Tow Rope - What's everyone using?

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The past few years, it seems like we've pulled out the tow rope more than in the past. Seems like we've either gotten more brave or more stupid in some of the pickles we've gotten ourselves into. (I think I know which one already...) I've snapped a few tow rops an am looking for something that is light and packable. I prefer to carry it in my pack incase a guy ever was separated from his sled and need it for survival reasons.

What is everyone using? Any suggestions on a new rope? I've been using a short bungee lead to reduce shock. I've actually been thinking of a watersports rope (made for pulling tubes behind the boat) as they have elastic built in. Suggestions?

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The past few years, it seems like we've pulled out the tow rope more than in the past. Seems like we've either gotten more brave or more stupid in some of the pickles we've gotten ourselves into. (I think I know which one already...) I've snapped a few tow rops an am looking for something that is light and packable. I prefer to carry it in my pack incase a guy ever was separated from his sled and need it for survival reasons.

What is everyone using? Any suggestions on a new rope? I've been using a short bungee lead to reduce shock. I've actually been thinking of a watersports rope (made for pulling tubes behind the boat) as they have elastic built in. Suggestions?

mule tape. it packs small and has a rating on it. used a dual hook snow bunje off the tow sled to the tow rope.

a guy had this Y shaped Klim tow rope thing on this trip i was on too.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score

Doo you ride with a group of Poo or AC riders? What's this thing you called a tow rope?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Doo you ride with a group of Poo or AC riders? What's this thing you called a tow rope?

it's what will drag your cocky a$$ out of the backcountry some day

and Mule tape is awesome stuff, can get it relatively cheap if you know anyone who pulls big cable for a living...... and by relatively cheap I mean free, as they throw it away by the mile.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
it's what will drag your cocky a$$ out of the backcountry some day

and Mule tape is awesome stuff, can get it relatively cheap if you know anyone who pulls big cable for a living...... and by relatively cheap I mean free, as they throw it away by the mile.

One button push probably deserves another button push, eh TylerG?

I have pulled my share and up some pretty steep twisty hills. Thought I'd wait for the uncocky replies before making any sense.......:noidea:

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One button push probably deserves another button push, eh TylerG?

I have pulled my share and up some pretty steep twisty hills. Thought I'd wait for the uncocky replies before making any sense.......:noidea:

I think he was trying to make a joke... Here's what I bring, gonna toss the rope in my pack this year. Also worth mentioning is I have a saw in my pack too...
egu6uruz.jpg

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mule tape. it packs small and has a rating on it. used a dual hook snow bunje off the tow sled to the tow rope.

a guy had this Y shaped Klim tow rope thing on this trip i was on too.

I have a roll of about 500ft of mule tape from a friend who pulls fibre for a living. It works good, but it doesn’t seem to stand up as well as I’d hope for. We’ve snapped it quite a bit from a mixture of rubbing on arms/bumpers and a few jolts to it.

Doug – surprisingly enough it’s not so much the Poos or Kitties (although a few kitty’s were included in this) as much as Don’t Nytro plus another Apex. Both have had their share of Electrical gremlins where we’ve towed for a fairly long ways out. I’m sure Andy could verify how tough of a pull that Nytro was out of the Pearly Gates a few years ago.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a tow rope from princess auto a few years back that loops through the ski loops and the 3 times it has been used in 7 years it is now called the Doo rope! Haha

skidplate

Reaction score
Tow rope with hooks, 10 or 15 foot length works well to wrap between the ski hooks and the bumper of the tow sled. keeps it tight for towing. You can get them at CT or PA for $15 for about a 10,000 tear weight and it's money well spent.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been packing a 10mm climbing rope for a few years along with a couple heavy locking carbiners & petzl rescue pulleys. Had to use it all to hand-bomb a sled out of an ugly creek bed last year. The rope has a little bit of stretch to it, but is quite a bit bigger and heavier than Mule tape. If I wasn't already set up, I'd be going with Mule tape also.

Dragonalain

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use a synthetic winch line with a eyelet on each end and it is super light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SNOW BUNGIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the one with two hooks. then just a nylon strap to lengthen it. can really fly through the bumps towing without wrecking anything

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The spare starter rope that comes in your tool kit (Doo) works well in a pinch.

somethingnuw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use construction crane straps work great... never broke one... open ended both sides soft enough to wrap around trees... ect ect...love em

C of Red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I also have the Steadymate tow strap from the sled shots video above. Absolutely love it, quick to hook up and packs small. I purchased it at the Doo dealer in Calgary. Works great for towing, pulling a sled out of a deep creek or tree well (with the snobunji) and pulling your bumper back out after hitting the tree (tied to vehicle hitch and reverse, lol).

Top Bottom