photo 1-3.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 256
  • photo 2-2.jpg
    photo 2-2.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 253

Winter Brew

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good looking tire with the sidewall tread.
I've had the old Open Country on 2 different trucks, on the Powerstroke I didnt care for them at all and got rid of them. On the F150 I really like them....the truck had them when I got it and would definately run the II's on THIS truck. I can see how some guys would not like them, I guess the truck/wheel/tire size can make or break any tire.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. They must have improved a lot. I had open country a/t's on one of my old work trucks and brand new they were a complete step down from the bald silent armors the truck had on it. Basically I found them like the M55.... a cock stiff tire that may wear forever but has the winter and mud traction of a hard plastic wheel on a kids Power Wheels

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am just in the market to buy new tires after taking my winters off. Have approx 85,000 km on my Toyo M/T 35 x 12.5 x 20 and they are great! Dont need such an aggressive lug so thinking to go with an A/T. Just got back from Kal Tire and they are selling Nitto's which is produced at the same plant as Toyo's. Anybody heard of them or experience with them?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting. They must have improved a lot. I had open country a/t's on one of my old work trucks and brand new they were a complete step down from the bald silent armors the truck had on it. Basically I found them like the M55.... a cock stiff tire that may wear forever but has the winter and mud traction of a hard plastic wheel on a kids Power Wheels

This sums up my feelings of the original AT very accurately.

growly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's a reason I now have studded winter tires and run my Toyo's in the non snow conditions. They were OK for the 1st winter but after that, not very good in the snow, mud there OK. About 40,000 on them and 10/32 tread left. I bought them because there were only 2 tires in the size I wanted. 285/75/17 or 34".

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yup..

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buddy has Nittos on his chev, worst tire he has ever ran in the winter. Nice looking tire but no traction whatsoever on icy roads or in the snow, only reason he bought them was because of the smokin deal he got on them. He puts on about 80,000km a year so he'll be going back to duratracs before next winter.

I am just in the market to buy new tires after taking my winters off. Have approx 85,000 km on my Toyo M/T 35 x 12.5 x 20 and they are great! Dont need such an aggressive lug so thinking to go with an A/T. Just got back from Kal Tire and they are selling Nitto's which is produced at the same plant as Toyo's. Anybody heard of them or experience with them?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tks for the feedback. I ended up ordering the Toyo AT 2 as they have a 80,000 km warranty on them and I also heard / read the nittos dont do so well with loads.

Buddy has Nittos on his chev, worst tire he has ever ran in the winter. Nice looking tire but no traction whatsoever on icy roads or in the snow, only reason he bought them was because of the smokin deal he got on them. He puts on about 80,000km a year so he'll be going back to duratracs before next winter.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nitto's are terrible. I ran a set for 29000 kms and took them off as just about worn out, and replaced with Duratracs. Never again for Nittos

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got my new Toyo AT 2 installed and put 80 km and wow what a nice quiet ride (compared to what I was used to). Lets hope they hold up as the promote.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Duratracs look interesting. How is the noise with thus tire on the highway?

I am still skeptical about good years as I have had 3 blow outs on my last set if silent armies, one at highway speeds!

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I am still skeptical about good years as I have had 3 blow outs on my last set if silent armies, one at highway speeds!

My buddy has them on his '09 Dmax and if you ask me, they aren't very quiet. Unless a tire has middle tread, you will have road noise at higher speeds.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Noisey, crap for traction and I have had 2 blow out on me on the highway. Granted I run Silent Armors now which one also recently did an insta flat trick on me and get ruined on the highway..... but having a 1" bolt jammed in it probably had something to do with that.

However traction wise the Silent armors are better overall than the Duratracs and have nothing for roadnoise in comparison.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My duratracs are louder than the Nokian Vativas they replaced but between my noisy VP44 Cummins and the tunes I don't notice them at all. I'm surprised to hear guys like the silent armours I'm not a fan and everyone I know with a bush truck has been swapping them out for duratracs.

Badass69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because just like having a lifted diesel truck that rolls coal everywhere, if you don't have a noisey wannabe mud tire you just aren't cool in "the patch", or "in the bush", or "in the coal pit" etc. Or my personal favorite that covers a majority of the owners...... the paved highways and parking lots they never leave, Lol.

Last edited:

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you look around at what alot of the companys are running you will see that they are Duratracs due to traction and the snowflake on the side. The Silent Armour are a little better in the winter but not even in the same ball park when it comes to summer conditions and wet weather.
The Goodyear are bad for rock drilling once they were down to the last 30% if you drive alot of gravel.
Toyo MT are tough to beat for gravel and mud but to noisy .
I have tried every tire that has been talked about on this subject other than the TOYO AT2 and have liked the Duratrac the best.
Quite a few hundreds of thousands of KMS over the years . lol

Top Bottom