Tow Rope - What's everyone using?

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we've used dynamic climbing rope with carabiners on the ends for years. pulled out multiple sleds, works awesome, carbiners clip right over the a-arms make it easy and safe to hook up also. would never use anything else.

because of the stretch we've also hooked it between two sleds and pulled stuck sleds out of creeks as it gives the bungee effect so we don't have to get wet!

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Usually use a combination of tow bungee and a ratchet tie down. I like it cause if need be the ratchet can be used as a come along winch.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
snobunji and a sled tow rope has worked well. i also picked uup a 15 foot rope bunji at PA. pulled the ranger well when it overheated, ranger is 1800lbs or more fully loaded and extra mud. should pull out a sled i would think.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In the old days we used to tie them bumper to bumper so the guy on the dead sled didn't get buried in snow. Tail end's too tall on most sleds for that now. Now we long line them with whatever rope was on sale at CT so the guy in the back has at least some chance of getting over to the side to avoid the rooster tail of snow from the tow sled.

Of course I ride a Cat, so the rooster tail is not my problem! :smiliestirthepot:

Joholio

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Revmike, had to, loI! I carry around 100' of yellow 1/4" cheap rope and a couple old boat ropes as well as the long Snobunje with two hooks. I made a little birch handle about 6" long to two hand er. In the past I have tied the dead sleds ski directly to the bumper of the tow sled(remove belt on dead sled of course)

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Revmike, had to, loI! I carry around 100' of yellow 1/4" cheap rope and a couple old boat ropes as well as the long Snobunje with two hooks. I made a little birch handle about 6" long to two hand er. In the past I have tied the dead sleds ski directly to the bumper of the tow sled(remove belt on dead sled of course)
There's a pic for the ages lol

uploadfromtaptalk1410104982489.jpg

Sorry sparky had to too

Have a 20 foot cheaper small vehicle rope and a 30 foot one with skis hooks too... Plus old trusty snobunge

This day I lent my other rope out as came across a group half way up with a dead sled and out 5 no one had a rope

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we've towed more than a few out of some pretty sketchy spots using the method in your pic. sometimes have to bungee the ski tips to the running boards to keep em pointed straight, and go easy on the big bumps as to not tweak the tunnel. but it works great if you have some climbs to get out

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we've towed more than a few out of some pretty sketchy spots using the method in your pic. sometimes have to bungee the ski tips to the running boards to keep em pointed straight, and go easy on the big bumps as to not tweak the tunnel. but it works great if you have some climbs to get out

Every time I tried that way I bent the tunnel! If using two sleds to pull put a pulley in between them, that way the two sleds are always pulling with each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every time I tried that way I bent the tunnel! If using two sleds to pull put a pulley in between them, that way the two sleds are always pulling with each other.

Huh, pulley between sounds like a good idea..

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huh, pulley between sounds like a good idea..

Maxwell gave me that idea! I was telling him a story about trying to pull a sled with two sleds and 2 ropes, but that way only one sled is pulling at a time. With a pulley both are pulling

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use climbing rope with good climbing pulleys and strong climbing locking caribiners.

We had a sled stuck nose first in a deeeep tree well, and the branches were too thick to cut off just the rear bumper was accessible.. We attached the end of the rope to a tree, then to the sled with a pulley. then back to the tree with a pulley. Attach an able sled to the end of the rope and pull the sled out easy. You can also put a second pulley on the sled and tree to cut the effort in half.

Similar to this setup.

PulleySys3.png

Last edited:

wrivrdawg

Reaction score
I've used the Steady-mate tow system for a few years, have done a lot of pulls, came home a couple times on the hook myself. Never leave home without it. Bought it from Royal dist. dirt cheap and works flawlessly. We towed a fellow with a ranger up a really steep long hill once with two sleds, long rope and a pulley. He couldn't get back up the hill, first snow of the year and his winch also crapped out. We ripped him up like nothing, you are always pulling 2/1 like that, would work well in many situations.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use climbing rope with good climbing pulleys and strong climbing locking caribiners.

We had a sled stuck nose first in a deeeep tree well, and the branches were too thick to cut off just the rear bumper was accessible.. We attached the end of the rope to a tree, then to the sled with a pulley. then back to the tree with a pulley. Attach an able sled to the end of the rope and pull the sled out easy. You can also put a second pulley on the sled and tree to cut the effort in half.

Similar to this setup.

http://www.math2learn.org/files/fwsm/ForcesWorkSM.html.LyXconv/PulleySys3.png

I keep a rope hoist just like this in the truck in case we need it. You can lift up to 1,000 lbs in it. Have used mule straps, it works but will break and knots get too tight if you go on a long pull. Ratchet strap - always keep one in the sled, you can use them for anything. Used one last week to pull the serpentine tensioner and put the belt on my old mans truck (after he sent a rat around his pulleys and through his belt....smelled awful!) LOL story for another time....

Here's one from this spring - blown yammy with blown chaincase.....hahaha...this repair was sponsored by torque!

Attachments

• Tow a.jpg
    Tow a.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 120

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Maxwell gave me that idea! I was telling him a story about trying to pull a sled with two sleds and 2 ropes, but that way only one sled is pulling at a time. With a pulley both are pulling

Okay, I'm more a more visual learner than theoretical; we have to pull up some steep single track switch backs and we use two sleds in line and two ropes inbetween the sled. Where would I put the pulley?

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm more a more visual learner than theoretical; we have to pull up some steep single track switch backs and we use two sleds in line and two ropes inbetween the sled. Where would I put the pulley?
in those circumstances I guess the pulley would go in your storage bag.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yah you couldn't use it there. It would be more for pulling out of bowls. You tie the pulley to the dead sled then a single peace of rope from one sled through the pulley to the next sled. That way both sleds are pulling all the time.

Top Bottom