dust out of both clutches will help with longevity. Heat is also a factor, we make a lot more heat on the hill than cruising the trails.
The alternate bushings are from the older TRA. I dont recall part numbers. Specialty likes to switch to the older bushings, I have had good luck with the latest BRP parts as well.
One key to bushing life is keeping the slider buttons and o rings in perfect condition, once those start to wear on the side or deteriorate, then the movable sheave can wobble more which accelerates bushing wear.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have found that sometimes the new brp kit, the governor cup new is as loose as the old one

Get a different kit from there stock and way tighter

Not consistent

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I took off my primary I just marked three spots so it would go on the exact same way but I noticed that the 9mm circle on primary did not line up with notch on shaft? Does that matter?

Clay911

Reaction score
I have found that sometimes the new brp kit, the governor cup new is as loose as the old one

Get a different kit from there stock and way tighter

Not consistent
Funny you say that, I have ran into that more then once. Even microed them and the new was wider then the used one. How does that make sense??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny you say that, I have ran into that more then once. Even microed them and the new was wider then the used one. How does that make sense??
Dunno, but I make sure my new governor cup is tight ( bring shaft into parts) and check before I buy it lol

Have seen 2 looser new ones in 5, was doing 3 buddy's clutches... and I mean looser new than old one with 2000 km lol

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The spring cap bushing is a compression type material. It will be a little snug until ran, then the material compresses to spec. clearances under use. Every new cap I have seen the last few years has been snug to the shaft when installed.

sledder325

Reaction score
I just wanna say i was trying to take off my primary clutch today. I had the puller bolt and the clutch holder i was putting so much torque on the wrench trying to pop off the clutch even had a big pipe over the breaker bar for even more torque no way that it would pop off, so i decided to try the water trick i heard about it and was sceptible but decided to try it. It popped off in two point two didnt even have to use a clutch holder man i am big time surprised how easy that was using the water trick, whoot whoot man we need snow in them there hills also but it will come, braap braaap

Clay911

Reaction score
You are crazy lucky you did not break that puller off in your clutch using a breaker bar never mind a snipe.

The water trick is amazing the first time.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL Funny thing about removing clutches,,

I helped a friend and showed him how to do some maintenance on his sled and one of those rings were to remove his clutch. He cranked and cranked and it wouldn't come loose I told him to hit the shaft with a heat gun and BANG!!

He turned white, and thought he broke the crank.LOL

You are crazy lucky you did not break that puller off in your clutch using a breaker bar never mind a snipe.

The water trick is amazing the first time.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL Funny thing about removing clutches,,

I helped a friend and showed him how to do some maintenance on his sled and one of those rings were to remove his clutch. He cranked and cranked and it wouldn't come loose I told him to hit the shaft with a heat gun and BANG!!

He turned white, and thought he broke the crank.LOL
I've used boiling water over bottom of clutch, with puller tightened to 110 flbs

Boy does it bang lol

Top Bottom