towing tent trailers with a rubicon unlimited

Reaction score
Was thinking about getting a rubicon unlimited for doing some offroading, it's rated at 3500 lb towing capacity and i currently have a coleman e series popup trailer that is rated at approx. 2500lbs dry and 4400gvwr. The trailer tongue weight is listed as 400 lbs. Jeep specs state the rubicon unlimited 350 lbs max tongue. I have been towing the trailer in the past with a '98 grand cherokee using trailer brakes and equalizing hitch. I don't intend to haul a quad on the rv deck of the trailer, but use it to haul the kid bicycles, coolers and firewood. I'm wondering if anyone has done any towing with a similar setup.

Attachments

• DSC01082.jpg
    DSC01082.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 233

05 rm250 rocket

Reaction score
had a jeep just like that the only problem with the jeep is the 3.8l motor is pretty wimpy comes out of the caravan. the jeep is boxy and does not like the wind on the highways . i used to pull to dirt bikes on the trailer it was working all the time.

Reaction score
i kinda figured as much about the engine. i only planned to do short hauls may three times a year but if it worked yours that hard maybe i'll have to reconsider. it does give the grand cherokee a pretty decent workout, it does allright for a power unit that has 350 000kms..but she's very tired.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if your going to haul with a jeep at least the rubicon is a good start. with the rubicon you get 4:10 gears and coupled with the 6 speed it does alot better than a x or sahara or whatever other model they have now a days with the 3:73s. i had a 07 2dr rubicon with a 6 speed and hauled my 2 place trailer all over the place. granted that was only 2500 pounds loaded down though...

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sound like we are going to get rid of the truck and tj and buy a new sahara unlimited. I will be waiting until the 2012 comes out. It is supposed to have a better engine in it. If you want to haul with it I would suggest you wait until the new one comes out too.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
Contact AEV out of Montana. They are the official importers of the J8. It comes complete as a rolling chassis, all that has to be added is the engine. AEV dealers will drop either the 5.7 hemi or a 2.8crd into it.

I see these guys at SEMA every year, they have awesome stuff.

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
when i bought my 2007 2dr rubicon JK i payed $35,700 otd with a warn 9500lb winch and a steel bumper from mopar ($2500 in extras). the unlimited versions were aprroximately $4000 more if i remember correctly, so $36000 +/-, but still no diesel:(
i figure next time its go big or go home, saw some pictures of a viper V10 dropped into a jk. now were talkin!:d:beer: i found these pics of the V10 dropped into a TJ...

Attachments

• 0710_4wd_02_z+2006_jeep_wrangler_v10+viper_motor[1].jpg
    0710_4wd_02_z+2006_jeep_wrangler_v10+viper_motor[1].jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 104
  • 0710_4wd_20_z+2006_jeep_wrangler_v10+front_view_downhill[1].jpg
    0710_4wd_20_z+2006_jeep_wrangler_v10+front_view_downhill[1].jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
when i bought my 2007 2dr rubicon JK i payed $35,700 otd with a warn 9500lb winch and a steel bumper from mopar ($2500 in extras). the unlimited versions were aprroximately $4000 more if i remember correctly, so $36000 +/-, but still no diesel:(
i figure next time its go big or go home, saw some pictures of a viper V10 dropped into a jk. now were talkin!:d:beer: i'll see if i can find those pics back...

The J8 is no JK, the difference is akin to a H1 and a H2. The J8 is built to military specs, even though it looks the same it shares practically nothing with the JK (or Rubi). Chassis, frame, body panels are all different. Having said that the J8 is significant overkill for all but severe overland or rock crawling use.

If you'd like to test your off road driving skill in a controlled (and legal) environment try the Safari Park east of Sherwood Park. It's not a bad way to spend a Sunday afternoon and will allow you to test the limits of your driving skill.

Reaction score
I was thinking about supercharging it, is the jeep rated at 3500 because of the wheelbase and light weight, the suspension, or the powerplant? Would supercharging it just put it in an early grave? I'm going to be hauling three kids around with me, I Don't really want to have a "maybe if your carefull and lucky". Last vehicle I towed with was a 2002 dodge 3500 cummins..and i hauled a 34 foot trailer all around the states and back for 2 years so i never really worried about what I hooked onto. I thought the jeep would be fitting for a great getaway...pull the trailer out, unhook, do some mountain biking maybe throw a canoe or zodiac on..do a little offroad as well. Maybe the fj would be better suited.

Reaction score
why is it that jeep continues to sell these things year after year without optional engines...lol! I guess I should ask why I am trying to sell myself on it!

05 rm250 rocket

Reaction score
I was thinking about supercharging it, is the jeep rated at 3500 because of the wheelbase and light weight, the suspension, or the powerplant? Would supercharging it just put it in an early grave? I'm going to be hauling three kids around with me, I Don't really want to have a "maybe if your carefull and lucky". Last vehicle I towed with was a 2002 dodge 3500 cummins..and i hauled a 34 foot trailer all around the states and back for 2 years so i never really worried about what I hooked onto. I thought the jeep would be fitting for a great getaway...pull the trailer out, unhook, do some mountain biking maybe throw a canoe or zodiac on..do a little offroad as well. Maybe the fj would be better suited.

just wait till next year 2012 chrysler has the new pentastar motor 3.6l dohc 280/290 horse torque ratings around 260 they will be using this motor to replace 7 different motors in various vehicles / as for supercharging the 3.8 l motor you would be crazy just look online at the reviews on reliablility this motor will not handle the stress of a sprchrg.

Vaughn @ Marathon Decks

Reaction score
If you recall, the wrangler used to be offered with an optional engine...the 6 cylinder. The four banger was the standard.

Even with a new engine rated in the high 200s for HP I wouldn't tow much with a wrangler. The 4.0 V6 in my FJ has that type of power/tq rating, and a 5000lb tow rating, but I wouldn't tow anything larger than an adventure trailer with it for any long distances.

Adventure Trailers

The wheelbase is too short, and the damn shape of these things makes it too fuel inefficient as it is (wrangler an fj share a very blocky shape with an extremely upright windshield).

If you insist on modding replacing the filter box, muffler, and a chip will improve your throttle response and do something for your mpg on the 3.8. Stay away from the throttle body spacer--just a gimmick. Generally the best bang for your buck is to do nothing--all this stuff takes too long to pay for itself in improved mpg. Pack light, don't travel long distances towing, drive slow (how many half-tons towing a trailer or 5th wheel do you see with the hood up on the side of the highway in the summer? Lots).

If you do tow you can cheaply add air bags to the rear suspension, but more importantly check your tires. Methinks that you likely have P rated tires...replace them with LT rated tires. This is a safety concern and warrants investigation. Of all the off road situations I've been in with my kids in the car the most dangerous part of the trip is the asphalt ribbon leading to the trailhead.

Attachments

• IMGP1373.jpg
    IMGP1373.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 54
Top Bottom